Best deterrent for deer?

Lion shit. Or most any of the big cats, really (tiger, the aforementioned lion, jaguar, leopard and snow leopard, cheetah and cougar). Preferably really fresh, too. Deer are a lot dumber than crows, so hanging a dead one up in the middle of your garden won't do it. If they're hungry, they'll shoulder right by it to get to a tasty plant. Unless they're starving, then they might stop for a few bites first.

Lion shit. Or most any of the big cats, really (tiger, the aforementioned lion, jaguar, leopard and snow leopard, cheetah and cougar). Preferably really fresh, too. Deer are a lot dumber than crows, so hanging a dead one up in the middle of your garden won't do it. If they're hungry, they'll shoulder right by it to get to a tasty plant. Unless they're starving, then they might stop for a few bites first.
Haha!! While I might have to substitute lion shit for dog shit. I found the deer's sleeping area and took a piss on it's bed. But I'll try dog shit as well.

get a scarecrow , run by battery but you need a water supply ( hose ) don't know if its possible for you

51KwKdBh89L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Depends on the deer. In general they don’t like new things. So almost anything will scare them off temporarily. But if they’re hungry enough because of population pressure they’ll soon accept it as the new normal and be back.
If you live in a place where you have timid deer then there are many options for a temporary fix.
Where I live, fencing is the only real option and they’re pushing against it every day looking for holes.
Dogs work, though personally I’d rather have the deer.

I should mention- I’ve got lots here. About 7 that are regular enough in my yard I can tell them apart and call them by name, and a few others that I get mixed up. Four of them that will eat out of my hand. I still manage to keep them fenced out of the garden with netting, but none of the other tricks that you read about would work on them

I should mention- I’ve got lots here. About 7 that are regular enough in my yard I can tell them apart and call them by name, and a few others that I get mixed up. Four of them that will eat out of my hand. I still manage to keep them fenced out of the garden with netting, but none of the other tricks that you read about would work on them

Are those farm deer or wild deer that are use to humans?

Are those farm deer or wild deer that are use to humans?

Wild deer. The deer population here is pretty high. I have a fairly big property and they know they’re safe here. I like having them around.

Hmmm that's interesting. So the deer still try to get at the plants even with fencing.
Oh hell yeah. They see and smell all the plants inside. When they push against the netting they can nibble at the edges of my garden.

When I put that plant down to take photos that fawn came running like a kid who just saw a candy mountain. Her expression says it all. I just had time to snap a couple pics and she had her nose stuck right in the plant before I shooed her away.

When I put that plant down to take photos that fawn came running like a kid who just saw a candy mountain. Her expression says it all. I just had time to snap a couple pics and she had her nose stuck right in the plant before I shooed her away.

Hahaha I can't believe that fawn isn't scared of you, given that it is wild. I would have let it have a little nibble on my plant....but not for too long.

I worked hard to make friends with those deer.

It wasn’t me who mentioned who mentioned motion sensors but that is a good idea. Yeah I think they make some that you can communicate through -tell the deer to piss off. Or just motion detectors program to make scary noises. Like that ‘attack spider’ you see sometimes as a Halloween prop. Descends on a thread making spooky sounds...

The way deer think- their number one priority is to not get eaten and so they are always scanning around looking for anything new. They did not like new things. As soon as the new thing becomes an old thing though, they will not care about it much anymore. So it’s possible that there will come a day when you’ll be swearing and yelling through your motion detector thing and they’ll just laugh.
Also you can plan to lose a lot of sleep, because they don’t keep the same hours as us.

I worked hard to make friends with those deer.

It wasn’t me you mentioned who mentioned motion sensors but that is a good idea. Yeah I think they make some that you can communicate through -tell the deer to piss off.

The way deer think- their number one priority is to not get eaten and so they are always scanning around looking for anything new. They did not like new things. As soon as the new thing becomes an old thing though, they will not care about it much anymore. So it’s possible that there will come a day when you’ll be swearing and yelling through your motion detector thing and they’ll just laugh.
Also you can plan to lose a lot of sleep, because they don’t keep the same hours as us.
When it trips the sensor I'm going play a recording as loud as possible of a pride of big fucking hungry lions. The deer will shit it's self.

Yeah I think a fence would be your best bet. For all the trouble you’re talking about going to here, just string up some netting or wire

I hunt too- just not in my yard :)

Back
Top Bottom