Beginning With Single 26 Watt CFL 2 Bagseed Grow - Feedback Please!

Kushmode

CAM00128898378925.jpg
CAM001261742653784.jpg
CAM00123-722852818.jpg
CAM00120-1819827002.jpg
CAM00121-468948358.jpg

Hey all,
Currently i'm on my first real grow. i have had a few trys before this with some window plants but didnt know anything and they all died in a week or so. So far i have a bad track record haha but i want to keep trying and have been researching day and night with any free time i can get.

Right now I have two seedlings. One is 9 days from sprout today and the smaller one is 3 days from sprout. I had taken previous pics but realized i had my geotagging on so i turned that off and took these pics above. (i hope they are visible in post, i only see urls and stuff)

GROW SETUP: i have a single 26 watt round 2700k CFL kept about 2-3 in from the seedlings in a flexi desk lamp (ghetto i know haha), the box i built has alum foil all around the inside and has a diagonal divider to reduce light spread. i have a regular fan that fits in the box i turn on when i see the leaves start to droop (i assume from humidity) i am using organic choice mg for soil. i have not checked ph of my water yet but i think i will get a tester kit today. as you can probably tell this is def. a low budget grow. please keep this in mind when giving suggestions. i will be buying more lights as i go and even considering going to buy a hps light today if i can find a good price.

PERSONAL WORRIES: 1.Clear cups, bad idea because of roots? i read something like that.
2. Yellowing/Whiteish tips, read this may be normal but im worried its getting too whitish. 3. Probably cant see in pics but i think i see very small white spots here and there on the leaves of my big girl. 4. im pretty sure i need a 5600k light but i couldnt find one at the local store.

Any ideas/feedback would be really appreciates. anything i missed just please ask. i am on here all the time reading grow journals so i will answer pretty quick hopefully. thanks in advanced and happy growing! :)

don't know what your budget is but you are going to need to re-pot soon and more lights too.
KingJohnC is telling you right the bulb you have is better for flower.
good one on starting out with bag seed. its best to learn with cheap stuff other than equipment. if you have a small closet or can get a box, maybe like a refrigerator came in that will do you well. also go to the sporting goods department at wally world and buy a emergency blanket. they are cheap and are much better then using foil. foil can cause hot spots in your grow area and will burn your plants.
I will be watching and hopping you have a great grow Brother or Sister which ever you may be:)

Thanks alot for the sub guys i need the extra help. the space thing is a valid point. i just got back from home depot with a clamp light about 10'' got a spliter so i could put two new cfls in it. for the new light i got a 4 pack of 100 watt 5000k cfls for 10$ it was the highest K they have. for future space i moved the grow to a closet. it is still in the box for now and i have the clamp light hooked up and the desk light still going giving me 226watts total.

i think for the cup issue i am going to just get some red solo cups to put them inside so i dont have to expose them to paint or anything. good thought though.
red cups good idea?

sorry for the disapointment on the grow box build haha, i might be able to though. im in the process of building a coffee table

@dangerous i will look into this panda polly thank you. ill check out your grow tonight.

by the way everyone the seeds were from a tasty batch of mids i picked up from a buddy.

I will have pictures of the modified setup uploaded tomorrow around this time probably to show/ see how much adding 200 watts helped.

ghetto growers united!

when those little round leaves that the seed started with start to yellow and die will be the sign you will need to re-pot.
the bigger the pot the less likely things will go wrong. once they are ready I think its best do get them in their final home till harvest:)

awesome info fish. i didnt know that. i'll get some pots/buckets soon and some new soil because i dont have enoigh for bigger pots. recommendation for soil?

awesome info fish. i didnt know that. i'll get some pots/buckets soon and some new soil because i dont have enoigh for bigger pots. recommendation for soil?
I mix my own but folks around here like Fox Farms Ocean Forrest or Coco choir.
I use a good potting soil and add perlite, worm castings and peat moss. also a bunch of other things:)
stay away from Miracle Grow if you can it has added nutes in it that you cant control

right on brother thanks for the quick answer. would i be able to find coco or this fox farm stuff at any gardening center or home depot?

probably not. its more a specialty item. if there is a Hydro store somewhere near you that would be your best bet.
if not you can do just fine with a good organic potting soil without added nutrients. and you dont need anything real fancy. you can add things later on when you have need and or money. thats how I roll:)
right on brother thanks for the quick answer. would i be able to find coco or this fox farm stuff at any gardening center or home depot?

when those little round leaves that the seed started with start to yellow and die will be the sign you will need to re-pot.
the bigger the pot the less likely things will go wrong. once they are ready I think its best do get them in their final home till harvest:)

"when those little round leaves that the seed started with start to yellow and die will be the sign you will need to re-pot."

Didnt know that! great tip eheh :goodjob:

you could go organic as fish cake has suggested or go with a soiless mixture of peat moss, perlite and vermiculite. i use General Hydroponics Flora series nutrients which are chemical fertilizers, if you wanted to go with organics you could get General Organics GO box. Blue Planet Nutrients are popular as Corey is a member here and often replies quickly to questions, Jon705 has received a coupon code to hand out to members "led grow".

GENERAL HYDROPONICS

https://generalhydroponics.com general organics

realizing now that the new light bulbs i got are 100 watt equivalent. they are actually 23 watt bulbs.i donkt know what i was thinking lol it should work though. but as i said previously im still using my 2700 k light you see in the pics above with my new 5000 k lights. any thoughts on the duel-spectrum thing or should i maybe switch the 2700 out with a 5000K?

CAM00136-1989872827.jpg

amazingly i found a hydro store right up the street hidden behind some buildings on a dead end st i never knew exsisted haha.
he actually had all the awesome ferts and supplies i see online everywhere. even grow tents and lights.
got me some fox farms veg fert and some perfect square pots i cant find anywhere in town.
at this point everything was going great but when i got home i was bored and decided to transplant to my new pots. knowing its a little early, did it anyways.

the transplant was a disaster spilling soil everywhere seedlings falling over and the whole deal. at this pont i realized ive researched just about everything but how to properly transplant (idiot!) i managed to get them in the new pot and stand them up and they look perfectly fine at the moment but i was so worried when it happened i decided to water them with a veryveryvery small amount of fert hoping to help the roots tske to their new home. so i may have made the situation even worse but i felt like i had to do something and they need water with the new soil anyways.

coukd anyone tell me how long it will be before i will see a negative change if i did hurt them? this just happened about an hour ago.

for now i will relax with the bowl and give the plants a little smoke too and hope for the best. please keep positive thoughts in mind for my babys!

i will upload pics of the new setup and the hopeful girls in the next few hrs.

if your vegging them the best with cfl lights is the 6400k or whatever the bright ones are. i also hear that mixing both spectrums works great as well. i used 12 6400k an added in 1 6400k sunblaster t5 fluro for two plants. now that im in flowering i have switched all my bulbs over to the 23watt 2700k soft white cfl's but also left in my 6400k sunblaster bulb for some extra lighting. an as for the transplant issue im sure they will be fine. remember they are a (weed) they can bounce back from most damage that isnt caused chemically ;) so smoke a couple more bowls an relax. theyll be aight.

Back
Top Bottom