Beginner Questions on Lights and Grow Roooms

KingJack

Hello everyone, I am interested in growing 2-3 plants in my room. I live in a college house with 4 other room mates and we are all interested in growing plants.

Questions 1: Smell
How much do the plants smell? I have personally never been around fully grown plants so I have no idea what to expect. If I use a carbon based filter in the air out take will this help to reduce the smell?

Questions 2: Lighting
I currently have 4 -
24" T5 Dual High Output Light Fixture 6500k (24w) (T5 HO Fluorescent lamps)

What do you think about these lights? I have used them to grow many carnivorous plants in a green house, not sure how cannabis plants will do under them.

For the grow set up I am thinking about using the Apollo horticulture grow tent, any have any experience using them before?

Any helpful beginner information will help.

Thank you!

Well Jack, in my experience, there is virtually no smell associated with Cannabis. However, my wife can detect the smell a block away before I installed the carbon filter right out of the tent. Then, very minimal Pepe LePew around the house except when I open the tent if I forget to close the door to the furnace room where the tent resides.

As for lights? The more the merrier. Light is food, light is yield. More light, more yield. The T5 will give you vegetative growth but not enough spectrum for good bloom. That is why most LED light set-ups have switches to go from low power veg to higher power, wider spectrum light. My greatest concern is that you are going to get ripped off in that less than stealthy operation.
Happy Growing,:volcano-smiley:

Alright I will be sure to add a carbon filter to my air out take. What LED lights what you recommend for 2 plants? Something I can use for vegetative and bloom stages.

Hello everyone, I am interested in growing 2-3 plants in my room. I live in a college house with 4 other room mates and we are all interested in growing plants.

Questions 1: Smell
How much do the plants smell? I have personally never been around fully grown plants so I have no idea what to expect. If I use a carbon based filter in the air out take will this help to reduce the smell?

Questions 2: Lighting
I currently have 4 -
24" T5 Dual High Output Light Fixture 6500k (24w) (T5 HO Fluorescent lamps)

What do you think about these lights? I have used them to grow many carnivorous plants in a green house, not sure how cannabis plants will do under them.

For the grow set up I am thinking about using the Apollo horticulture grow tent, any have any experience using them before?

Any helpful beginner information will help.

Thank you!

Be careful..

The fact you mentioned you live in a college house... with roomates is definitely risky...

Not sure if you are a college student or not, but if you are... be careful... If you get caught you take the risk of getting kicked out of school and all that tuition money you still owe will have to be paid back... It happened to me decades ago so be careful. Even in states that are legal, many schools have anti-marijuana policies so weigh out your risks vs rewards....

Also, make sure of the distance your house is to what is considered school property. Many states require distances of 600 to 1000 feet away from school zones, and if you are too close and get caught... harsher penalties.

Also, we all know those college roomates... they will say to your face... "i will keep it a secret, I wont tell anyone" and the minute you leave they are showing you plants to their friends... and so on... it happens so be careful.

Don't want to sound like a downer, but just be careful. I chose wrongly and lost a lot of moneys worth of college and was banned not only from the college, but the entire county.

Carbon filter is a wise choice bud, well odour is not overly strong whilst vegging but come mid/late flowering ya know about it also the slow air dry & curing process can be pretty loud... just some strains smell more than others.

Ya also need a good sized exhaust fan to get negative pressure in the tent as this will help conceal odour leaks as well.

Could be a good idea to back odour control up with odour removing gels dotted about the flat/house etc as little extra tip.

The T5 tubes 6500k will be fine for germination & vegging but ya need some thing a little bit better for flowering.

Back
Top Bottom