Battling Mites My step by step process

Hello everyone thought I would post a helpfull tip to battling mites and how I have hopefully destroyed these pesky bastards.

Day 1: Received a small infested blueberry mother in a half milk jug pot from a friend.:cheesygrinsmiley: Took her home and used suran wrap and some tape to cover the moist soil. I had 4 gallons of 70 degree Ph'd water in a 5 gallon bucket and proceeded to drowned the bluberry plant. Lifting up and down carfully to try to remove these pesky kritters as much as I could. Then I put her in a high humid quarantine area after she dried. Humidity was about 50 to 65 %

Day 2: A break in the battle for whos plant this was and to vent some of the stagnent air out of the Quarantined area for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Day 3: Checked for infestation (noticable) and for any other type of problems that the plant might have had within this 3 day period, no other problems than mights. Took 8 fl oz of IMMUNOX pest and disease controll and mixed into a new 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of 70 degree Ph'd water and dunk the mother into the bucket ( the immunox was used previasly by my friend but mights grew immune to it). Then I let her dry out in the quarantined area with the door cracked to make sure it didn't get to humid while drying her. After she dried I close the door back up to reraise the humidity lvl back up.

Day 4: Checked for infestation ( still Noticable) Cracked the door for 2 to 2 1/2 hours again

Day 5: Infestation is still there but not nearlly as bad as the first day i got her no more than 2 to 3 might seen on every other leaf . Took mother out and dunked her in 4 gallons of 70 degree Ph'd water (fresh water). Then let her dry out in the quarantined area with the door cracked to make sure it didn't get to humid while drying her. After she dried I close the door back up to reraise the humidity lvl back up

Day 6: Still have a few survivours Went and bought some Neem Oil and mixed it with water, turned the mother upside down and sprayed the crap out of her.Then let her dry out in the quarantined area.

Day 7: Not nearly as many on her as day 5 . cracked the door for about an hour and closed it back up

Day 8: Nothing noticable no movement of any sort lookin through the magnifying glass. Retreated with dunking her in 4 gallons of 70 degree Ph'd water (fresh water). Then let her dry out in the quarantined area

Day 9: Nothing noticable again and again sprayed her with neem. Then let her dry out in the quarantined area.

Day 10: Nothing noticable and i will restart my process over for another 2 weeks just to be safe. but for the next 5 days i will let her grow normally and check for reinfestation on a day to day basis untill these 5 days are up I will also be adding a recipt Buy Akorn ... just to help with the preventive measure.

4 jalapenos
2 lemons
2 garlic cloves
2 drops Dawn dishwashing liquid
4 cups water - PH corrected

haven't really read the thread on posting pics and some are still pending approval but as soon i get the chance i will post them.
The_Battle_has_begun_010.jpg

What I used

The Drowning
The_Battle_has_begun.jpg

Temp and Humidity

I'd say jalapenos seem cool, but I evne get mites on my habaneros, even on the fruit!
If you've got the bread for that fancy Temp/hygrometer thingy, just buy some predator mites.
Throw them in there, and they'll accept your green card and assume residence. They will pop up when ever the bad mites show up.

I also have found that controlling umidity will control the mite population.

mites like dry conditions. Raise your humidity to about 70% to 75%. It will make other areas more inviting than what your grow room is. I use a product called mite rid. It's made in Australia. One application and a good room sanitising is all that's required. The 3 times I've had mites I was able to knock them out ASAP. And my first infestation was huge too. No prob for mite rid though. lol

Mite Rid is made from Neem Oil. I don't know much about Neem oil, as I don't use that, or anything that gets inside your plants, let alone with steroid components...

If the mites get in to your flowering chamber, you'll pretty much have to write the plants off. At that point you'll be fighting mites AND possible molds. Very little "bag appeal" (quite subjective term) to mite eaten buds, they just don't look good.

The beauty of the predator mites (goog-el "predator mites" you'll find plenty) is that they stay on your plants as you move them from veg to bloom, and can even rub off from the newly introduced to the older ones, that might not have as many.

Good luck! I hope you win.

I've not battled with mites yet... (knock on wood) but the predator mites worked very well for controlling fungus gnats. I think nematodes will work also, and may be a few $$$ cheaper than predator mites.

Either way.. get some sort of preventative into your flowering chamber ASAP.. just handling the mite infested plant can brush the eggs off onto your clothes or shoes, and then you'll carry them into the flowering chamber inadvertently...

Peace
MC

I posted this on another thread about mites. This shit mite rid is probably the best remedy for spiders mites right now. They have no resistance in the U.S. to this product yet. People have been having success with this shit all over.

Spider mites destroy plant cells by sucking out their contents, and Mite-Rid works by providing a barrier which is harmless to the plant, but fatal to the mites. Some of the components of Mite-Rid are also absorbed by the plant and then suppress the life cycle of the mites. Mite-Rid uses a unique formula of botanical oils, including neem, garlic, eucalyptus plus surfactants to provide a protective barrier against many leaf eating pests, and most effectively, the Spider Mite.

The main active ingredient, neem oil, contains a limonoid called azadirachtin which has steroids (campesterol, beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol) which interrupt the normal hormonal balance of mites, suppressing its reproductive cycle. The neem oil used in Mite-Rid is cold pressed, as only oil of this quality will contain these steroids.

Mite-Rid is fully bio-degradable and is not toxic to animals and under normal use will not affect the plant's metabolism. Highly effective against two-spotted and red mites, Mite-Rid is also reporting success with Eriophyid mites such as the "Fuschia Gall Mite" which is endemic to parts of California and also known as the "Mendo" or "Mendocino mini". Mite-Rid comes in a concentrate form, and the 45ml bottle mixes with water to make 18 litres ( 32.7 pints) of mite killing spray.

One thorough application is usually enough, but heavy infestations may require two, as the tiny eggs can be a bit more resilient; so we recommend a second application in these cases.
Get them before they get your plants!

They say prevention is better than cure, and just a little Mite-Rid goes a long way to preventing mite infestation. A periodic spray with Mite-Rid is the best way to never see your plants suffering an attack of spider mites.
Remember, when it's hot, and dry, mites are just a gentle breeze away from your plants, and they usually go undetected until they've multiplied to plague proportions. Just one spray every few weeks in the hottest season will protect your crop from this near invisible pest.

Whether you're an indoor grower, greenhouse grower, hydroponic grower, or outdoor grower, sooner or later the mites will find you!

Don't wait to see the damage,
get them BEFORE they get your plants!

I've not battled with mites yet... (knock on wood) but the predator mites worked very well for controlling fungus gnats. I think nematodes will work also, and may be a few $$$ cheaper than predator mites.

Either way.. get some sort of preventative into your flowering chamber ASAP.. just handling the mite infested plant can brush the eggs off onto your clothes or shoes, and then you'll carry them into the flowering chamber inadvertently...

Peace
MC

arent nematodes bad too? i remember planting marigolds in my dads tomato garden to rid them

i wonder is marigolds would be a nice thing to help out in the grow room...?
anyone know? :roorrip:

Have you tried hot-shot no pest strips? i got a really bad case or spider mites a few years ago and these slaughtered them in a few days! you do need to turn your carbon filter off for a few hours each day though and let the poison build up.

Have you tried hot-shot no pest strips? i got a really bad case or spider mites a few years ago and these slaughtered them in a few days! you do need to turn your carbon filter off for a few hours each day though and let the poison build up.

how dose the pest strip work do the mites crawl up to where you hang the strips or is it the chemical that the pest strip throws off?
rnwy

ok i got one home depot like $7.00 w/tax i guess this product is a sloww release deal i think i will leave up for a week or two check and see what results i get if good i think i will remove from my grow room, it dose say this product is poison.
rnwy

mites like dry conditions. Raise your humidity to about 70% to 75%. It will make other areas more inviting than what your grow room is. I use a product called mite rid. It's made in Australia. One application and a good room sanitising is all that's required. The 3 times I've had mites I was able to knock them out ASAP. And my first infestation was huge too. No prob for mite rid though. lol

Absolutely get mite rid
If you are going to use preditory mites than you have to purchase enough of them to win this battle which could take ages and you cannot use anything on them as it will destroy both critters.
If you don't use these predatory mites then you can use neem oil but the mite rid is the best.
Its systematic and gentle on the plants

Once you get rid of them then use ladybugs or some other insect as a general natural predator and you shouldn't have any more problems

Back
Top Bottom