Beginner Grow - 5x6 Room - 1000Watt MH/HPS - PK Maui Waui Blackwater

1stgrow2018

1st time grower. Looking for a place to keep a few photos of my progress. Feel free to add any comments, questions, tips, suggestions, etc.

I will give a quick run down of what I have done so far and my setup.

Around December 23rd, 2017 I placed 4 Crop King Feminized Purple Kush and some random old bag seeds in some moist paper towels and germinated some seeds.

Around December 25th I placed the germinated seeds into some little Jiffy pellets and put them under a 2 foot T5 light with 6400k bulb and a 2 foot T8 with a random bulb in a small cabinet.

A few of the seeds started to poke through and start to grow.

I had them like this until January 3rd, 2018 when I got my 1000 watt mh/hps lights/digital ballast and planted the Jiffy Pellets into some plant growing cups I found laying around. More to come.

So on with the story. January 3/4 My new light arrived and I hooked it up with a mh bulb in my little grow room (old laundry room) and set the ballast to the lowest setting. Seeing as how it is very cold in the grow area at the moment (no heater in the room) I figured I would start using the 1000 watt light to raise the temperature up. It would be as low as 60 degrees in the space without the big light on. Since switching to the light I have been able to keep the temperature between 72-79 degrees.

IMG_20180111_1556465.jpg

With this being my first grow and pretty much just making it up as I go, I decided to move the seedlings that were in the Jiffy pellets to some old cups I had laying around. At this point the seedlings seemed to have stopped growing except for one of the Purple Kush seedlings. I filled some cups up with some soil that I bought at a local store and transplanted the pellets into the cups.

The seedlings were in various states of growth or not and some looked better than others.

The light is about 4 feet above the plants and running 24 hours a day. I pretty much leave things as they are and water the plants once or twice in the next 10 days or so as the soil drys out. Out of the 6 seedlings that have been planted, only one of the Purple Kush ones seems to be showing any signs of growth. The rest of the seedlings seemed to just stall.

They all look like this or worse, and have been like this for almost 2 weeks.

At this point I figure I must have stunted the plants growth too much with the low temps to start and the transplanting to new cups and figure I should try and germinate some of the other random seeds I have around. So between Jan. 13th to the 19th I germinate and plant some seeds. I have 2 Maui Waui seeds and 6 Black Water. So into some paper towel they go. One of the Maui Waui seeds and 4 of the Black Water seeds pop! So I place them directly in some soil in some small cups. Blackwater were planted on the 15th, and Maui on the 19th.

A shot of the Black Water girls 9 days from seed.

Maui Waui being born on day 2 in soil!

Shot of the Purple on Jan 24th. About 4 weeks since seed. Seems small to me. And some weird looking stuff happening with the leaves. You can see one of the other seedlings in the background that is the same age. Bit of a difference right?

Here are a few pictures from yesterday. The plants seem to be healthy enough minus some issues with the look of some leaves. What are your thoughts on the grow so far? I am very open to suggestions. Reply with any thoughts or questions you may have.

Thanks for looking!

Hey mate I've subbed in.

Those leaves that have canoed look to be stress from the light. How far up is it sitting? I'd definitely raise it a tad, that's what they're telling you. You can see it in the photo from when you said you first moved them under the hps. And that's the leaves at the bottom that are still really evident on the last pics. Even new growth seems to be following the trend so that's my suggestion, raise the light .

If your light is 4 feet away or 120 cm in other words, your plants will stretch out their ass.

I think you should have a oscillating vent on plant level. If I'm looking right, your humidity is 25% and this is the reason your plants are wilting along with the heat stress. After they adapt to the environment, they will kick off.

Is the light air-cooled or not?

Maui on Jan. 27th (5 days old)

Purple on Jan 27th

Around now I notice some weird growth on the bottom of some cups

So I transplant the 5 youngest plants into some bigger cups and let em continue to do their thing.

First notice bro get some fabric pots out 420 sponsors have some great fabric pots. Why this allows your roots to air prune on the outside and better breathe . Even out your drying better of medium . I'll grab a picture of my big bomb and show what I'm talking a bout tonight .

Besides that with that flower space man. You should add some led in it as well get that frosty as snot ..

Brother....what happened to all of your other girls?

I'm growing in a very similar situation. Mine is outdoors in Canada in Winter LOL. It is in my shed, my flower room is 5 by 5 like yours and I am using a metal halide in veg. Presently my flower room is using LEDs. In my personal opinion it has nothing to do with your light, it has everything to do with your soil and the fact that the Pro mix organic does have time release nutrients in it that will affect small plants.

Check out my grow too. Very similar setups. I've gone through some of the things you may encounter.

If your light is 4 feet away or 120 cm in other words, your plants will stretch out their ass.

I think you should have a oscillating vent on plant level. If I'm looking right, your humidity is 25% and this is the reason your plants are wilting along with the heat stress. After they adapt to the environment, they will kick off.

Is the light air-cooled or not?

The light isn't air cooled. It is back to about 3 feet above plants now with a fan blowing around the room now. The humidity is low for sure. Even in the rest of the house not in that little closet it usually under 40% here in winter.

First notice bro get some fabric pots out 420 sponsors have some great fabric pots. Why this allows your roots to air prune on the outside and better breathe . Even out your drying better of medium . I’ll grab a picture of my big bomb and show what I’m talking a bout tonight .

Besides that with that flower space man. You should add some led in it as well get that frosty as snot ..

I have 5x 5 gallon fabric pots on hand, just waiting for more soil at the local store. They didn't have much on hand during winter.

I have 5x 5 gallon fabric pots on hand, just waiting for more soil at the local store. They didn't have much on hand during winter.

Can I convince you to grab some coco?

Can I convince you to grab some coco?

Looking at your post history I would say I am open to suggestions for sure. If it were you what would you be doing different? What should I use?

The light isn't air cooled. It is back to about 3 feet above plants now with a fan blowing around the room now. The humidity is low for sure. Even in the rest of the house not in that little closet it usually under 40% here in winter.
Can you get a container of water in there or a wet towel? Something to increase humidity like that will make a huge difference .

Can you get a container of water in there or a wet towel? Something to increase humidity like that will make a huge difference .

I tried that for a few days. Had a few containers of water and 2 large wet towels hanging. It barely made a difference in the humidity. Winter time here and the heating system in the house is forced hot air. Super low humidity in here.

Back
Top Bottom