BeezLuiz & LiquidIntel Are At It Again: Outdoor Grow Season 3

Speaking of "fun things", while I've been recuperating, I made some more items from the plant skeletons. You may remember, I gave my friend a plant to grow during the summer- a Dresen Green Diamond, which he nicknamed "Miss Dresden". He grew it, harvested it, and gave me the carcass. I made some pandemic joint holders with it and will probably give him one or two.

He jokingly suggested I make some chopsticks for him with the leftover materials. So I did :cheesygrinsmiley:
View media item 1813739
View media item 1813738They're not super straight, but they should still work.

Any plans for the KA5H redwood trunk?
Funny you would ask. Just a couple days ago I separated it out from the rest of the branches.
I was thinking I would try to fashion it into a small bong. However, the top half is not quite solid.
So I had to cut it down a little more until I reached more solid wood.
And after peeling away the bark, this is what it looks like.
I haven't given up on the project yet, but it's going to be difficult. The wood also feels a little wet still, so I'm going to let it dry out a little more. I'll update as I go, and if successful I'll summarize in the Pipe Tutorial.

Hi Everyone, it's been a bit since I've updated here, but I wanted to make sure I posted this info. I finally sent some samples of my 2020 grow to a lab to get some testing done. These tests were done using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).

Here's what I sent out and why:
1. Gorilla Breath Flower. Standard potency test. I wanted to know the THC & CBD strength of the flower for calculating oil infusions, and how much CBN present to give me an idea whether I harvested too early or too late.
2. Super Critical Bud CBD. Standard potency test. Same reasons as above.
3. Dr. S Flower. Standard potency test. Same reasons as above.
4. Killer A5 Haze Flower. Standard potency test. Same reasons as above.
5. Killer A5 Haze Trim. Standard potency test. I want to know the difference between using the flower and using the trim. I trim the large plants using a BOWL TRIMMER, and there seems to be a lot of good quality sugar leaves and flower bits in the resulting trim.
6. Killer A5 Haze Grapeseed Oil. Standard potency test. I used the same trim material above to make some oil and I want to know my actual infusion efficiency vs my calculated numbers.

While all the data was very valuable for learning science, I was surprised (both good and bad) by some of the results. Here's a summary of the flower/trim testing and comparison with what the breeder estimated these varieties to be. Let me know if you'd like to see the actual lab reports.
Lab Test Summary.jpg

First of all, none of my samples came close to the breeder estimates. While not really surprising, still disappointing. I'm really kinda shocked at the Killer Haze results at only 5% THC vs the 23-30% the breeder advertised. I likely harvested it too early (14.5 weeks of flower) since there is zero CBN detected. Really, none of my samples had any levels of CBN so maybe I'm harvesting all my plants too early as a rule. This could be very valuable information for me! Also, I realize that my plants get pretty large and are grown outdoors - could this be a factor for the lower than expected potency? :hmmmm:

The Super Critical Bud CBD is also a bit of a surprise. While I was skeptical of the breeder values from the beginning, I was expecting some evidence of CBD. The lab says basically ZERO CBD, and only 8.5% THC. :oops: Regardless, my son and I find it to be a very pleasant high. The Lemon Potion that I had tested last year, also gave me similar results - No CBD.

As far as my suspicions regarding the flower vs trim, I was pretty accurate. It looks like the trim is about 90% of the flower potency and will help me in future oil infusion projects. Also, for future harvests, I need to decide whether I should trim less than I do now, but as long as I am using all the trim for oil making it probably doesn't matter too much. I still have more flower than I can possibly smoke.

Your thoughts on this are certainly welcome. In my next post, I'll discuss the oil testing.

Wow, it sure is nice to see some true lab results. Thank you for doing and sharing that Beez. And wow! I can’t believe none of them came even close to the breeder sales pitch estimates!! Mind blown o_O

OK, I decided to take screenshots of the actual lab tests and have included them here at the bottom of the post.

I was quite happy with the grapeseed oil testing. Now that I know the actual potency of the plant material I used, I plugged that value into my spreadsheet to find that my estimate for the oil was 2.6 mg/mL. The lab test came out higher at 3.1 mg/mL. :yahoo:

The assumptions I use for my calculations has been 95% decarb efficiency and 90% infusion efficiency for grapeseed oil. The only way I get 3.1 mg/mL is to assume 100% efficiency for both! Oh, as a reminder I use the Ardent unit for both decarb and infusion. I also had some oil tested last year using the Lemon Potion flower. That gave me similar results - suggesting approx 95% total efficiency. At least I seem to be making my oils correctly. :cool:

Lab Gorilla Breath Flower.jpg

Lab Super Critical Bud Flower.jpg

Lab Dr S Flower.jpg

Lab Killer Haze Flower.jpg

Lab Killer Haze Trim.jpg

Lab Killer Haze Oil.jpg

:thedoubletake:That is super interesting and really surprising with the levels the Lab found, or perhaps not. I have seen mention many times of bud tested surprisingly low in THC% and yet folk smoking it are blown away so I've guessed the metric of highlighting THC% as the key constituent to test is maybe shadowing out the contribution from the other cannabinoids for the overall entourage effect. Thanks a lot for posting.

I can’t believe none of them came even close to the breeder sales pitch estimates!! Mind blown o_O
IKR! I'm thinking I may need to make some changes this next growing season. While the results were disappointing, the information was worth the cost of the tests.
I have seen mention many times of bud tested surprisingly low in THC% and yet folk smoking it are blown away so I've guessed the metric of highlighting THC% as the key constituent to test is maybe shadowing out the contribution from the other cannabinoids for the overall entourage effect.
I've had comments from 4 different folks that have tried my 5% Killer Haze. They all really enjoyed it. I had the option to test for terpenes as well, but that was more expensive and this was already a pretty big spurge to get the tests that I got. Maybe someday I'll give it a go.

I've had comments from 4 different folks that have tried my 5% Killer Haze. They all really enjoyed it. I had the option to test for terpenes as well, but that was more expensive and this was already a pretty big spurge to get the tests that I got. Maybe someday I'll give it a go.
Given the figures you have obtained it is pretty funny for it's unexpectedness, but it's in line with similar comments after testing.

A few years ago I read of testing done on something like 300 strains, I think in Canada, where the average turned out to be lower than expected, something like 14%. So in spite of having grown strains that were suggested to be in the mid 20's I have retained the possibility that what I am smoking could actually be a far lower THC% in number, like the above Canadian average. I really wonder whether the THC% number is a red herring that we're mistakenly chasing after, I am beginning to think so, that it may be a distraction from finding other truely rewarding strains. There's so many cannabinoids in so many ratios out there, that running too quickly after THC% may be missing a lot potential.

Let me start by saying :welldone: on sinking your Covid relief check into a local business!
I'm really kinda shocked at the Killer Haze results at only 5% THC vs the 23-30% the breeder advertised. I likely harvested it too early (14.5 weeks of flower) since there is zero CBN detected.
With no CBN in any of them I'd think you're either way too early or their machines need calibrating. How much amber are you getting generally before you chop?
are grown outdoors - could this be a factor for the lower than expected potency?
That's an interesting question to me, as an outside grower. I don't think my THC numbers come close to breeder estimates or what tent growers get. Does a plant with an ever-changing environment produce less THC even though it has more to worry about in terms of survival? And does the 100% higher lux not count for anything?

Some folks feel that MC plants don't have the power of those on other nutes as well, but I recall that you're not using that and LI is?
The Lemon Potion that I had tested last year, also gave me similar results - No CBD.
LOL! They really need to rebrand that one :).
The Super Critical Bud CBD is also a bit of a surprise. While I was skeptical of the breeder values from the beginning, I was expecting some evidence of CBD. The lab says basically ZERO CBD, and only 8.5% THC.
That's just crazy for a supposed 1:1 CBD variety, and why I only grow Candida for my CBD and mix it when I want a blend.

I'm going to have to start lowering the THC estimates when I make oil based on your numbers. I've never tested any of my THC varieties but now I'm tempted to send up a bud.

:thanks: for running and posting all your tests!

Let me start by saying :welldone: on sinking your Covid relief check into a local business!
:laughtwo: I guess I could have tested two more items and used the full amount!
With no CBN in any of them I'd think you're either way too early or their machines need calibrating. How much amber are you getting generally before you chop?
I typically shoot for about 10-20% amber, but probably need to adjust that since outdoor plants tend to amber up prematurely. If I remember correctly, @Amy Gardner mentioned this. I do remember thinking at times that even though I see lots of amber, I still see lots of clear. Definitely something for me to consider for my next season.
Does a plant with an ever-changing environment produce less THC even though it has more to worry about in terms of survival? And does the 100% higher lux not count for anything?
Maybe THC isn't a necessary "survival" component for the plant as long as the trichomes are nice and sticky. I'm wondering if the extra lux just promotes more growth and the plant forgets to concentrate on THC production. Dang, if I had my own test lab, I could answer so many questions!
Some folks feel that MC plants don't have the power of those on other nutes as well, but I recall that you're not using that and LI is?
I didn't use MC on any of my photo period plants (Killer Haze, Dr S, and Gorilla Breath), but @Liquidintel did use it on the Super Critical Bud CBD that he grew. I do remember when we harvested his plant there was quite a bit more amber than I usually see on my plants, and that's the only one that had any CBN detected in the tests.
That's just crazy for a supposed 1:1 CBD variety, and why I only grow Candida for my CBD and mix it when I want a blend.
IKR! I've been sprinkling my Dr S in with the Lemon Potion and Super Critical just to see how they were "supposed" to smoke. :laughtwo:

Please pardon the intrusion, maybe you and/or your followers might be interested :cheer:

If so, please apply in the comparative grow thread, as I won't be responding to replies here :thanks:

:Namaste:

Hello Beez! I hope all's well in your world!
It's outdoor time in California again. I'm getting an early start because of the weather.
Smile and stay stoneder.

It's outdoor time in California again. I'm getting an early start because of the weather.
Indeed it is! I'm getting ready to soak some seeds in the next day or two. I'm excited to get started. :surf:

I've taken a bit of a sabbatical from social media and growing, but my batteries are just about charged up and ready to get into action again. I'll move this journal to the "completed journals" section and will post a link here once my new journal gets up. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom