Beginner Grow

Stvzie

Hi fellow growers
Starting my first grow. Germinated 2 Candy Kush Auto seeds using Jiffy peat plugs and transferred seedlings to 6" planters about 2 weeks ago. First set of leaves are turning yellow and new growth seems extremely slow ??? with the leaves curling downward.

Grow Box: 15" W x 11.5" L x 32" H
Lighting: started with 3 60 watt CFL, tried 3 100 watt CFL and about 3 days ago switched to 150 watt UFO LED light. / Plants are now about 8" from LED and are on a 18/6 light/day cycle.
PH: Was close to 7.0 / Purchased new gallon of distilled water and added PH Down to test out at 6.0 - 6.5 PH.
Humidity: 30% - 42%
Temp. The grow box has both 3" intake/exhaust fans. Added a small 4" fan to increase circulation. Temp in grow box has been running at about 90F and higher when using the CFL lighting. Switching to LED grow light did not change temp much, has been at about 90F. Adding 4" fan has lowered temp by 2 - 3 degrees.
Soil: 50/50 mix of Scotts Premium topsoil, Kellogg Organic Garden Soil (30,10,10), and Perlite.
Nutrient: Added Foxfarms Grow Big / Mixed 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon water. First feeding was today.
Watering: About every-other day

When first transferred to soil, the seedlings looked great, but growth has not been what I expected and am now getting worried with the yellowing / curling leaves. Have added bowl of water/wet towels to attempt to increase humidity and am considering leaving off grow box door to lower temps. Any suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to 420. Pleased to meet a fellow grower. Will be watching your progress. Good luck and have fun!
:roorrip::reading420magazine:

I am by far no expert as I am only on my second grow. But from what I've learned from my first, it sounds like we're over watering them if you're doing it that often. For plants this young, it's best to let the soil dry out before watering again. The best way to hell how wet or dry the soil is... Just lift the pots when they are freshly watered and feel how heavy they are. As time goes by, lift them every day or so and when they are much lighter than they were, it is probably time to water. Also, the plant will tell you what they need if you pay attention. It sounds like you've done a great job preparing for the grow. The best way to water seedlings is to put a little bit around the stem out to the edges of the leaves then pour the rest around the edges of the pot until you get a little bit of runoff. . By letting them dry out a little, then doing this watering pattern, you will make the roots stretch out in search of water and get a very nice root ball. Remember, the more extensive the roots the better the growth above ground.

Good adjustments. When you mist them,, be certain to do it as you turn the lights off, so you don't create any light Prisms by the light passing through the small water droplets that will burn the leaves. There may not be a lot of heat coming off of your light(s), but the light passing through the water droplets will still burn them.

By the way, welcome to 420 mag! You will find a lot of helpful and generous people here more than willing to help and impart their knowledge. Hey... If a blind man like me feels comfortable doing it with their help, I'm sure your grow will go well. Just let them help you. You may want to have this thread moved by a moderator into the journal in progress forum so it will get more attention than it will here. If we are already in that form, please excuse me as I don't remember if we are or not. Happy growing!

My babies haven't been doing very well, leaves have still been turning yellow and not much new growth. So today went out and purchased a bag of Fox Farms Happy Frog potting soil. Have transplanted both plants into 3 gallon cloth pots using a mixture of the Happy Frog and Perlite. Hopefully, I'll start seeing some better growth in a few days:thumb:

Have uploaded couple pics taken 7/29. Will add some new ones later today

7_29_17_Candy_Kush_A_at_2_weeks.jpg
7_29_17_Candy_Kush_at_2_weeks.jpg

So its been a week since transplanting to new soil/smartpots. My baby girls are looking much better now. I'm going to wait a few more days before I attempt any sort of nutrient feedings. Temps have been running extremely high during the day with the lights (+95 - 100)degrees and humidity is under 30% during the day. Have been misting plants 2 -3 times a day. Have included couple pics.
8_20_17_Candy_Kush_B.jpg

8_20_17_Candy_Kush_A.jpg

Hi, Happy Labor Day. It's been 22 days since my babies were transplanted into the FF soil. Think their looking good. The girls have been feed several times now with FF Big Grow nutrients using a alternating schedule of PH'ed water and then FF Big Grow nutrients. Have also been misting the plants 2 - 3 times a day.

Have been anxiously checking for preflowers past week, have been worried that stress from the early nutrient burns/heat might have caused the girls to go male/hermy on me!!!! Havn't seen anything that looks like balls yet :thumb: Today I saw my first preflower pistils on the baby girls. :high-five: I'm going to continue with the FF Big Grow for another week. Hoping to start seeing a lot more preflowers/pistols. The seed bank I purchased from states that these Candy Kush autos should complete in about 70 days. I think its going to take longer.

Candy_Kush_9_3_171.jpg

Candy_Kush_9_3_17.jpg

So its been over a week now and have contined to see preflowers/pistils growing. Have switched the lighting to 4 23 watt 2700 K CFL's. Briefly tried using 6 23 watt CFL lights but quickly backed down to the 4 lights due to temps over 100 F. Have continued with FF Big Grow Nutrients and on Sunday I started feeding with FF Big Bloom. Have been alternating watering with nutrients and straight ph'ed water. Am also continuing with folier misting of the plants with a weaker solution of ph'ed water and FF Big Grow, but am considering stopping that as the flowers continue to grow

I’ve been using 1 Tbsp per 1 gallon of water of FF Big Grow past couple weeks, and about 1/2 Tbsp of the FF Big Bloom added to the same mix as of Sunday. As I see the buds develop more may cut back on the Big Grow and increase the Big Bloom mix. I am still alternating with pH’ed water and the nutrient mix. about everyother day.

Candy_Kush_9_11_172.jpg

Candy_Kush_9_11_171.jpg

Hi, My girls have contined to grow and can see multiple baby buds starting to grow. Also seem to have had streching occurrring but have read thats kind of normal during early flowering stages. Unfortunatly, that has resulted in the grow running out of room at the top where the CFL lights are and I have had to introduce some bondage (LST). I had considered doing some topping but decided against in favor of LST . I also performed some light Lollypopping on the bottom 1/3 of plant in attempt to direct bud growth to more dominant buds at the top.

The seed bank where seeds were purchased indicate grow time to completion is 65 - 70 days. If I discount the first 2 weeks when I was using a “hot” soil mix and did not have much growth, I can expect to have another 4 -5 weeks flowering before harvest. I expect by that time to have beccome an expert on LSTing the girls.

Candy_Kush_9_18-17_Before_LST_Lollypopping.jpg

Candy_Kush_9_20_17_LST.jpg

Candy_Kush_9_20_17_LST2.jpg

I have continued to have to perform more LST on the girls as some of the other branches are growing taller and getting closer to the CFL lights. Buds are growing larger although I don't think I am going to have all that much of harvest. I also think I am having some cal/mag issues as I have been seeing a lot of yellowing of the lower leaves (have been using purfied RO water). But this is my first grow and has been a excellent learning process. I will be able to apply what I learned on this grow to my next grow :thumb:

Hi fellow growers
Starting my first grow. Germinated 2 Candy Kush Auto seeds using Jiffy peat plugs and transferred seedlings to 6" planters about 2 weeks ago. First set of leaves are turning yellow and new growth seems extremely slow ??? with the leaves curling downward.

Grow Box: 15" W x 11.5" L x 32" H
Lighting: started with 3 60 watt CFL, tried 3 100 watt CFL and about 3 days ago switched to 150 watt UFO LED light. / Plants are now about 8" from LED and are on a 18/6 light/day cycle.
PH: Was close to 7.0 / Purchased new gallon of distilled water and added PH Down to test out at 6.0 - 6.5 PH.
Humidity: 30% - 42%
Temp. The grow box has both 3" intake/exhaust fans. Added a small 4" fan to increase circulation. Temp in grow box has been running at about 90F and higher when using the CFL lighting. Switching to LED grow light did not change temp much, has been at about 90F. Adding 4" fan has lowered temp by 2 - 3 degrees.
Soil: 50/50 mix of Scotts Premium topsoil, Kellogg Organic Garden Soil (30,10,10), and Perlite.
Nutrient: Added Foxfarms Grow Big / Mixed 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon water. First feeding was today.
Watering: About every-other day

When first transferred to soil, the seedlings looked great, but growth has not been what I expected and am now getting worried with the yellowing / curling leaves. Have added bowl of water/wet towels to attempt to increase humidity and am considering leaving off grow box door to lower temps. Any suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Dude, I planted 5 beans in Kellogg's organic soil in this is what they look like after 20 days. I googled Kellogg's and the plethora of 1 star ratings and reviews did not surprise me. It was like reading about my own plants.
420-magazine-mobile94512682.jpg

Continuing to water every other day and am alternating with plain RO water and then with nutrients. Current nutrient mix is 1 tbls Big Grow, 3 tbls Big Bloom, and about a teaspoon ov Epsom Salt in attempt to add some Magnesium to the girls. Bottom 1/3 of plant is now mostly bare as most of the leaves yellowed/dried out. They may not have been getting much light and I still suspect a cal/mag deficiency. My next grow will definitely include cal/mag supplement and am considering following a Fox Farms Feeding schedule I found on this site. Buds are getting larger and maybe have another 2 weeks to go at which point I will maybe begin flushing for a week,depending on the color of the pistils.
Have uploaded some more pics.

Candy_Kush_LST_Bud_10_7_17.jpg

Candy_Kush_Bud_3_10_5_17.jpg

Candy_Kush_Bud_10_7_17.jpg

Candy_Kush_Bud_10_5_17.jpg

Hi, so last night I harvested my 2 girls. First plant gave 2.9 oz /83 G after trimming the buds. Have the buds drying now. Will let dry for about 7 days or so and then transfer to glass jars to begin curing process. Planning on trying first smoke on Thanksgiving Day. 2nd plant buds were airy, and very small. Didn't consider worth the effort to try and trim the buds so the plant was stripped and will be used to make butter later this weekend. The butter will be used to make something; maybe brownies? Should give me an indication on potency of the plants.
Inspection of the plant roots showed well devolved root system, did not look like roots were compacted or root-bound. The 3-gallon live plant pots worked well. Have some 5-gallon live planters that will used on my next grow.
Grow Conclusion
This was my first grow which also was a learning process.
1. Don't start seedlings using a lot of nutrients/ hot soil; their very easy to burn. (now using Fox Farms Happy Frog soil)
2. Avoid overwatering.
3. I have a small grow space, attempting to grow 2 plants caused some serious overcrowding and impacted overall health of the plants/yield. Will only grow 1 plant in that current grow box. Do have another desk cabinet that I am considering on converting.
4. Invest in a TDS meter to monitor PH runoff.
5. Invest in some more nutrients (Fox Farms Grow Schedule) and equipment, ie: digital microscope (jeweler's loupe was hard to use) larger intake/outtake fans, (avg. temps were close to 100 degrees during the day)

Will be germinating some Barney's Farm Feminized Acapulco Gold seeds next week and will hopefully be able to apply what I have learned to this new exciting grow and am expecting much better results.
Happy Growing

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom