Best soil and nutrient/fertilizer combination to keep things simple?

Yup I love your plants.

My method isn't the best. But it allows you a fast track to the next level of growing. Immediate understanding if you care. Easy "play with me" knobs.

Not for everyone... and I don't win often truthfully. I don't grow coco. ;)

Yup I love your plants.

My method isn't the best. But it allows you a fast track to the next level of growing. Immediate understanding if you care. Easy "play with me" knobs.

Not for everyone... and I don't win often truthfully. I don't grow coco. ;)
Thanks for the help. I'll probably post my grow in the grow journal. I'm sure I'll have some issues.

I am using supersoil for the first time and am really impressed with how my plants are liking it. I added photosynthesis plus in veg and mammoth p in flower(still have 3-4 weeks left my grow is in my signature) and I add unsulphured molasses. I will be doing a compost tea for my next grow but have starting a banana peel compost tea to try for the rest of my grow. Take it easy

So steer manure is special and they sell it both ways. Both work.

The precomposted is just super awesome stuff. It is mixed with some wood shavings ussually and is ready to rock immediately.

Composted is really fantastic but yes very hot. Hence thinning...the real point is take this idea of mixing and blending base materials and make one you like.

The problem with steer manure is people don't thin it and then say it burns. Well organics doesn't stop you from overdoing it.

I over do it and said repeatedly this rides the line just over. As most people like it.

We are responsible to manage our live soils. It is easy, you just add sugar water but we have to set it up for success.

I have not used that product. I have been using the same stuff for manure from home depot since the 90s as it aint broke so I don't fix it. The thing is I think it is 4 bucks a bag now but when I started it was $2.99 and man that hooked me hard.

Now that we are talking cold plug hot plug and layered soils. This is how you dial in and Perfect the soil grow.

Bellow are 2 males I pulled at about day 42. If you look close you can see a massive difference on the roots in the compost vs. the the 3 part cheater up top.

You can dial in when the plant hits the compost...or repot. Hitting soils too hot too soon is easily dooable... but you can dial a soil grow.

And I reclaimed a few worms...I grow with worms too when I remember. So I don't want chemicals. My soil has pets.

I’m just a beginner, still learning the basics but I had a very successful grow in the spring indoors using only Black Gold soil. The drainage is very good. Plants in 5 gallon pots, watering every 3 - 4 days.

I did use organic seedling soil to get them started in a jiffy pot.

Using Nutrients-Plus nutrients, A & B Veg and A & B bloom. PH holding at 6.5 using this setup.
I only added a bud booster once the buds were about an inch long.

I am on my second grow using the above setup, so far no problems with PH or nutrient deficiency that I can see.

Happy Growing :green_heart:

I would recommend large pots (7 gallons if your back can take it) of just regular Fox Farms Happy Frog, and use General Hydroponic's Flora Nova Bloom through the entire life-cycle--it has enough nitrogen in it for the growth period, so no sense buying the "Grow" formula.

Beyond that, just get a cheap pH test kit. The ones with the liquid drops and color indicators work well and are pretty cheap.

Personally I think that's the simplest, cheapest and easiest way to go about it.
I would agree. My girls just love 3 gallon plastic pots with Fox Farms Happy Frog. I use 1/2 solution the first month of veg. Full strength nutes in flower General Hydroponic Flora, Micro and Bloom. Works for NASA good enough for me. My 2 cents. Good genetics are a must.

I use all kinds of pots. They all have different uses.

I like plastic for doing grows where I want to water very infrequently. Many people think the easiest wat to grow is in a no drain compost blend so that you water very infrequently. But you have to dial that in. My understanding the biggest Oregon indoor grow is no drain in totes.

Fabric pots are great for beginners because you can dry out the soil fast if you over water.

The size is really more to do with method.

If growing large root balls you fix many problems and make things easy on yourself. Rule of thumb is 1 gallon per month. That is simply too small for me. The 2 I showed yesterday were I think in 10 gallons and at 42 day in a tent plus a few outside it was almost ready to repot. But you can grow well on small root balls...just not really the point of veg. The whole point of veg really is building a monster root ball for the flowers.

I would never grow a seed in under a 5 gallon pot in the end as seeds grow more roots per pound flower. Maybe start in a 3 and repot later...that is what I am actually doing right now is 3 gallons with the plan to repot at bloom.

3 gallons are also great for fast turn clones going right into bloom.

For monster SCROGs I like 20 gallon pots or more depending on the size of the SCROG.

So...one thing I carried over from farming and fast growing is I clone and veg, then bloom. These are different activities.

Clone a bunch...way more than you can use...they are free.

Veg 150% of what you can bloom in small containers.

Repot the best plants for bloom. A pile of small 3 gallon veg pots is simple and cheap and you always have the best plants going into bloom. No messing around. Dump the bad ones and move on.

Fruit farmers like pears or peaches leave the bulk in the field. They sell the best.

Clones in recycled soils are "free".

The thing with pots is I typically will error on the side of too big to allow for monster root balls...as shown yesterday. I need closer to about a gallon a week...If I veg 6 weeks I want not less than a 7.5 gallon and will likely just grab a 10. Deep in bloom the roots stop growing...hence rule of thumb over the whole grow.

But I can fill, in hard veg, a gallon a week. As shown yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom