BeezLuiz & Liquidintel's Outdoor Grow 2018

Hey There :cool:,
We're 2/3 of the way through our first grow, but I thought I would share a recap of our progress as we near the end of our flowering cycles.

Info:
Outdoor grow in SF Bay Area, CA
One plant each of 5 different strains. Clones were purchased from our local dispensary:
Dream Queen (30% Indica / 70% Sativa)
Cookies (60% Indica / 40% Sativa)
Blueberry Muffin (80% Indica / 20% Sativa)
Blackberry Fire (70% Indica / 30% Sativa)
Sour Diesel (10% Indica / 90% Sativa)

Soil: Fox Farm Ocean Forest
Nutrients: Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow, Bloom and Cal-Mag; Emerald Harvest Cali Pro Bloom A/B, King Kola, Honey Chome.

We bought 3 of the plants on 4/28 and then two more on 5/24. Started them in quart sized pots. We kept them indoors for the first 4 weeks using my two cheap-o $15 flourescent grow bulbs. 18/6 light cycle.
Dream Queen 02a.jpg

After a week of hardening off, we transplanted them into 10 gallon Smart Pots and moved them outdoors.
Blueberry Muffin 03a.jpg

Above pic is Blueberry Muffin 6 weeks from clone purchase.
We alternated approx every other day - hose water and grow nutrients. We followed the recommended mix ratios from the container, which ultimately ramped up to 20ml per gallon (Botanicare Grow).
One early mistake we made was under estimating how much room these girls would need. By July, Sour Diesel started showing signs of being root bound, so we transplanted her into a 25 gallon Smart Pot. She appreciated the extra room for her roots.
Sour Diesel 06a.jpg
Sour Diesel 09a.jpg

First pic is on 6/25 at 8 weeks old in 10 gallon pot (47 inches tall). 2nd pic is on 7/21 at 12 weeks old in 25 gallon pot (71 inches tall).

This post is getting a little lengthy so I'll continue with Part 2 on the next post :peace:.

Part 2:
We decided it was wise to transplant the others into larger pots as well. I was able to get some 20 gallon pots online very reasonable price -- tip of the day: make sure your pots have handles!!

Blueberry muffin was the first to show flowering on 6/24 approx 8 weeks from clone purchase. Since it was already flowering when we realized 10 gallon pots were too small, we didn't want to risk injury or shock so we left her in her 10 gallon pot. You can see in the pic at the top of the first post that she is the smallest of the five. I'm pretty sure it's because of the smaller pot -- good lesson learned.

Well all plants are now in various stages of flowering. I switched over from Grow to Bloom formula. Gave them 20ml per gallon and 5ml per gallon of Cal-Mag. After finishing the bottle of Botanicare Bloom, I switched over to the Emerald Harvest Bloom and also introduced King Kola and Honey Chome.

The plants seems to be pretty happy for the most part. I do have a couple concerns though. On "Cookies" some of the leaves started turning purple.
I read that it could be due to colder temps at night or large temperature swings. That could be the case, but weather here lately has been fairly mild with the nights dropping to about 60F. Also read that it could be phosphorous deficiency. I've been feeding it the same nutes as the other plants, but only this one was affected. I also realized that I had not checked the pH of my nutrients since switching over to the Bloom formula. Sure enough the pH was pretty low -- about 5. Since then, I've been balancing the pH of my nutrients before each feeding (approx 6.5). The plant actually seems OK now, after about a week of doing this.

(part 3 to follow).

Part 3:
Another concern I'm having is with Dream Queen. The leavings started looking a little droopy and many are turning yellow.
The other plants are getting the same watering schedule and nutrients, so I'm not really sure what the problem is. It is in flowering mode, but still early in the process so I don't think it's the normal yellowing. I did a bit of pruning about a week before, but I think I was pretty conservative with the pruning -- just removed some bottom and inside growth, but maybe it didn't like that. As mentioned earlier, my pH level was low for a few weeks (approx 5). I'm hoping that balancing the pH will be the fix, but not sure. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Here's a growth chart of the five plants.
Grow Chart.jpg

The shortest of the five, was Blueberry Muffin which stayed in its original 10 gallon pot.

Below are some photos of Blueberry Muffin, which we harvested on Sunday 8/26. I will post some photos of our drying space in the next day or two.

Here's a growth chart of the five plants.
Grow Chart.jpg

The shortest of the five, was Blueberry Muffin which stayed in its original 10 gallon pot.
This is my favorite post ever!

But it might just be me--my professional/educational background is in quantitative natural resources. But I always tell folks they can learn alot from recording such data.

I keep spreadsheets with growth notes, expenses, flowering dates, etc. Extremely useful for me.

Even though it's not as fun as your great bud & plant photos. :goodjob:

This is my favorite post ever!

But it might just be me--my professional/educational background is in quantitative natural resources. But I always tell folks they can learn alot from recording such data.

I keep spreadsheets with growth notes, expenses, flowering dates, etc. Extremely useful for me.

Even though it's not as fun as your great bud & plant photos. :goodjob:
You are 100% right, the graph of the plant height has helped us in multiple ways. By helping determine if the plant is rootbound (BlackBerry Fire) was showing signs of slowed growth, but once transplanted it started to to regain momentum up. While looking at Blueberry Muffin, (who never got transplanted) did not grow much after it became root bound. Plus, its crazy to see that in 1 weeks time, some of the plants grew as much as a foot. I'm definitely glad my father created the graph!

You are 100% right, the graph of the plant height has helped us in multiple ways. By helping determine if the plant is rootbound (BlackBerry Fire) was showing signs of slowed growth, but once transplanted it started to to regain momentum up. While looking at Blueberry Muffin, (who never got transplanted) did not grow much after it became root bound. Plus, its crazy to see that in 1 weeks time, some of the plants grew as much as a foot. I'm definitely glad my father created the graph!
One of my better profs used to say:

"Trust your eyes. But if you collect data & thoroughly digest it, you'll be able to trust your eyes even more."

And again, that graph is absolutely stellar, not only in hindsight, but in the foresight that collecting that data would be so useful.

Seriously, while there's some great stuff put together by folks on this site, I haven't seen anything I've liked more.

Thank you so much ansihalped! I have 30 years of engineering under my belt, so it's kinda 2nd nature for me to collect data. Plus my memory isn't so great, so I try to write everything done.:cool:

Your girls are lovely.
I'm going to pull up a chair I love an out door grow this will be nice time.
Thanks Juststarting! -Edit, dang auto correct.

OK, so now there are four:

We decided the trichomes on Blueberry Muffin were about right for harvest.

So on Sunday we took her down.

It was exciting and a bit sad at the same time.

I'm having some issues with one of my plants: Dream Queen (70% Sativa).
Dream Queen 10.jpg

Don't think it's over watering, no bugs, pH was off but fixed it a couple weeks ago. Maybe nitrogen deficiency?(I also started a new post in "Frequently asked Questions" section.

I’ve grown a coupla strains that have had leaves turn yellow in last few weeks of flower. Seems like some just do that, but I’ve got no experience with DQ.

Maybe leaf diagnosis wizards @Chris Scorpio @Pennywise will respond to the batphone & offer their expertise.

Nitrogen was the only thing I could think as well, but this far into flower I wasn't sure if that was a wise thing to do. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

My nutrient is NPK 9-3-7 all the way from seedling to harvest, the only thing I add is Potassium Silicate
That's really interesting. I didn't realize one formula could work for both veg and flower. Is this a custom mixture or something off the self?

Back
Top Bottom