Beateo's Winter 2015 Multi-Strain Indoor CFL Grow in Soil

I am not giving them hydro nutes .. this nute line I use is specifically for soil. It also adds enzymes to the soil .. and has no salts in it. I figure it differs with the nute line you use. Then again, I also watered plain tap when I was not giving any nutes and had plain potting plant soil. This comes of Bio Canna's packaging:

Do not adjust the pH of your nutrient solution when growing in soil. There is no need, and by adding
acids to your solution you will in fact harm the beneficial organisms present in your soil.

I heard lots of different stories, and since a decent pH meter was kinda expensive for the budget at the time, I decided to just ignore pH. Works fine by the looks of my plants.

I am by no means an expert .. just sharing my experience on the topic ;) YMMV :)

LOL GD.. I'm using Miracle Gro to veg and Jack's Classic for flower.... I should say I only got the Jack's when I was concerned with continuing with the Miracle Gro.... I'll probably use the Jack's for this grows veg and switch to something different for flowering.... KingJohnC told me the nitrogen in the Jack's is high for flowering. When I ordered that meter, I did it with the intention of using it to test both my soil AND my nute mix.... I just assumed I could shove the probe into the water and get an accurate reading? Maybe not??
:Namaste:

i understand if it is a Ph balanced nute line which i have missed if Beateo is using one of those:)lol.....wont be the first time:)

I understand PlanetJ:)......Beateo.....what soil and nutes are you using?.......cause if you are using totally organic then PlanetJ is definately steering you correctly imo:).......i am a bit confused this morning it appears:)lol.....for some reason i was thinking you were using a non organic mix but dont know if am right or wrong......i went to the beginning of both journals and just see that you are using organic soil:)......so please remind my wary mind:)lol........and PlanetJ......i too am speaking from my own experiences and advice i have been given:)......that is what is great about this forum.....so many people like your self with good info......we cant help but succeed:)

LOL GD.. I'm using Miracle Gro to veg and Jack's Classic for flower.... I should say I only got the Jack's when I was concerned with continuing with the Miracle Gro.... I'll probably use the Jack's for this grows veg and switch to something different for flowering.... KingJohnC told me the nitrogen in the Jack's is high for flowering. When I ordered that meter, I did it with the intention of using it to test both my soil AND my nute mix.... I just assumed I could shove the probe into the water and get an accurate reading? Maybe not??

I will have to look it up but if it is intended for soil i do not believe it will work in you water:)lol.....at least mine doesnt as i tried it and nope......:)lol........Miracle grow is not organic is it?......what about the Jack's?.....i havent heard of it.......oh and i remeber the Miracle grow when you said it:)lol

Soil pH meter will not accurately measure a liquids pH.

To illustrate that .. water company says pH of my water is 7,8 .. pH soil probe reads it as 7.0 that is off enough to not be useful.

The only use I found for this pH meter is translating the reading to it's possible max and min value, where 7 would be anything from 6.8 to 7.2. Sometimes it alternates between two values while measuring, like 6.5 - 7 - 6.5 - 7 and keeps doing that .. this should be 6.7 / 6.8 actual pH.

I only measure soil pH when I see deficiencies, to see where I'm at roughly with pH. I have been trying to get my hand on test-strips .. they are also sold in specific ranges of smaller pH bands and with a dual colour band .. where you have to match up 2 colours and thus are more accurate in the final reading.

Either that, or upgrade my pH meter to one with both a soil and a water probe.

PlanetJ, I don't have a water company....I pump from a well. So basically you're telling me I just pissed away my money on a meter that has no use? That sucks. :) Literally tens of thousands of these things have been sold by hundreds of sellers on eBay.... people must be using the things for SOMETHING?? It isn't the first bad investment I've made though!
I measured every drop of water I used. I have a rough idea that if I add just about 3/4 tsp vinegar per gallon of water that puts me right about 6.5. If I'm adding my nutes I have to go totally the other way and raise the ph! If things are as you say I wouldn't use it to find possible min & max values either... if you can't trust the number you start with everything following is suspect as well.
This whole topic is burnin' me out man! lol

To illustrate that .. water company says pH of my water is 7,8 .. pH soil probe reads it as 7.0 that is off enough to not be useful.

The only use I found for this pH meter is translating the reading to it's possible max and min value, where 7 would be anything from 6.8 to 7.2. Sometimes it alternates between two values while measuring, like 6.5 - 7 - 6.5 - 7 and keeps doing that .. this should be 6.7 / 6.8 actual pH.

I only measure soil pH when I see deficiencies, to see where I'm at roughly with pH. I have been trying to get my hand on test-strips .. they are also sold in specific ranges of smaller pH bands and with a dual colour band .. where you have to match up 2 colours and thus are more accurate in the final reading.

Either that, or upgrade my pH meter to one with both a soil and a water probe.

They are useful for soil pH ... but if you correct your water going in, hardly anything can go wrong, unless you are fucking around with strange additives that cause salt buildup or something like that.

If you stick to proven nutrient schemes and correct your water going in, I see no reason to watch soil pH.

These things are useful when determining if your outside plants are doing okay .. where you do not correct the rainwater falling down :p

Hey! Subbed for your new grow. My biggest problems as a new grower of cannabis have all been due to ph. Even though I basically fixed my situation using the test strips that only read in whole increments, I bought an electronic tester, and love it. It is a Bluelab soil pen, which also does solutions! I have a much bigger piece of information at my hands, and can test everything with it. I have been keeping detailed notes on what ph solutions I feed or water with, and run off ph numbers and soil ph after watering. I feel like I have a much better understanding of what is going on in my plants world, and the plants are showing their pleasure! Even though the tester you bought is not super precise, it should be accurate enough (and easy enough to use!) that you will have good results. Looking forward to see how this grow turns out!

WV Whitewater... Thank you and welcome aboard..... I hope we can be of help to each other!!

Hey! Subbed for your new grow. My biggest problems as a new grower of cannabis have all been due to ph. Even though I basically fixed my situation using the test strips that only read in whole increments, I bought an electronic tester, and love it. It is a Bluelab soil pen, which also does solutions! I have a much bigger piece of information at my hands, and can test everything with it. I have been keeping detailed notes on what ph solutions I feed or water with, and run off ph numbers and soil ph after watering. I feel like I have a much better understanding of what is going on in my plants world, and the plants are showing their pleasure! Even though the tester you bought is not super precise, it should be accurate enough (and easy enough to use!) that you will have good results. Looking forward to see how this grow turns out!

No pictures yet but I'm seeing just a touch of green in those starter pots!! All except for 1 Haze that grew to 2 inches since I sprayed this morning! Incredible that she could sprout up that much in so short of a time. :)

Quick little photo update... These pictures show one of the most beautiful things in this world to me.... a newly started and wonderfully miraculous plant! :love:
I think I'm lucky this time... After 2 days in the soil, 7 of my 9 seeds are sprouting. :)
The first picture is of one of the Haze seeds and she grew this tall in a day.

DSCN21226.JPG

The next few are an overall view of all 9 starter pots. It's not really easy to see much but here they are. The 3rd one shows the temp and humidity levels inside that plastic dome..... by the way the dome is from my wife's birthday cake and fit perfectly on top of a 5 gallon bucket! lol

DSCN21236.JPG

DSCN21246.JPG

DSCN21256.JPG

This last one shows the "dome" that's off the cake. :) Whatever works... right!

DSCN21266.JPG

Thanks for looking, comments, suggestions, constructive criticism... all welcome..... :Namaste:

KJC... :thanks: I have the lights just above the plastic humidity dome. That puts the light at least 8 inches from the sprouts. Would you recommend losing the dome and putting the light an inch or two from the tips of the sprouts? I didn't use a dome last time but it was summer when I started that one and the difference now is that I'm burning wood for heat.... my grow room has humidity in the low 20's!
I can go buy a humidifier later today if I need to.... a Wallyworld "economy" humidifier... (I think they call them cool mist vaporizers) is within my budget? :)

How far above your germinating pots are your light sources? Your seedling appears to be stretching and reaching for the light, I would move your light source closer to your seedling.

Dusty,
Thanks, I like the dome too... It cost nothing, fits perfectly on the buckets and holds a ton of humidity in an otherwise really dry room. The drawback, as KingJohnC noticed, is that I can't get the light very close at all to my plants. IF the roads are passable today, (plow trucks can't keep up with the snow & ice), I'm going to drive to town and buy a humidifier. :)

Alright, alright , congratulations on the babes.
I like your dome, I'm a diy kinda guy.:thumb:

You could help humidity around your plants by putting a thin layer of water below them. Just make sure that the plants can not get to that water. Place tile of water, put a brick in or something like that, and place the pot on the brick. Evaporating water will rise past your plant, increasing local humidity for the plant.

I agree with KJC .. place those CFL's max 10cm above those seedlings to prevent stretch.

Back
Top Bottom