Best Guardian Plants

So the ladybugs come refrigerated to trick them into hibernating and in my experience once they warmed up and became active... 1/3 wandered off, 1/3 wanted to f*ck, 1/6 went into my fixtures and fans and 1/6 went looking for food LOL
Sounds about right. The 1/6 th that went looking for food usually did their looking somewhere else than on the plants, like looking for food on the floor or the walls. Adding up all the 1/3s and 1/6s and changing it to a decimal percentage I come up with 99%. That means 1% hung around eating on the plants the way we intended them to.

I have no illusions that companion plants not only work but are happy campers
View media item 1732524
This is Mary Gold...the Marigold I started at seed with my skunk. Companions until flip. She would have attracted any bugs away from the skunk if I had had any. Shes a monster!
I was going to go companion plants but my room is already going to be filled lol so I figured this is the next best thing. I love those little garden guardians though.

... some flowers spiders hate so if we take that flowers terpenes and fill the room with it, it should deter spiders from entering the room... atleast that’s my idea behind this.
Spiders are not necessarily bad. Some of them are very predatory and will actively seek out insects to eat and not just make webs to catch their food.

Mites are related to spiders. I remember reading that they were not a true spider and some of what we call spiders will eat "spider mites".

I have no illusions that companion plants not only work but are happy campers
View media item 1732524
This is Mary Gold...the Marigold I started at seed with my skunk. Companions until flip. She would have attracted any bugs away from the skunk if I had had any. Shes a monster!
Marigolds attract mites so this might be a good one to add to the room to draw that pest away from the other plants. I might have some seeds in with the other vegetable and flower seeds.

Yes I’m well aware of the food chain and the benefits that insects provide. But when it comes to my operation, personally, I want zero insects in my grow room. I grow not only for myself but for the individuals I am caretaker for. I know for a fact that they would be disgusted if they knew there were insects in what should be a sterile grow room.

Marigolds attract mites so this might be a good one to add to the room to draw that pest away from the other plants. I might have some seeds in with the other vegetable and flower seeds.
I thought marigolds were used away from the gardens though?

Spiders are not necessarily bad. Some of them are very predatory and will actively seek out insects to eat and not just make webs to catch their food.

Mites are related to spiders. I remember reading that they were not a true spider and some of what we call spiders will eat "spider mites".
I clean my entire area top to bottom... vacuumed, sweep, mop, all that Jazz... I don’t need spiders to catch a roaming bug. It’s a pain but it’s worth it in my OCD related opinion lol

The oils, will deter spiders, gnats, flies, mites and all sorts of things this isn’t just a deterrent for spiders. I just refer to mites as spiders because well... they are just tiny spiders lol

My only question is dealing with scented oils is will it leave a residue or affect the smell taste of the flower if the oils are absorbed?
I highly doubt that it will have any effect on the plants taste at all.. I will only be using it during veg mostly and most likely won’t use it much in flower as I’ll need the Dehumidifer during that stage. But I plant to use it lightly, so it’s not super thick in the air... maybe during flower I will just get a couple cups and drop some essential oils in the cups so the smell is still there to deter the insects but then there’s no risk of having it floating in the air like when running it through the humidifier... but I’m sure if you ran the oil heavy in flower non stop it would definitely effect fragrance and prolly taste... a quick search resulted that some people that have bad tasting/smelling weed would put a drop or two of lavender on a cotton ball and leave it in there cure jars... I would never do that but that’s what I just read lol some people huh? ... my goal is to find a new method of deterring insects and theoretically this should work beautifully... it’s all going to be trial and error but I doubt this will have any negative effects at all... just go light on the oils... and now you mention that I might just put oils in cups around the room just in case it dies effect the plants but the plants I’m testing now with several oils are actually doing extremely well.

It seems that keeping cilantro in the room can help repel mites, aphids and some other critters.

Interesting read
I know in outdoor gardening its a thing. New to it for cannabis but I am sure some of the same logic applies. Garden buddies that is how I grow my veggies 6 months a year. BC Canada gotta love it

I highly doubt that it will have any effect on the plants taste at all.. I will only be using it during veg mostly and most likely won’t use it much in flower as I’ll need the Dehumidifer during that stage. But I plant to use it lightly, so it’s not super thick in the air... maybe during flower I will just get a couple cups and drop some essential oils in the cups so the smell is still there to deter the insects but then there’s no risk of having it floating in the air like when running it through the humidifier... but I’m sure if you ran the oil heavy in flower non stop it would definitely effect fragrance and prolly taste... a quick search resulted that some people that have bad tasting/smelling weed would put a drop or two of lavender on a cotton ball and leave it in there cure jars... I would never do that but that’s what I just read lol some people huh? ... my goal is to find a new method of deterring insects and theoretically this should work beautifully... it’s all going to be trial and error but I doubt this will have any negative effects at all... just go light on the oils... and now you mention that I might just put oils in cups around the room just in case it dies effect the plants but the plants I’m testing now with several oils are actually doing extremely well.
I like the lavender on the cotton ball thing lmao...like the crackheads wh sprayed their bud with windex to get more weight, more $$$ off their crop, I mean wtf lol. This is why i am going back to old school strains and finally after 40 years just doing it myself. But as for the scented oils...
View media item 1732268
Lol, I really hope it turns out to be a thing to keep away pesty buggers without compromising the plant:hippy:

I like the lavender on the cotton ball thing lmao...like the crackheads wh sprayed their bud with windex to get more weight, more $$$ off their crop, I mean wtf lol. This is why i am going back to old school strains and finally after 40 years just doing it myself. But as for the scented oils...
View media item 1732268
Lol, I really hope it turns out to be a thing to keep away pesty buggers without compromising the plant:hippy:
Lmao I know right, I even knew a dude who would slice thin orange peels and leave em in their cure jars... all for weight. I hated that shit... now windex?!?! Lmao that’s the first time I’ve heard of this. That’s fucking hilarious... disgusting and F’d up but still funny. And I appreciate the positive vibes :) ... and honestly I don’t think we will ever know if it does work... only if it doesn’t. Haha but I have zero problems with insects to begin with so it’s not like I’m trying to fight off an army of bugs to begin with. Most likely I will never see a mite, possibly the occasional gnat but those are just a PAI and easy to conquer.

I like that... and it could be fun to play with. Lol

I’m going to look into it, if their not too much I would absolutely love to have one in my room. Thank you for the idea !

I’m going to look into it, if their not too much I would absolutely love to have one in my room. Thank you for the idea !
I am too. I figure you can buy them at a nursery. They should be cheap and entertaining! :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom