Beateo's Winter 2015 Multi-Strain Indoor CFL Grow in Soil

Last years grow started at the end of summer and ended in December. Environmentally, this was perfect timing for an indoor grow here where I live. It was hot and humid for my seedlings but by the time they gained some size the temperatures had moderated and humidity had lessened a bit. When it was time to flip the lighting to 12/12 for flowering, we were burning our wood furnace and temperature regulation was hardly a problem and humidity was VERY low from the dry heat of burning wood. So, for that grow I had to use an oil filled electric heater a little bit and humidity was not really much of an issue through the entire grow.
This current grow presents a different set of problems. I'm going to need to cool instead of heat and too high humidity is becoming a problem. I can't just slap an air conditioner into the window... I'm thinking of putting a small one I have on a table and putting a drip pan under it? Also, buying a cheap humidifier was no problem.. less than $20... but I don't think I'll find a de-humidifier for that price!
The humidity is something I'm concerned with more than the temperature.. humidity can easily cause mold issues and even ruin my entire grow.
The reason I felt I needed to post this was for new members to see how important their local conditions could be and also to get any tips yinz might have about the A/C and humidity? :)
:Namaste:

Haze & Amnesia Moms:
DSCN23846.JPG

My Next Grow:
DSCN23856.JPG

Random pix of the girls:
DSCN23874.JPG

DSCN23885.JPG

DSCN23866.JPG

DSCN23894.JPG

DSCN23905.JPG

Grow room was 88F yesterday. It was really tough cooling the room down. I think this is a preview of what I'll be dealing with soon.

*Ranger.... any idea where you saw that video?

Girls are looking great!

Are you able to vent from/to the outside?
Good air circulation will help with humidity/rot. My bloom room gets up into the upper 60% RH briefly, but with a fan on the girls, no rot so far. The venting pulls RH down into the mid 20% and cools things down for me. But I may have to skip a summer grow (might try a quick 11/13 grow). I think I'll have the same problem as you even with outside air. I'll be pulling in 90-110 degree air during the day. :(

A small window AC is the only reasonable $$$ solution, but you said you can't do that. On a table, I don't think it will work. One side puts out cool air, but the other side puts out hot air. W/o the hot side hanging out a window, there will be a small heat increase - no cooling.

Dusty, Thanks bro. I'm also having humidity problems but I'm working on it. lol
High brother B. Damn summer temps. Just remember they can get hot as long as the r.h. is low you should be fine.
they look lovely brother. :Namaste:

Major,
I have several A/C units available. I would have light issues if I put one in the grow room. I think my wife came up with a solution... since starting this grow I've installed a locking door in the room next to my grow room because of the smell..... I have 2 windows in that room and can get cross ventilation. My wife's idea was to put an A/C unit in one of those windows and just keep the grow room door open during the heat of day to cool the grow room. At night, when light leaks would be an issue, my HPS isn't on so no heat is being generated and I shouldn't need to have that door open or the A/C on. I think it will work for the heat...controlling it by opening or closing the door... but I'm not sure about the humidity? I have 4 air conditioners and ZERO de-humidifiers! lol... maybe eBay?
Girls are looking great!

Are you able to vent from/to the outside?
Good air circulation will help with humidity/rot. My bloom room gets up into the upper 60% RH briefly, but with a fan on the girls, no rot so far. The venting pulls RH down into the mid 20% and cools things down for me. But I may have to skip a summer grow (might try a quick 11/13 grow). I think I'll have the same problem as you even with outside air. I'll be pulling in 90-110 degree air during the day. :(

A small window AC is the only reasonable $$$ solution, but you said you can't do that. On a table, I don't think it will work. One side puts out cool air, but the other side puts out hot air. W/o the hot side hanging out a window, there will be a small heat increase - no cooling.

Ranger,
Thanks bro... I never heard of that but I will google it and check it out. :)
It was on HowCast, Brother. How to build a dorm room ac.

The cure for my humidity problems: :)
DSCN23918.JPG

DSCN23926.JPG

I HATE spending my $$ but.... I think I'd hate losing my girls a lot more!
One picture over the top:

DSCN23935.JPG

Good investment, me thinks. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom