Bchris22's Trails of A Newbie Grow - HighBrix - Mixed Strains

Bchris22

My time has finally come and its been a long time coming. My journey to grow the herb began about two years ago. Much like a lot of TubeofYou era growers my first bit of knowledge about cultivating Ms Mary came from the green man. Instantly I was hooked. A quick search on how to grow cannabis led me here to 420. I started reading like a mad man. I was hooked. Once before I read, and I believe it was in one of XLR8's journals that smoking Marijuana isnt addictive, but growing it is and boy oh boy did they nail that on the head. At first nothing made sense. I was trying to learn how to grow hydroponically and thanks to my determination and the great knowledge provided here I began to understand.
One day while reading one of XLR8's Journals(a great source of knowledge BTW) he mentioned Super Soil and the fact that I would only have to feed water throughout the grow. This sounded amazing, so I began to research it... Then I found Sub, and the weed nerd nation and my viewpoints on how to grow changed. At the time DocBud was just getting into organics, so I began reading his journals and have followed along ever since. Now I consider myself to be a DocBud Disciple and a believer in HighBrix.

Now to the details.

The good:
I have everything I need to grow plants. 4.5x9 Grow tent, 2000 watts of light and enough fans for adequate air flow.

The Bad
I am missing some valuable pieces.. For instance, I do not have a veg room at the current moment. Hell, I dont even have a MH bulb to veg with right now. My tent cannot handle 2000 watts of light and have optimal temps without an AC unit, but at 600 watts the temps stay between 79-81 degrees. My biggest concern at the moment is humidity. Currently I am experiencing fluctuations between 37%-55%. I do not have a dehumidifier or a device to manage it, but I have been tampering with my humidistat in my home and its not perfect but it is getting better(generally between 45-50)

So if you havent figured it out yet I am growing in Soil
Sunshine #4 20lbs worm castings and HighBrix Ammendment
I am currently running 6 different strains of free feminized seeds. This is not how I intend to do things in the future but without having kept a plant alive I figured I would beta test on the freebies first.
The strains are Cheese, Purple trainwreck, Blue OG, Silver Kush, SageNsour and Kosher Tangie

Currently I am running only one of my lights at 400 watts 3 feet above my canopy. I planted the seeds a week ago today. I followed the directions for DocBuds Kit and planted the seeds in moist soil. On friday I didnt see any signs of life and gave them all a 1/4 cup of water and went out of town for the weekend. Sunday night when I returned 5 out of 6 germinated. Today the soil was bone dry, so I mixed up 6qts of water, mixed in 2.5mils (1/2 Teaspoon) and an ounce of Transplant, and fed all plants a qt each. I also noticed 3 of the plants were stretching a bit more than I liked. After some time spent sitting in the garden I noticed I wasnt getting the best use of the light footprint so I readjusted the alignment of my plants and I think they love it.

Pics:
The Tent
20140609_224814.jpg

The plants.. As you can see they are stretchy
20140609_224503.jpg

Notice the low Humidity
20140609_224640.jpg

Im not exactly sure how to get the photos to load correctly.. Maybe someone can chime in and let me know what I am not doing. I just wanted to say thank you to all those who will help. If it wasnt for the this site and the dedicated growers on here I dont know if I would be doing this

Lookin' good! Steady as she goes, don't over water or over feed! They should be able to go about a week without water unless you're really dry in your room.

Nice work!

Thanks for stopping in Doc. I promise no water from me for at least a week. My wife tells me that I let the weeds in our lawn grow just fine by ignoring them, so do the same with these..:laughtwo: Damn I hate when she is right.

Checked in on the ladies today and everything is looking good. Couple of changes though. First the girls streched even more, so I brought out the measuring tape and found that while I was thinking my lights were 3ft above the canopy they were actually closer to 3 1/2 ft so I lowered them down just below 3ft.

2nd change was an interesting one. First let me say patience is a weakness of mine. The purple trainwreck still hasnt popped and its been 8 days. I know it could have still popped, but I dug it up anyways... No development at all.. Not a tap root in sight.. Its funny the one seed that didnt pop sunk instantly to the bottom of the cup. I was anticipating this change, so I began to soak a Purple Haze Fem Freebie in water last night... After a good 12 hr soak I planted her in a 1 gal pot, sprinkled 1 teaspoon of roots in and around the hole and planted that baby 1/4 in deep. Now Im just gonna let nature do its thing. No intervention from me for a week.. Scouts honor

OAN I was a bit concerned about the sage n sour. She was the runt and far behind the others that sprouted. She was barely above the surface of the soil, had very tiny leaves and a dark purple stem. She is kinda what prompted me to check the moisture of the soil (Stuck my finger a couple of inches in and it was bone dry). After the watering she is looking good.. She got taller over the night and her tiny leaves grew a bit. The bottom of her stem is still purple but about half of it is green, so at the current moment I feel like my decision to water was a good one, but time will tell

Trying hard to get my Journal to show in my signature.. So far I got the link to display but I am having trouble trying to get a custom link to show.. I guess I am not only a newbie to growing but also a newbie to the forums.. SMH

I peeked in on the ladies to check how things are going and I am pleased. The temps in the room are peeking at 75 during the day and are getting no colder than 68 at night. The humidity in the room is staying more consistent over the last few days. I usually peek my head in to check the the temps/humidity 3 or 4 times a day and so far I have am seeing percentages in the higher 40's to lower 50's. :thumb:

I know I said I wouldn't interfere with my ladies growth for a while but I had to address the stretch issues I was having. Between the tops of my plants and the soil line was over 4in of stem. I was worried that this may cause some issues and I had plenty of room left in the pot for soil, so I filled the pots on up and now only about two in are between the soil line and the tops of my gorgeous ladies.

Other than that everything is looking really healthy. The new growth I am seeing is a bright green while the outer edges of my leaves are a dark green. I am very happy and optimistic about how things are turning out. I will post some pics later tonight and hopefully I will be able to figure out how to get them to post correctly.

A few days has gone by since I last posted and I have a few minor problems developing in my garden. The first one and most concerning is a leaf deformity. It started 4 days ago on the plant closest to my oscillating fan(which is in the opposite corner of the plants). The strain it started on was the Blue OG. At first I thought maybe its genetics, but I was leaning towards some form of stress. Since it was the closest plant to the fan I figured it was wind stress related, so I rotated the plant(I know this wasnt the smartest thing I could have done, but this journal is called trails of a newbie). The next day I came down to check on my babies and the deformity was on both sides of the plant. Trying to describe the deformity is kinda tough for me, but it has a crinkle in the leaf which looks like someone balled it up like a piece of paper and and then flattened it back out. I sat in my garden for 20 mins or so trying to figure out what was going on. The only thing I could come up with was the wind from the fan, So I raised the fan rather high and put my tallest plants in the back farthest away from the oscillating fan(which is on the slowest speed). Today when I checked in on the ladies the deformity looks like it is effecting two other ladies just not as bad as it is the BlueOG. My gut still tells me the problem still stems from the fan which I am going to raise even more, but I did give that watering(w/ 1oz of transplant and 1tsp of Tea) on tuesday. Could that be the problem?? The reason I dont think it is is because the leaves dont look like they have been over fed.. I mean they arent burnt or anything like that..

Well, that kinda leads me into my next problem. My two tallest plants are a light green. At first the only place my plants were a bright green was in the new growth, which I took as completely normal, however, now the bright green has spread throughout the leaves. I pulled out the handy dandy measuring stick and after the plants recent growth the two tallest were roughly only 2 feet away from my 400 watt light, so I raised the light, which I think will solve the problem.

OAN the Purple Haze seed I cracked a week late has sprouted and is reaching for the light. To avoid the stretch that incurred with the first set of beans I cracked, I propped her up on a rather thick book to make her even with the rest of the crew.. She now sits 32in away from the lights..

I know I promised pictures the other night and I didnt deliver but tonight I will get some up.

A few days has gone by since I last posted and I have a few minor problems developing in my garden. The first one and most concerning is a leaf deformity. It started 4 days ago on the plant closest to my oscillating fan(which is in the opposite corner of the plants). The strain it started on was the Blue OG. At first I thought maybe its genetics, but I was leaning towards some form of stress. Since it was the closest plant to the fan I figured it was wind stress related, so I rotated the plant(I know this wasnt the smartest thing I could have done, but this journal is called trails of a newbie). The next day I came down to check on my babies and the deformity was on both sides of the plant. Trying to describe the deformity is kinda tough for me, but it has a crinkle in the leaf which looks like someone balled it up like a piece of paper and and then flattened it back out. I sat in my garden for 20 mins or so trying to figure out what was going on. The only thing I could come up with was the wind from the fan, So I raised the fan rather high and put my tallest plants in the back farthest away from the oscillating fan(which is on the slowest speed). Today when I checked in on the ladies the deformity looks like it is effecting two other ladies just not as bad as it is the BlueOG. My gut still tells me the problem still stems from the fan which I am going to raise even more, but I did give that watering(w/ 1oz of transplant and 1tsp of Tea) on tuesday. Could that be the problem?? The reason I dont think it is is because the leaves dont look like they have been over fed.. I mean they arent burnt or anything like that..

Well, that kinda leads me into my next problem. My two tallest plants are a light green. At first the only place my plants were a bright green was in the new growth, which I took as completely normal, however, now the bright green has spread throughout the leaves. I pulled out the handy dandy measuring stick and after the plants recent growth the two tallest were roughly only 2 feet away from my 400 watt light, so I raised the light, which I think will solve the problem.

OAN the Purple Haze seed I cracked a week late has sprouted and is reaching for the light. To avoid the stretch that incurred with the first set of beans I cracked, I propped her up on a rather thick book to make her even with the rest of the crew.. She now sits 32in away from the lights..

I know I promised pictures the other night and I didnt deliver but tonight I will get some up.

Don't worry!

If you followed directions just be patient. Everything will work well.

Don't worry!

If you followed directions just be patient. Everything will work well.

I believe I did follow directions correctly and I am not too concerned... I have high hopes and high standards, so naturally I would like things to be perfect, but the ladies are alive and for the most part healthy... Patience is the hardest part.. I have waited for this time to come for sooo long and now that I am doing it I just want it all so quick, however, I havent much of a choice but to wait.. Im still stoked though :ganjamon:

Aloha brother! You look like you're off to a nice start! Don't stress and over worry about your plants, seems like everything is more or less in order. Most of the dumb shit at has happened in my garden is because of the dumb shit (me) behind the wheel LOL. Keep it green bro. And don't forget, less is more!

U know I had a feeling that was you.. You and Doc make Hawaii sound amazing.. Thanks for following along

Well I hate to sound like the worry bee but f-ck I think I have a real problem on my hands.. I found a f-cking web linked from the pot to the plant and another web linking plants together. F-ck F-ck F-ck.. I was really hoping to avoid these f-ckers. The worst part of it all is I have nothing to fight em and I am low on money till payday.. I feel doomed.. What to do?? I know high brix plants fight mites really well but my plants are in the very early stages of life.. I think I seen some early leaf damage, but I will let you guys be the judge.. Its really small but I have a few white dots on this plant and so far only on this plant..
20140617_211003.jpg

The second thing is this leaf deformation.. This is the second plant that has it but there is three in all.. This is the most serious case thats in the garden.. Is this something I shouldnt worry about??
20140617_210948.jpg

Well I hate to sound like the worry bee but f-ck I think I have a real problem on my hands.. I found a f-cking web linked from the pot to the plant and another web linking plants together. F-ck F-ck F-ck.. I was really hoping to avoid these f-ckers. The worst part of it all is I have nothing to fight em and I am low on money till payday.. I feel doomed.. What to do?? I know high brix plants fight mites really well but my plants are in the very early stages of life.. I think I seen some early leaf damage, but I will let you guys be the judge.. Its really small but I have a few white dots on this plant and so far only on this plant..
20140617_211003.jpg

The second thing is this leaf deformation.. This is the second plant that has it but there is three in all.. This is the most serious case thats in the garden.. Is this something I shouldnt worry about??
20140617_210948.jpg

You're gonna be fine! At this stage of growth you can kill each of those fuckers by hand if you want.

First, blast the hell out of them with 1/2 strength DeStress. SOAK the bottoms of the leaves with a spraying, not a misting. Concentrate on each leaf, get them soaked as can be and then gently us a qtip and scrape those bastards off the leaf.

Next, go down to the hydro shop and get something like Azatrol/Azamax/Take Down. At that stage, I'd even use a powerful miticide like Shuttle, Floramite, Forbid or Kontos. They might have those behind the counter. If so, make a dip out of them. Hold all the soil in with some plastic and dip the plants in the miticide.

If using one of the non-toxic ones I mentioned first, repeat the process every 3 days, 3 times, and then spray them a week later.

If using one of the highly toxic ones, a single use will do the trick. If you can bomb your grow space, that should keep them from coming back. Once the plants are larger the mites won't be much of a problem, provided everything is done by the instructions. I've got mites on my plants. I've even seen web tent every once in a while, but they don't do any damage.

Back
Top Bottom