Beginner Growing Techniques & Observations: Topping vs Training vs Lollipopping

CannabisMan420

Strain - Gorilla Glue, NYC Diesel
# of Plants - 8
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative + Flower
Bucket Size - 6 Gallon
Lights - (1) 400 Watt HPS
Nutrients - Botanicare Pure Blend Pro (Flowering)
Medium - 50% Soil, 50% Compost
PPM - Unknown
PH - Unknown
RH - Unknown
Room Temperature - 22 C
Room Square Footage - 31.5" x 36" x7'
Pests - None Known

Ok, so I'm new here, but have been growing for about 4.5 years now. Over the course of the past year, I've been mostly growing two strains, the GG and NYCD as listed above. Basically, my questions revolve around the growing techniques of topping, training, and lollipopping in an effort to maximize overall production vs time spent growing.

What I have been doing over the past year is just removing the four lowest sets of branches from my plants, leaving all the leaves, and letting them grow like that. Veg time has typically been about 5-6.5 weeks, with the goal of a nice wide plant between 10-15" tall at flip.

I haven't had much luck with topping or training, as it seems to increase veg time quite a bit, produce smaller buds overall (no fat center cola), and my grow area is limited horizontally, but I have lots of vertical space.

My final results are as follows:

GG#1 - 1.35 Oz
GG#2 - 2.5 Oz
GG#3 - 5.2 Oz
GG#4 - 1.59 Oz
= 10.64 Oz total
= 2.66 Oz per plant avg

NYCD#1 - 1.56 oz
NYCD#2 - 2.3 oz
NYCD#3 - 1.7 oz
NYCD#4 - 2 oz
= 7.56 Oz
= 1.89 Oz per plant avg

From my observations, the plants that produce the most bud using this method would be the best candidates for topping & training, but they also produce branching that grows almost as high as the main cola, kind of negating the need for topping/training...

Below is the biggest plant, the 5.2 Oz beast: (32 days veg, 14.25" tall at flip, 59 days flower, over 60" final height, 91 days total)
From the picture you can see the branching is almost as high as the main cola, with fat buds all around. I could squeeze two of these into my grow area, but it would be tight. FYI I have a separate veg area, so usually am flowering 2 or 3 plants at once.

rsz_2image0.jpg

So my questions are basically, do others get better, faster results using training & topping? What is overall time vs production?
Does the fact that I am using soil relate to the slow recovery times my plants seem to experience if topping or training? Is hydro the way to go for that stuff?
Overall, how to best maximize the use of my flowering area and light?
I smoke a lot of weed, and have a 4 plant limit, so maximizing output while keeping things simple are my goals. : )
Opinions, any advice is very much welcome.

Your yield per plant seems extremely low, especially if you're vegging for 5 - 6 weeks
My last grow, 3 plants vegged for 6 weeks yielded 23 ounces
Training and topping definitely can affect results, and it's not terribly complicated to do.

Wow Stunned, 23 ounces from 3 plants would be massive for me. I guessed the quality of my soil is probably not the best, and I don't use a lot of nutrients, but that is quite a difference from what I've been getting. Here I was all proud of my 5.2 Oz plant lol.

May I ask for more info? Like was that a soil or hydro grow? Did you train or top?

Back
Top Bottom