BeezLuiz & LiquidIntel Outdoor Grow 2019: White Widow, Northern Lights & CBD Lemon Potion

Fuckin Pine Cones Buddeeeeeee!
Wow that's some big colas
Great work on the NL to both you guys :bravo:

Another fine harvest Beez! :Namaste:
:thanks: Everyone!
You usually do a bud wash right? How did you work that out while doing a multi day harvest?
Yes, indeed I do wash my buds. I utilize both the H2O2 bucket as well as the lemon Juice/baking soda bucket. I really prefer trimming "wet" buds so I only wash as much as I can trim within an hour. When the buds are wet, the leaves stay fresh and perky -- easier to trim, but mostly because the gloves and scissors do not get sticky. I never needed to clean my scissors during the entire trim (I did clean them after each day of use though). Since I am now using a bowl trimmer as well, the leaves also trim in that device much better when wet. Once the leaves start wilting, things get messy.

As far as the buckets go, I used smaller 3 gallon buckets for the H2O2 and the lj/bs dips so that I didn't have to use as much ingredients. I dumped and remixed as the buckets got dirty - and they got quite dirty. The rinse buckets (5 gallons) were dumped and refilled as needed, which was often. :Namaste:

Thank you! I suppose one day of your harvest is probably about the same as one of my plants! :laughtwo:

I read that you trim yours straight out of the wash, so I started doing that too. So much less messy, just like you said, hardly have to clean my snips. Thanks Beez!!

I grabbed 2/3 of the outdoor stuff yesterday. It was a lot of work. I used the h202 rinse rinse method. Took me 4 straight ours of pruning, washing, rinsing, rinsing, trim, hang. Was so tired when I was done, but well worth it!. Only the nicest spears left for ripening. 1 or 2 weeks maybe. She's almost all cloudy from what i see in yesterdays pics. I can't imagine how much work that must've been for you!

I was just looking at the pics on your journal - looking sweet! :thumb:
I can't imagine how much work that must've been for you!
Yeah, it's a lot of mixed emotions. The dread of "this is taking forever", to the excitement of "I'll have a lifetime supply of weed off one plant". When I close my eyes to drift asleep, all I see is buds and trim (and caterpillars). :laughtwo:

Here's the updated charts of the two photoperiod plants.
Growth chart 15.jpg

Growth chart 14.jpg

As expected, Northern Lights (606 grams) did not yield quite as well as White Widow (720 grams), but I'm still happy with the results.

I'll be summarizing all 7 plants in the next couple days.

I recently visited a cannabis testing lab not far from my home. I submitted 3 samples to have tested. I got some good data - some was disappointing and some was encouraging, so I guess I got my money's worth.
Test #1:
Back in July, I made some infused oil from LPa's root ball in hopes that I could extract a good amount of CBD from the roots as some folks have claimed. Some discussion of what I did can be found Here on page 26. The results came back with zero amounts of CBD or any other cannabinoids. :( Here's the COA.
COA Root Oil.jpg

Test #2:
I had some flower tested from my second CBD Lemon Potion auto plant. According to the breeder it could have as much as 15% CBD and 8% THC. The results were surprising and again disappointing. While it did indeed have the expected amount of THC, the CBD was LOQ (below the Limit of Quantitation). Here's that COA:
COA Lemon Potion Flower.jpg

The value of interest is 7.6% THC. As explained to by the lab, they take THC + (THCA *.88) as some of the THCA is lost due to decarb. The "dry" value is what the flower might contain if it were dehydrated - my moisture content was 11.5% which is pretty typical.

Test #3:
This test was a little more encouraging for me. I took the flower from the same buds that I submitted for test #2 to make some grapeseed oil. By my calculations I expected 9.7 mg/ml CBD and 5.2 mg/ml THC. Of course, since there was zero CBD in the flower, my oil also had zero CBD, but the report indicates 6.7 mg/ml of THC. This was much better than my estimate. Here's that COA:
LP Grapeseed Oil.jpg

It appears I was being too conservative in my estimates, so now I can go back to my formula and make some tweaks. My spreadsheet formula assumed 95% decarb efficiency and 82% infusion efficiency for grapeseed oil. Since I now know what my starting flower THC concentration is, I can adjust my efficiency assumptions appropriately. :cool:

Sorry about all this geeky data stuff, but I am a data junky.

Great harvest and great way to get it done! Much less stress and it doesn't take an entire day out of your life where nothing else gets done.
:bravo:

Great work getting all the tests done. Sorry about the LPa but at least you're enjoying it!

I don't have a spot in my spreadsheet for decarb efficiency, but after seeing the results of my Candida oil test, I'm good with the 100% assumption. Based on your 0.0032 THCa content, you can be too!

Awesome Luiz. Thanks for laying out the test results like that. Makes me very confident we’re all making fairly accurate estimations of our potency :thumb:

Big bummer about the LPa. I’m very dubious about breeder claims unless they are also sharing lab tests or lab test results are available. Somehting I do when researching a new strain is google for the strain name + ‘test results’ or ‘terpene profile’ or similar and there are a couple of labs that come up a lot whose tests are available to view online... for example the top 2 results here it can help get an idea of the breeders claims as they differ from real world results ;) If there are enoug tests of a strain, it can give me an idea of stability too :nerd-with-glasses:

I don't have a spot in my spreadsheet for decarb efficiency, but after seeing the results of my Candida oil test, I'm good with the 100% assumption. Based on your 0.0032 THCa content, you can be too!
That was certainly the best part of all my testing... to know that I'm getting a good decarb and infusion with my current methods.
Somehting I do when researching a new strain is google for the strain name + ‘test results’ or ‘terpene profile’ or similar and there are a couple of labs that come up a lot whose tests are available to view online...
That's an excellent suggestion. I haven't thought to do that before now.. :circle-of-love:

Wicked information. What a bummer about the LPa! I'd love to have my two LPa's tested, maybe one day when this kind of thing becomes affordable for the average joe. I sure hope mine have some CBD... o_O

I'm getting a good decarb and infusion with my current methods.
Hey Beez, do you have a link for your oil making process? Or a quick run down maybe? I’m starting to think I might need to tweak my process.

What a bummer about the LPa! I'd love to have my two LPa's tested, maybe one day when this kind of thing becomes affordable for the average joe. I sure hope mine have some CBD... o_O
The testing is indeed kinda pricey. Using an HPLC ( High Performance Liquid Chromatography ) the results should be very accurate but cost me $75 per test. They also have an "Express Potency Test" using an NIR tool (Near InfraRed) that is still pretty accurate (+/- 1%) as long as the concentration is between 2% and 21%. That one costs $50 per test. Future tests on flower, I might use that one.
Hey Beez, do you have a link for your oil making process? Or a quick run down maybe? I’m starting to think I might need to tweak my process.
Well, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my method is simply to use the Ardent Nova unit. For decarb, I just place the flower into the unit (don't even need to grind it up) and press the "ON" button. It does the rest and automatically shuts off when complete (approx 90 minutes). I then fill a small measuring glass with 2 oz of oil and add the decarbed flower. I place the glass into the unit and again press the "ON" button. About 2 hours later, it's done. The oil seems to take slightly longer to infuse than the flower decarb process. I strain the flower out of the oil with cheese cloth. Starting with 2 oz of oil usually yields about 1.75 oz after straining the flower out. There's nearly no smell, and best of all no mess to clean up except for the cheese cloth and the measuring glass. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The unit is pretty small so it's only good for small batches, which is really all I ever need. For edibles and tinctures I also add about 1/4 tsp (per 2 oz of oil) of liquid sunflower lecithin after the infusion cycle is complete. :Namaste:

The testing is indeed kinda pricey. Using an HPLC ( High Performance Liquid Chromatography ) the results should be very accurate but cost me $75 per test. They also have an "Express Potency Test" using an NIR tool (Near InfraRed) that is still pretty accurate (+/- 1%) as long as the concentration is between 2% and 21%. That one costs $50 per test. Future tests on flower, I might use that one.

Well, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my method is simply to use the Ardent Nova unit. For decarb, I just place the flower into the unit (don't even need to grind it up) and press the "ON" button. It does the rest and automatically shuts off when complete (approx 90 minutes). I then fill a small measuring glass with 2 oz of oil and add the decarbed flower. I place the glass into the unit and again press the "ON" button. About 2 hours later, it's done. The oil seems to take slightly longer to infuse than the flower decarb process. I strain the flower out of the oil with cheese cloth. Starting with 2 oz of oil usually yields about 1.75 oz after straining the flower out. There's nearly no smell, and best of all no mess to clean up except for the cheese cloth and the measuring glass. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The unit is pretty small so it's only good for small batches, which is really all I ever need. For edibles and tinctures I also add about 1/4 tsp (per 2 oz of oil) of liquid sunflower lecithin after the infusion cycle is complete. :Namaste:

You know, that's actually not half bad considering how highly detailed the read outs are. Especially when you've got a lot of time and money invested in a large harvest. To know exactly what potency the bud has developed and it's overall content of cannabinoids.

It really is a bummer that the LPa developed no CBD whatsoever. Would be very interesting to see comparative tests from a strain like this "2:1" to see what people are really achieving in the real world.

It really is a bummer that the LPa developed no CBD whatsoever.
I'm still a little bit in denial - having trouble believing zero CBD. I'm almost tempted to have another sample tested.
You know, that's actually not half bad considering how highly detailed the read outs are. Especially when you've got a lot of time and money invested in a large harvest. To know exactly what potency the bud has developed and it's overall content of cannabinoids.
I was also fortunate enough to be able to split the cost with my son and one of his friends. They are more than happy to chip in for the testing since they get a bunch of free weed. :laughtwo:
Thank you, you’re the Beez kneez!! That sounds great, especially the no smell.
The no smell part is what got me looking for something better than my oven. After the first couple of oven decarbs, the wife was not a happy camper at all... neither was I for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom