Basic's Soil - The Church - CFL Grow - 2014

basic

Hey everyone! This is Basic from Vancouver Island, BC

First grow journal here, so lets see how she goes! I'm growing a single plant from a feminized 'Church' seed from Greenhouse, a high yielding, mould resistant indica dominant hybrid. I'm working with a solid CFL closet setup, in Pro-Mix 'Potting Mix' soil. It is a mildly 'nuted' formula, though flushed for the seedling stage, with an organic nitrogen enhancer and coconut fiber for moisture retention.

As of now, the plant is about 4 days out of the soil,on a 20/4 light cycle and looking great. Planted in a #4 Grower (15.5 fl oz.) pot, she is straight as an arrow, with her first true leaves growing steadily. The false leaves are now yellowing at the tips. When the seed was planted, the root came up first but she quickly corrected herself, and I topped up with a thin layer of soil to cover the remaining exposed root. She is looking fantastic and I presume that issue has resolved itself. There are no signs of pests, excessive heat, or burn of any kind.

Moving on to the setup:

- [2] 26w CFL's on top - $9.89
- [4] 23w CFL's for the sides - $15.99
- Hanging lamp - $26.99
- Chain for height adjustment - $4
- [4] Clamp lights - 4 x $8.98
- 24" rack system adjustable in 1" increments - $24.99
- Heavy-duty mechanical timer - $7.99
- 7 outlet surge protector - $12.99
- 6" clip fan - $10.99
- 15.5 fl oz. pot (starter) - $1.99
- 3.2 gallon pot (finisher) - $5.49
- Dutch Master Gold veg nutes - A $14.99 + B $14.99
- *Working on finding appropriate monitoring equipment for my needs* (i.e. pH meter, thermo/hygro, etc.)
- Lazy Susan for easy manoeuvring :)

Total - $187.21 + tax

*I'll attach some photos of the setup (and seedling) at the end of this post*

These will not be the final ingredients. When the plant gets some decent foliage I plan on adding [2] 40w CFL's on top, and upping the 23w's on the sides to 26w's. I should point out that I have not begun feeding her anything other than the residual nitro boost from the soil (post flush), and don't plan on veg nute feedings until she is transplanted into the larger pot.

Thanks for everything in advance, and here's to a healthy, high yielding CFL grow!

IMG_171313.JPG
IMG_171718.JPG
IMG_171514.JPG
IMG_172516.JPG
IMG_173116.JPG
IMG_173219.JPG
IMG_171213.JPG
IMG_171017.JPG
IMG_170915.JPG
IMG_17079.JPG
IMG_170516.JPG
image10164.jpg

Re: Basic's Soil 'The Church' CFL Grow - 2014

Very nice intro. That plant has more light love then many I have seen lol. She is surrounded. Keep it growing green.

Thanks for the kind words :) I wish all was green but I seem to have a few issues...

The seed casing hung off of one of the false leaves for a day or so and I didn't want to pull it off, and it seems like it has gimped the leaf and I'm seeing some yellowing. In addition, the seedling is directly in the middle of the lights, but is bending to one direction. any input?

Thanks again!

IMG_173418.JPG
IMG_173618.JPG

Update: I had turned the side lighting off for the day because it felt a little excessive, but it turned out to be the cause of the bending, I turned the clamp lights back on and she's now growing straight as an arrow again :)

Do you plan on doing any LST with this grow ?

I was thinking that I would kind of play it by eye and tie down any branches that may get in the way of others. Curch is a bushy plant to begin with so I have a feeling some LST might come in handy. I was also thinking that the rack system I have in place will provide a variety of areas to grab onto. On a slightly related note, I'm entertaining the idea of topping her because i dont have the space for her to get any taller than 3.5 ft or so. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

Very nice . Maybe a little tying and a mini scrog .

Nice Photography dude! I like the lazy susan idea. The 4th pic from the top is a neat looking photo. Good luck with your grow.

Any ideas as to what I might expect as far as reprocussions for that underdeveloped false leaf? Should I be worried?

Thanks again

Any ideas as to what I might expect as far as reprocussions for that underdeveloped false leaf? Should I be worried?

Thanks again

>>> Thats a Cotyledon leaf; The seedling uses it for nutrients while it develops a root system. Sometimes they yellow and fall off, other times they don't. Just don't worry about it.

Thanks man, good to know! I'm interested in working out my nute program at the moment. I do have intermediate knowledge of the subject but when it comes to nutrients, I don't want to be too generous or anything. I'm using Dutch Master Gold veg nutes, and im wondering if anyone has some experience using a similar formula with a grow like mine... I'd love some input on where to go from here! Thanks everyone!

Hey everyone, just a quick photo update for day #7 out of the soil :)
image10237.jpg

Hey everyone! I'm posting an update with some photos for day 11 out of the soil. The Church has been flourishing, growing super fast and looking healthy. It's only day 11, and I transplanted a few hours ago into the 3.2gal pot. When I flipped the pot around and extracted the seedling, I saw a wonderful root ball forming. I gently loosened it up, and sunk her into her new home with a decent watering.

Here's a photo from yesterday (before transplant)

image10377.jpg

And here's a couple in her new 3.2 gallon home

image10378.jpg
image10379.jpg

I'm going to give it a week or so, then begin feeding her the Dutch Master Gold veg nute program. Anyways, let me know what you guys think! Thanks for reading and don't forget to sub! I'll be posting updates often from here on in :)

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom