Best Indoor Indica Selection in a Small Space?

Tyro

Hey all,

Getting ready to launch my first grow in late August, thanks for those who have helped so far. I'm trying to decide on plant selection, as I have a very limited space but we're gonna try to make it work.

We will be growing in a stealth gutted dresser, having the front (drawers) section of the dresser attached to hinges which act as a door basically (very sneaky and awesome looking). However, the dimensions all said and done are rather limited: 2.75 ft tall, 1.94 ft wide, and 1.08 feet for a cubic volume of 5.70 feet.

We will be using a single 90 W UFO LED Tri-band, perhaps adding CFLs for flowering but given that we don't have much space for fans/vents (maybe not).

The question here is this: for a beginner's grow, what is the best indica strain that would be able to thrive in such a small setting? Given that space is small we may only grow one plant, but we'd love to squeeze two in there. Obviously we will not be able to veg for an extremely long time as the plant itself will only be able to get to about 2.5-2.6

Any tips on indicas would be very much appreciated as they pertain to size, disease resistance, and overall growability ;).

If GrowGSL happens to read this, thanks for your tips on going LED in a previous post ;) - lookin' good.

Thank you all!

I don't really have any advice on particular strains. Id just say use a reputable seed bank, or really trust the people giving you the clones. Another thing you could do is check out the journals. You can learn a lot about how strains behave in the pics in the journals.

Also read up about stretching in the first two weeks of flowering. There is some good information on this forum about it. I see head room being your greatest nemesis. Probably want to look at LST and SCROG growing too. Good luck

I don't really have any advice on particular strains. Id just say use a reputable seed bank, or really trust the people giving you the clones. Another thing you could do is check out the journals. You can learn a lot about how strains behave in the pics in the journals.

Also read up about stretching in the first two weeks of flowering. There is some good information on this forum about it. I see head room being your greatest nemesis. Probably want to look at LST and SCROG growing too. Good luck

Thanks for the tip on SCROG, I've thought about it doing it and am weighing my options at this point. It's not an ideal space, but considering we want a good output with a 90W Led we obviously have to make some space sacrifices.

As for the strain, if anyone does know one with a proven bushy and rather short (height) genetic history, drop some knowledge on me :). If needed, we'll be able to add another 6 inches to the bottom of the dresser, which won't help a lot but it will be there for an emergency haha.

If anyone has any more info/suggestions they are very welcome!

Thanks billmoe

Also, I wanted to ask what type of ventilation is required with an LED set up; heat obviously won't be the main issue but I want to make sure that I have good air cycling. I will have a fan inside the dresser of course, but what other measures should I take in your opinion?

Hi Guys
I got some free seeds (autoflower) They act funny and do what they want, when they want, but one light system until harvest, no big yield, but kept my pipe full for a long time of Great meds. You'll do O.K.

Hi Guys
I got some free seeds (autoflower) They act funny and do what they want, when they want, but one light system until harvest, no big yield, but kept my pipe full for a long time of Great meds. You'll do O.K.

Thanks for posting! Yeah I'm not too worried about the grow itself, I'll definitely do a journal and get all the help from the community. But, still looking for a strain suggestion for a small (vertical space). If anyone can help it would be awesome!

Also, the ventilation question with LED lighting is still out there ;)!

Thank you all!

You gotta take a look around man. There is a whole sub-section dedicated to strains. You're also not the first guy with ventilation questions on a cabinet grow. Its all here, just browse a bit. :welcome:

Run your cabinet with no plants for few hours. See what temps you are really dealing with. You might be surprised. That will help you begin to understand your ventilation needs. Air exchange is worth reading about as well. gl sir

If you would like just a traditional looking plant or two, that trends towards the more "Christmas Tree" profile, I would strongly recommend Blue Cheese from Medicinal Organics Nursery Seed Bank!

You can get a decent yield from a 27" tall plant. They don't stretch too badly when you put them into flower, not too much in the way of major sideways growth, so they are easy to wrangle if you know what I mean! They also produce some of the strongest bud this old timer has EVER consumed! ;)

I posted a strain review on my plant HERE.

I'm going to be cloning out another crop of four BCs from the revegging original plant in the next few weeks. SO GLAD I kept that one alive after harvest! ;)

If you would like just a traditional looking plant or two, that trends towards the more "Christmas Tree" profile, I would strongly recommend Blue Cheese from Medicinal Organics Nursery Seed Bank!

You can get a decent yield from a 27" tall plant. They don't stretch too badly when you put them into flower, not too much in the way of major sideways growth, so they are easy to wrangle if you know what I mean! They also produce some of the strongest bud this old timer has EVER consumed! ;)

I posted a strain review on my plant HERE.

I'm going to be cloning out another crop of four BCs from the revegging original plant in the next few weeks. SO GLAD I kept that one alive after harvest! ;)

Awesome, thanks for posting! Sweet review too.

That sucks about the seeds though, part of me really just wants to buy fem seeds as I don't wanna be a number of weeks in and realize I only have males! Chances are we'll grow 3 or 4 seedings from the start if we buy regular seeds and hopefully 1 or 2 go female and stay alive and kickin'. I'll definitely check out the bank and hopefully will have better luck with my seedlings - the last thing I want is for crappy seeds to arrive at my door :p.

Thanks again for posting and congrats on a wicked harvest!

Awesome, thanks for posting! Sweet review too.

That sucks about the seeds though, part of me really just wants to buy fem seeds as I don't wanna be a number of weeks in and realize I only have males! Chances are we'll grow 3 or 4 seedings from the start if we buy regular seeds and hopefully 1 or 2 go female and stay alive and kickin'. I'll definitely check out the bank and hopefully will have better luck with my seedlings - the last thing I want is for crappy seeds to arrive at my door :p.

Thanks again for posting and congrats on a wicked harvest!

My pleasure! :thumb:

As for the seed viability issue...

That isn't indicative of that nursery, since they have a stellar rep up in Nor Cal as cutting edge botanists so I don't blame the seed bank for my problems. I blame the dispensary down here for not storing the seeds properly. Even as bad as all that, I still managed to get that gorgeous female out of the package, and the shop gave me a full refund on my $40.00 original nine seed purchase, so its all good.

I'm sure you would get at least half females from a freshly shipped pack of those BC seeds. I am stressing the Seed Bank specifically here because not everyone's Blue Cheese is the same. It varies depending on where you buy the seeds.

My pleasure! :thumb:

As for the seed viability issue...

That isn't indicative of that nursery, since they have a stellar rep up in Nor Cal as cutting edge botanists so I don't blame the seed bank for my problems. I blame the dispensary down here for not storing the seeds properly. Even as bad as all that, I still managed to get that gorgeous female out of the package, and the shop gave me a full refund on my $40.00 original nine seed purchase, so its all good.

I'm sure you would get at least half females from a freshly shipped pack of those BC seeds. I am stressing the Seed Bank specifically here because not everyone's Blue Cheese is the same. It varies depending on where you buy the seeds.

Fair enough, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah I'll have to look a bit more into seed bank rep I suppose. I think I may have settled on a purchase but I'll do some last minute research ;).

Best of luck in the POTM contest, I voted :).

I've got some Gigabud in 12/12 right now, almost zero stretch. I do clone to 12/12 and usually see a 2-3 times stretch, but these only grew a few extra inches. If you can get some clones of that strain, or purchase some seeds, I would give them a try.

If you have the ability to mother out one and do clones, you could easily do a SOG in a small space using 2 ltr bottles and this strain. I guess if you're doing a stealth grow, that isn't much of an option though. If you're in the SoCal area, you might be able to pick up a few good clones to use.

I've got some Gigabud in 12/12 right now, almost zero stretch. I do clone to 12/12 and usually see a 2-3 times stretch, but these only grew a few extra inches. If you can get some clones of that strain, or purchase some seeds, I would give them a try.

If you have the ability to mother out one and do clones, you could easily do a SOG in a small space using 2 ltr bottles and this strain. I guess if you're doing a stealth grow, that isn't much of an option though. If you're in the SoCal area, you might be able to pick up a few god clones to use.

Unfortunately I'm in Canada, so the dispensaries aren't much of an option haha. Wicked suggestion, I just looked them up and they look like they could definitely do the job, pretty fair price on most banks too.

We're definitely gonna be going from seeds at first, then resorting to clones depending on if we can re-veg or not, or depending on how many seeds we buy. Thanks for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom