BC Northern Lights Bloombox First Hydro!

I also had 2 quick questions...Could I build a super small aerocloner and place it on the shelf? I don't see why not, maybe just the support could be an issue. I would only use a small 1 gal tub for like 10 sites...My other question is what should the humidity be when your flower side is full, and your veg?

Hi MS -

I don't know why not. If you are worried about the shelf holding it up, don't use the shelf. Stack up some stuff from the bottom and stack it on top. Like a few other plastic tubs/containers. Or anything to elevate it. Does that make sense?

Well, I prefer humidity to be between 40-50% in flower. You don't want it to ever stay above 60%. SO, below 60% - but 40-50% is ideal (flowering)

Vegging - humidity is fine. I like 50-60% for vegging personally. There are some neat little dehumidifiers that you can fit inside the box, for example, as well as humidifiers. Let me know if you'd like any recommendations or want to go that way sometime...

I'm using sensi Grow and Bloom(A/B), big bud, b 52, voodoo juice, overdriver and final phase... but right now I've just reached week 3 and using 10ml AB per gal and 20 ml of voodoo...but voodoo will be done as of thursday...and I started with a 1/4 strength solution, then to 1/2 and now at full...my feeding chart is provided by bcnl

Are you using sensi grow ab ph perfect or normal because according to my bottle of ph perfect you should be feeding 8ml/gal of a and b untill your plants have 4 fully formed internodes after that I jumped to 16ml per gal with absolutely no sign of nute burn but this could be the ph perfect ppm perfect nutes which is why I am wondering if BCNL is handing out the ph perfect nutes yet with there cabs

Are you using sensi grow ab ph perfect or normal because according to my bottle of ph perfect you should be feeding 8ml/gal of a and b untill your plants have 4 fully formed internodes after that I jumped to 16ml per gal with absolutely no sign of nute burn but this could be the ph perfect ppm perfect nutes which is why I am wondering if BCNL is handing out the ph perfect nutes yet with there cabs

I'm not using the ph perfect but after all my nutes and r.o water it reads 5.7 so I don't even think I'll switch. But I don't think they have the ph perfect yet anyways

It's probably okay to leave a little in there, I usually did when the roots would get massive (makes it hard to get it all out anyway). I don't think it's probably good for the pump to let it run dry, but I'm not an expert on that. The pump does seem pretty durable that way (but be careful removing fittings to clean it, they are a bit fragile, and i've broken one).

Here's what I do/did: I would run the pump and drain the res into the mixing tub until it got low. I'd usually tip it a little toward the end to get as much as I can with the pump. I don't think it's good for it to run dry, personally.

The last little bit I would just suck out carefully with the shop-vac as good as I could. I basically stored a small shop-vac next to my grow box, that I'd run just to get that last little bit. I didn't use the little shop vac for really anything else, as I was always nervous about getting germs/microbes/etc. on the vac hose, and introducing it to my reservoir/roots. I kept the little shop-vac clean and dedicated to that purpose, but that's just me. ;)

Otherwise, I liked how the pumped sucked out the vast majority of the tub without me having to do much, and didn't suck up or wreck my roots.

I have drained the whole thing with a shop-vac, but then I spend all that time on my hands and knees being careful not to suck up roots, etc. At the beginning it's easier (and shop vac works well enough on its own) but when the roots get massive, and they will, it's nice to let the pump do the heavy lifting so to speak as it won't suck up or damage the roots. Then, carefully suck up as much as you can with the shop vac. If you need to leave a small amount in there so as to not suck up roots with shop vac, so be it. Should be okay - never did anything negative for me.

I'd recommend considering Dutch Master Zone as an additive for your reservoir, especially if the temps get too high in your box. It basically keeps the nutrient solution/water clean and helps keep your reservoir healthy. You can use it in addition to other nutrients - it's great at keeping a clean healthy nutrient solution and keeping nasties at bay. A lot of people who use this product swear by it. I know I do.

Just a few thoughts on how I did things. I haven't been using my box recently, but I did until earlier this year.

As far as their customer service, I imagine things like caulking are difficult for them to rectify from a distance (not to make an excuse for them), but they've been there for me on bigger issues.

For example, I had a ballast go bad (not their fault, it was a good brand ballast, popular model, just a freak thing). They sent me a new one right away, even though I was slightly out of my warranty period (like a few weeks maybe?) and sent instructions and prepaid shipping invoice to send the old one back in the box with the new one.

In other words, they didn't make me wait to send the old one in first, they took my word for it, sent out a new one, and were willing to trust that I'd send the bad one back using their pre-paid shipping label (which I did). They also had it to me within 3-4 days, not bad. (I had to get creative with lighting for a couple of days... but that's another story.) The point is, I can't complain about their service. They also have been patient with me on a number of different issues which had more to do with me being a newbie ignorant person at the beginning. ;) (Which is where we ALL start!)

Sorry for the long post, hopefully some of it's helpful. :)

Don't be sorry for anything X I'm all ears for everything you have to say. I will ask them to send me a new drain hose and will try it out. I was thinking the same thing about when it's flower time and roots are huge at the bottom it would be a bitch to go around everything. And I'm sure I am over reacting about all this and when I do come into a bigger problem (like you said) I'll be thankful for their help

I'm not using the ph perfect but after all my nutes and r.o water it reads 5.7 so I don't even think I'll switch. But I don't think they have the ph perfect yet anyways

They are in BC so they should thats the first place it ever was available in I have been seeing it on every shelf in the Toronto area hydro shops since about June. What I love the most about the stuff is that once its mixed you can top up with just ro water over 7-10 days and ph and ppms will stay rock solid, I hope it is the same with my soil grows .

Hi MS -

I don't know why not. If you are worried about the shelf holding it up, don't use the shelf. Stack up some stuff from the bottom and stack it on top. Like a few other plastic tubs/containers. Or anything to elevate it. Does that make sense?

Well, I prefer humidity to be between 40-50% in flower. You don't want it to ever stay above 60%. SO, below 60% - but 40-50% is ideal (flowering)

Vegging - humidity is fine. I like 50-60% for vegging personally. There are some neat little dehumidifiers that you can fit inside the box, for example, as well as humidifiers. Let me know if you'd like any recommendations or want to go that way sometime...

Yeah it totally makes sense. I will think they support should be fine and if it's not I have the perfect box for stacking it. I totally thought about putting a tiny dehumidifier in there and will go through with it on friday. Would you suggest leaving the dehumidifier outside the box or find one small enough to put inside? I saw someone had a small dehumidifier called like the penguini or something can't remember but it looked like a car air freshner? lol

They are in BC so they should thats the first place it ever was available in I have been seeing it on every shelf in the Toronto area hydro shops since about June. What I love the most about the stuff is that once its mixed you can top up with just ro water over 7-10 days and ph and ppms will stay rock solid, I hope it is the same with my soil grows .

I live in B.C. 45 minutes from there actually lol, and every hydro shop around here has it, but my ph doesn't fluctuate over 5.9 (I check it when I dump it) so for now I don't know if I'll change but if anything starts going weird with my ph then I'll try it out :) thanks for the advice Cateros

Yeah it totally makes sense. I will think they support should be fine and if it's not I have the perfect box for stacking it. I totally thought about putting a tiny dehumidifier in there and will go through with it on friday. Would you suggest leaving the dehumidifier outside the box or find one small enough to put inside? I saw someone had a small dehumidifier called like the penguini or something can't remember but it looked like a car air freshner? lol

Ultimately, I have gotten the biggest benefit from a larger dehumidifier outside the box, basically making the ambient RH right. But, a small dehumidifier inside can help a little. I say this because a decent size dehumidifier for outside of your grow box to dehumidify that ambient air is pretty pricey.

Ultimately, I have gotten the biggest benefit from a larger dehumidifier outside the box, basically making the ambient RH right. But, a small dehumidifier inside can help a little. I say this because a decent size dehumidifier for outside of your grow box to dehumidify that ambient air is pretty pricey.

Yeah that makes sense. It turns out my 12k btu a/c is also a dehumidifier! :thumb: I just have to get some tubing for it. I am also really interested in that dutchmaster zone product you speak of X. I'm assuming they have it at the avg hydro store? your suggestions are awesome X!:popcorn:

Yeah that makes sense. It turns out my 12k btu a/c is also a dehumidifier! :thumb: I just have to get some tubing for it. I am also really interested in that dutchmaster zone product you speak of X. I'm assuming they have it at the avg hydro store? your suggestions are awesome X!:popcorn:

Hi MS -- They should have it at most hydro/grow stores. It really seems to be good stuff. X

So I took your advice X and purchased some Dutchmaster Zone. I also purchased some black silicone, a heating pad and a 60-100x microscope just for later :) ...I took these pics before the res change
IMG_22292.JPG

IMG_21686.JPG

so if you look up close at the mutant, you can start to see some spots turning a brighter green. I checked this morning and it's now starting to happen to the strongest one. The tips of the leaves are starting to feel very weak, some even look like they have dark green tips. I'll post another pic in about 2-3 days and we'll see then. I also think it's flower time for these puppies in about a week as they're reaching 7 inches today

So after about 50 shots this is the best I could do lol. I also took out the other 2 plants and have them under a mh at the moment. It's also hard to see the dark green at the tip, if it keeps gets worse I'll take a good pic.

IMG_22403.JPG

IMG_22413.JPG

IMG_22424.JPG

they look fine, :welldone:

So after about 50 shots this is the best I could do lol. I also took out the other 2 plants and have them under a mh at the moment. It's also hard to see the dark green at the tip, if it keeps gets worse I'll take a good pic.

IMG_22403.JPG

IMG_22413.JPG

IMG_22424.JPG

I picked up 2 feet of 1/2" clear vinyl tubing, shaved the outside a tad and placed it over the drain valve of the a/c. my biggest fear came true...about three hours later I went into the room and the rh was about 6% lower (75!) So I think I'm going to just go pick one up, do you think like a 40pint would do? it's a tiny room

I picked up 2 feet of 1/2" clear vinyl tubing, shaved the outside a tad and placed it over the drain valve of the a/c. my biggest fear came true...about three hours later I went into the room and the rh was about 6% lower (75!) So I think I'm going to just go pick one up, do you think like a 40pint would do? it's a tiny room

Yes, I think a 40 pint would probably help quite a bit. Consider this advice seriously: There are some pretty poor reviews on some of the various models out there. Mine gets horrible reviews, but it's worked great for me. Just do some research before you commit as you're probably looking at about $200 for a decent 40 pint model. At least make sure there is a good warranty/reputable dealer involved.

After reading the reviews on mine (made by LG) I feel really fortunate I haven't had problems. For that same reason I'm hesitant to make a recommendation because I feel like I'm the only one with my model who HASN'T had problems, lol.

I do think for a small room 40 pint would work well, but I'm not sure what you're typical humidity situation is either - just that size works pretty well for me in a med/small room in an area that's pretty humid in summer and I had no issues keeping it under control over the summer. :goodluck: X

Yes, I think a 40 pint would probably help quite a bit. Consider this advice seriously: There are some pretty poor reviews on some of the various models out there. Mine gets horrible reviews, but it's worked great for me. Just do some research before you commit as you're probably looking at about $200 for a decent 40 pint model. At least make sure there is a good warranty/reputable dealer involved.

After reading the reviews on mine (made by LG) I feel really fortunate I haven't had problems. For that same reason I'm hesitant to make a recommendation because I feel like I'm the only one with my model who HASN'T had problems, lol.

I do think for a small room 40 pint would work well, but I'm not sure what you're typical humidity situation is either - just that size works pretty well for me in a med/small room in an area that's pretty humid in summer and I had no issues keeping it under control over the summer. :goodluck: X

haha you weren't kidding about the reviews hey? it doesn't seem like any brand has good feedback lol. I'm leaning towards a kenmore from sears, I saw a 50 pint for 200 and the reviews are pretty good from what I've seen. Humidity here in summer can reach 85 so it's pretty necessary.:rip:

So I ordered a 50 pint kenmore dehumidifier. the reviews are solid and the price wasn't too bad, 275 normally 350. I also picked up a tri-meter from the hydro store today and I hear there pretty awesome :)...I checked like 5 mins ago and it's 72F and 50% rh(can be set to whatever)
IMG_22457.JPG

IMG_22433.jpg

Hi Mastershuffle -

Nice purchases - you'll really appreciate the dehumidifier late in the flowering stage, and I've always liked those tri-meters. i'm a little jealous, frankly! ;)

Back
Top Bottom