Best quantum lights available?

keith1975

I've read many articles and threads and the general consensus is:
- LEDs are the future and Quantum is even better
- The Chinese Brands (Mars Hydro, Apollo 8 etc) CAN do the trick, but the most common problems are diodes burning out after a while

If quantum is the best, then that's the route i want to go. But I can't find a clear answer as to what quantum actually means. Can someone point me to a quantum light product? Something that is considered top-notch for a 2 x 2 area? Any info as to why quantum is better would also be appreciated.

Hlg bds are fantastic, or horticultural lighting group

Check there site for diy and pre made bds

Timber lights used to do QBs but don't now

All i use are QBs and wouldn't change

I'm doing a similar search... My coverage area that I'm shopping for is 7X4 so yours is a smaller scale but the lights are the same...
What I've found are that in the DIY (completely) Samsung led strips in the 3000-3500K are a very good (if you can handle wiring everything) way to go for quality/price...
HLG has some very impressive options... You can find the DIY kits on Amazon just use the whole company name (Horticultural Lighting Group) when searching... You can also buy a VERY GOOD (top shelf) setup from them that would fill a 2X2 tent with Lovely Sunshine goodness!
Fluence (SpydrX) is another top shelf product and I believe they also have options for a 2X2 area...
There are numerous Chinese brands of course as you know... The other ones that I am considering are, Perfect Sun and also... it escapes me at the moment, but I would definitely look at some of these options...
Good Luck! :passitleft:

Another couple members I know have spent a fair amount of time swimming in this particular sea of info are Graytail and Tead. VillageIdiot also knows a thing or two about lighting. As do many many others on the forum of course, but Graytail in particular comes to mind and he’s very happy with his new Q-boards

- The Chinese Brands (Mars Hydro, Apollo 8 etc) CAN do the trick, but the most common problems are diodes burning out after a while

If quantum is the best, then that's the route i want to go. But I can't find a clear answer as to what quantum actually means. Can someone point me to a quantum light product? Something that is considered top-notch for a 2 x 2 area? Any info as to why quantum is better would also be appreciated.
Hi Keith1795, all the MarsHydro lights now are upgraded chips to the SMD chips without lens, just like the ones on the Quantum boards, so there won't be any problem with led burn out. ;)

But I can't find a clear answer as to what quantum actually means

It's a brand name.

The ''thing'' is called Middle Power Diodes, which are high efficiency blue diodes with a phosphor coating that makes up the spectrum ie. 3000K.

Any info as to why quantum is better would also be appreciated.

It's about two things, firstly and most importantly it's about electrical efficiency AKA efficacy, which means how much of the energy you put into the unit is converted to light and how much is converted to heat (wasted energy).
The second thing is the wide spectrum which is less tangible, and with the level of knowledge we have about light and plants the lighting technology is way ahead of the basic how's and why's needed to use said technology properly.

Something that is considered top-notch for a 2 x 2 area?

A single board with +288 diodes is fine for 2x2, I recommend looking at Atreum, they have cheap board+heatsink combos.

Quantum is the only way I was using blurple bought a 550 3000 k qb plants love me now noticed a big difference in just a few days

Wouldn’t it be great if someone with great knowledge in this put up a complete guide and with links to wich parts one should buy.
I dont understand any of this
But I can do the wiring I just dont know what all the stuffs are and their names.

For me a dreampost would be like:

My room is 137cm * 150 cm
What should I buy?

You should buy 1 of these:
Link

And two of these :
Link

5 of these:
Link

Etc
I know, its lazy. But I have so much to read and learn that I cant fit everything in..

I hear you. I would live to tey switching to L.E.d . Been an hps loyal fan for over 20 years. I run a 2mx2m apexed tent so height and heat always been an issue with current grows. I can't find an affordable alternative to my 2 600w hps cool tubes that power my room with lots of light. Seeing all the stuff on uvb blue and reds Dec.. has made me hungry to try but as I said , alternatives would be expensive and I don't have the confidence in their ability to match my how yet.

There is definitely a lot of information on lights, you can get overwhelmed quickly! I highly recommend qbs. If you are unsure how you feel about wiring, you can order pre built kits. I say start with that, you seriously won't be disappointed. Worst case you upgrade again and have a spare backup light.

There is definitely a lot of information on lights, you can get overwhelmed quickly! I highly recommend qbs. If you are unsure how you feel about wiring, you can order pre built kits. I say start with that, you seriously won't be disappointed. Worst case you upgrade again and have a spare backup light.
I like your thinking fella. Have a few " back up buys" now too. Pumps lights ect... thanks for qb tip. It is crazy trying to work out what I would need. Always get stumped at square footage covered against cost of needing two led panels for same hps coverage I get now. Looked at mars and a goliath one a few times but still get cold feet over the coverage. Cost is also a lot more. I don't see extra heat from my cooltube set up being bad ( especially entering winter here) amd runni g costs always outweighed by harvest!. Tight budsets are an attractive proposition with my roof being a pain for height but using "tip spreading" can help that too.
Hoping to be convinced by a suppliers kindness to convert me , ( also know a lot of other covert UK growers who are stuck where I am on this issue !) and let me journal the change and results!!!. Failing that i am going to get saving.
Any particular site or thread for the diy route ??

On HLGs website they have examples and diy walkthroughs I believe. I just had my room mate follow it, he looked at it once and that was it haha.

Only problem with a diy is there are no Sponsors of QBs on this site, sooooooo, it won't fully be allowed

They also poo poo diy because soldering, power, and wire can get people hurt

I can understand their thoughts but that is why a diy how too would be useful

On HLGs website they have examples and diy walkthroughs I believe. I just had my room mate follow it, he looked at it once and that was it haha.
A lot to be said for high functioning aspergers syndrome. So many undiagnosed geniuses doing complex stuff so simply. Thanks mate will go look for it.

Horticultural lighting group is hlg
I did a Google search and found other places that sell their bds

Also China bds, same drivers and realllllllllllly cheap, may take a month delivery, but if ya got the time......

Back
Top Bottom