Be truthful, time change did you?

goofyfoot

Howdy All and this is just me throwing one out there ...........

How many newbie`s or guru`s feel the urge to re-set your timer to match the spring forward switch`er rue. I did, because I am so OCD I kept seeing it after 7:00 lights off. But not hearing the timers click off I had to get up. Like a mom doing dishes and has radar on the kids in the next room.

When I first started growing I heard about hermies and "how strict you had to have your lights" . This was 2004 and was my first indoor anything grow. Info was still a little scarcer on growing compared to now. LED`s where still being criticized as weak an inefficient wastes or time. There working fine by me now a days!!

Just wondering if it crossed anyone else`s mind during one of those ...hum-humm-humm moments as you exhale out!!

You know any good growing fables or old wives tale to add .....??

Jump on in .... kinda make it a pot fishing story thread ....

Peace ......

I didn’t change my timers, plants can’t read a clock lol

@goofyfoot, much of what we were told years ago about our favourite plant has been “wive‘s tells”.

The one that I always found suspect was “light leaks”, there was a grower on here a few years back that claimed the red LED on his dehumidifier caused his plant to hermie. I mean really, we grow outside where the girls are subject to street lights, house lights and full moons, and I’ve never had a plant outside hermie.

Because I always felt light leaks causing hermies was BS, I ran a grow last year inside where I did everything “wrong “ on purpose trying to stress the plants into hermies.

The tent is in the basement in a room with one window so there is always ambient light in that room during the day when my lights would be off. I messed with light schedules, 12/12 for 2 weeks, 15/9 for a week (accidental) and then 14/10 for the remainder of flowering. I also left the tent door open the entire grow. Of the 5 plants in the grow, one hermied late in flower.

What I concluded was that if you have good genetics, and your plant isn’t predisposed to being hermaphoditic, minor light leaks are not a concern.

I started growing outdoors early and could never figure out what the strictness they had for advice. When it cam to indoors. Cloudy days, to Full Sun and Moon Phases had no effect on plants but maybe the cross- breeding. At that time had something to do with it. That the years of building and matching strains better. Has produced a stabler plant these days. A hell of a lot stronger and I love being able to get female seeds of almost any strain now.

The first indoor light set-up was from 2 brothers that stole a metal street light that would have mounted to the pole. They grabbed it from the city works work area. It had this giant sodium bulb but their grow was in am old tool shed. That would glow at night!!

They brought it back because it looked like the shed was on fire it was so bright!! This was back in 1979 ....crazy how the times have changed!

I adjust the flower tents as noted above because it fits my schedule better. I also use the time change as a reminder to double check all the functionalities of my timers and power connections. I visually inspect them for any evidence of arcing and also do a touch test to see if any of them are getting hot from any sort of a short/ground out condition.

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on that kind of stuff, if anything's going to fail and burn down your grow it's a stupid timer. I use commerical grade stuff to try and mitigate any potential issues.

I adjust the flower tents as noted above because it fits my schedule better. I also use the time change as a reminder to double check all the functionalities of my timers and power connections. I visually inspect them for any evidence of arcing and also do a touch test to see if any of them are getting hot from any sort of a short/ground out condition.

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on that kind of stuff, if anything's going to fail and burn down your grow it's a stupid timer. I use commerical grade stuff to try and mitigate any potential issues.
Excellent advice Turbo

I found these early on in my grow and very happy with it for LED`s as they pull less actual watts then ANY bulb source.
Also so it is one inclusive unit, I had 3 separate timers at one point with my last 2 grows. And always one fails / stays on, or gets an hour off eventually. Less cords / clutter in you grow also. This did the trick for me....... it has 4 outlets on timer and 4 that stay on.

SPECS:
  • ✓ WITH UPDATED BLACK PINS: We've made the pin dial easier on the eyes! The power cord measures 3 feet.
  • ✓ TIMER FUNCTION: 4 outlets are controlled by the timer, 4 outlets are always on. All 8 outlets are fully protected by the surge protector, with a circuit breaker switch for safety. The timer pin dial can be set in increments as low as 15 min. The programed schedule will repeat every 24 hours.
  • ✓ INDICATOR LIGHTS: Each row is equipped with a colored LED, indicating when the power for that row is on.
  • ✓ OVERRIDE SWITCH: Use the override 'on' switch to manually keep the timer outlet row on
  • ✓ SAFE & RELIABLE: This surge protector is ETL listed, and conforms to UL Std. 1449, 1363, and 917. 3-line surge protection VPR 800V (L-N, L-G, N-G). Rated 125VAC, 15A, 60Hz, 1875W. Indoor Use Only.

009.JPG

Yea I've seen those around before. You can cover up the indicator lights with white out if your so inclined.

This is the little guy I use for the veg closet, it's just outside the door. It's worked flawlessly for three years so far. (Knock on wood :dude-knocking:). It runs a pair of boxes near the ceiling inside.

These are what I use for my flower tents. I've seen these run for over ten years in commercial settings so they should hold up well for me. I always prefer mechanical over digital but there's a huge difference in lifespan from household mechanical lamp timers to these things.

Howdy All and this is just me throwing one out there ...........

How many newbie`s or guru`s feel the urge to re-set your timer to match the spring forward switch`er rue. I did, because I am so OCD I kept seeing it after 7:00 lights off. But not hearing the timers click off I had to get up. Like a mom doing dishes and has radar on the kids in the next room.

When I first started growing I heard about hermies and "how strict you had to have your lights" . This was 2004 and was my first indoor anything grow. Info was still a little scarcer on growing compared to now. LED`s where still being criticized as weak an inefficient wastes or time. There working fine by me now a days!!

Just wondering if it crossed anyone else`s mind during one of those ...hum-humm-humm moments as you exhale out!!

You know any good growing fables or old wives tale to add .....??

Jump on in .... kinda make it a pot fishing story thread ....

Peace ......

Honestly... I was thinking about what I was going to do to adjust, and then life got busy that week running up to the clock change. I totally forgot about it.

My grow lights and all electrical is run by a computer. The computer adjusted itself for daylight savings time, so the timers all did the same in kind. I didn't even realize it until a few days later.

Going forward, that's what I'm going to do. Just let the computer adjust itself and let the timers auto adjust as well.

Back
Top Bottom