Best strain for insomnia

I looked over a few of the new monthly contest prizes earlier and this stood out.;)
An autoflowering version of the famous Chemdog, by new Potm sponsor Auto Seeds.
Thanks @AutoSeeds :ganjamon:Forgive the shameless Plug.
I think it fulfills the request nicely. :high-five:

Hi, just wondering what strain of cannabis helps you relax and then get a good night sleep.
I've used Royale Haze & Amnesia Kush for my amnesia. I can't stand the couch lock of heavy indicas & the relaxing finish of those knocks me out... Everyone's different, I tend to be very THC sensitive, so a 5 minute vape is enough for me.
I am also growing a Blueberry auto, I can't wait to try that when the premature branch I picked last week is ready. :D

I too am still looking for that magic sleeping strain. I have some that work but not all the time. Strains only seem to work well for me over night wise for like 2-3 days max and then I need a new strain to hopefully do the same. So my top 5 that seem to work for me

Black Domina - Sensi Seeds
Purple Bud - White Label
Purple Urkle - (growing from ApeOrigin)
Death Star - (would love to grow this)
MK Ultra - T.H. Seeds (growing auto of it right now)

Gorilla Zkittlez from Barney’s Farm isn’t that bad either

Grow a heavy Indica strain and do not harvest until trichomes have almost all turned amber. Thc needs to degrade and will change to CBN. Old harvested cannabis/ thc will also degrade and turn to CBN. CBN will def help with sleep...

Oh yeah and I almost forgot... F*ck pharmaceuticals!!! Cannabis is way safer. I've been using cannabis for insomnia for the last three years and it works. If you need to be discreet you can try edibles.

Unfortunately, my wife doesn't know that I use cannabis, so when I had problems with insomnia, smoking weed was not possible for me. But I was able to use Teva 74, which is a sedative, anxiolytics, and hypnotics. These pills calmed me more than smoking, for real. If some of you will need something stronger to get them to sleep, try it, I'm sure you'll enjoy his effects. On https://worldpharm365.com you can find more about it.
I have both insomnia and sleep apnea I was using Zolpidem 10 mg everynight for over 4 years could not sleep without it. It is addictive! and makes me feel like crap in the mornings. The weird thing is I got used to feeling that way and started thinking it was normal to feel that way not a good thing. I started started smoking weed again after stopping 5 years previous to try and get off the sleeping pills it worked great for me. I now eat some edibles 2 hours before bedtime and vaping or joints and falling asleep is much easier. Still struggling with sleep apnea. My point is be very careful with sleeping pills it's a very slippery slope.

On occasion my mind just can't shut off at night. Rare for me, maybe 5 or 6 times a year. However, my wife has a really whacked out circadian rhythm from time to time. Mostly self inflicted. lol

- Granddaddy Purple
- Big Bug
- 9 Pound Hammer
- Money Maker

All the above have been quite effective at getting over that hurdle and getting some z's.

Insomnia can be a weird/interesting thing. The root cause can vary so vast that nailing down to any one strain can be difficult. The question is why can't one sleep. Pills are terrible at this, and simply mask the issue and just knock you out. Not to mention they can be addictive, and slow your respiratory systems down. People overdose on them frequently. Sometime intentional, sometimes not. Pills are terrible.

If one suffers from insomnia frequently, the root cause needs to be found. After time you can get into a jacked up cycle, spin down the rabbit hole, and next thing you know you're catching a couple hours here and there when you just pass out from exhaustion.

Is you mind racing with thoughts? Are you anxious/nervous/upset over something? Do you just have so much energy built up that you could give a 6yr old a run for their money in a hyper contest?

Some things to help:

1) Schedule: Maintain as routine of a schedule as possible. If you're exhausted, get home from work and take a 2hr nap, and wonder why 3 hours later you're wide awake... well, there ya go. When my wife starts fighting this, she ends up in the nap world. Then wonders why she can't get to sleep until 4am, with only 2 hours until the alarm.

2) Lighting: This may be a foreign concept to some, but not only lighting brightnes, but color can have an impact on your sleep. Think about the sun and evolution for a minute. The sun has waken and put to bed many a human and our ancestors for 10's of thousands of years. Daylight is perceived as different colors at different times during the day. This is telling our bodies through visual cues that it's time to prepare for rest.

We can recreate some of this in our homes, and an easy way to do so is via smart lighting. Phillips makes an excellent smart lighting system called Hue. I cannot recommend it enough, and for many reasons. Here's the short version of it though. I have some lights that are Hue, but not all. The ones that I'm referring to are 2 lamps and a can light in the living room, a can light in the kitchen, a lamp and a light strip in my bedroom. I have a lighting schedule set for lights to come on before dusk a decent bit. They come on at more of a daylight color, but with a slightly warmer tone mixed in. Around 8:30ish, they dim a bit, and turn an even warmer, relaxing color. Finally, about 10 or shortly after, they dim to about 20% and get really, really, warm. Effectively recreating that color change like with the sunset. It's quite relaxing, and definitely helps.

This setup is also good for those with migraines. Being able to change lighting colors and dim/tone them down is a big help. Not only for the person with the migraine, but also for others in the house as they don't have to fumble around in the dark. :D My wife also gets migraines. If it's dark out, we can tune the lights to certain color temps when she feels one coming on, and it helps ease the severity of them, if not helping keep it at bay entirely. You have to catch it early on though, and not very effective if it's daytime (for obvious reasons.)

3) Strain Selection: This is back to what I mentioned earlier. Knowing why you can't sleep. At least to an extent or what type of sleepless symptoms you have. But why? Can't you just knock yourself out and get on with it? Think of it this way, if you're mind is racing and the thoughts just won't turn off, do you really want to hit a strain that will boost creativity or thoughts? If you're having trouble sleeping because X, Y, or Z hurts, do you want a strain with little pain power? If you're just so full of energy that you can't settle down, do you want an energetic strain?

This, IMO, is a big reason why you can't have just one strain for insomnia. Now maybe it's the same most of the time for someone, so having more of a strain for that can work of course. But if you can get a feeling for maybe what the big symptom is for your sleeplessness, then you can better select a strain to handle it.

So anyway, the strains listed early in this post work for both of us, depending on the issue at hand. Sometimes a few puffs of more than one works too. All are lovely strains, and definitely worth a look. (And yes, getting original KDP seeds is worth the cost.)

What MV said is totally correct. Going to sleep is one thing, staying asleep? I found smoking many indicas would either
A. Make me so cotton mouth I woke up thirsty and would get up and drink water then wake up to piss.? Or
B not control my neck and shoulder pain

Some hybrids would make my mind race or make my body so aware every thing itched.
So...I began to develop a ritual.
1. Slow down about an hour before bed.
2. Drink water and eat fruit for dinner
3. Smoke a pain killer strain. I use island sweet skunk or another generic sweet skunk
4. Light candle and put it on my bedside, I prefer the wood wick ones with a lid
5. Take a shower and moisturize with hemp based lotions and potions
6. Turn off all lighting and put on soothing music. I recommend the Grateful Dead jams only from YouTube or some pseudo Native American flute music
Smoke a little more, perhaps an indica like a purple kush or afghan. Laydown and be sure you are warm and comfy, don't Read...
After you feel yourself going it helps if the music is on a timer...reach over and turn off music if needed and snuff the candle. I prefer to have a bottle of water or fruit juice by the bed just in case I need a drink and don't have to get out of bed to go get it! My bedroommust be 100% dark.

6. Turn off all lighting and put on soothing music. I recommend the Grateful Dead jams only from YouTube or some pseudo Native American flute music

Ha! I have a sleep machine app on my phone that I run all night. Made a mix of rain/thunder, crickets, frogs, and put a light NA flute into it. Works great. Very relaxing.

After you feel yourself going it helps if the music is on a timer...reach over and turn off music if needed and snuff the candle. I prefer to have a bottle of water or fruit juice by the bed just in case I need a drink and don't have to get out of bed to go get it! My bedroommust be 100% dark.

I will run the TV a bit. Catch the news, little bit of Fallon, catch a puff if needed for whatever, and then set the sleep timer for a little background noise. Not what the experts recommend, but it works for me. Secret is having the noise, but not the light, and putting it on something you're not going to actively pay attention to. For me, Frasier works really well. I've seen it so much, it's something my mind can disengage from. I also use a sleep mask, which is a bit foreign to me. I have good ones, they have indentations for your eyes and were like $10 on amazon for 4, and use one for redeye flights. Well a couple months ago I started using one every night. Definitely something I should have done much sooner than I did. They help much more at blocking light than you would think (especially when the sun comes up way too early) and really can help you get better z's.

Haha..we usually try to watch the news ....wife wants to see the weather but goes to sleep before the weather comes on . They start talking about it and I look over...shes gone.
We don't watch news but my wife is out by 9:30 every night . We watch Netflix and by 9:30 she is out but then wakes up through out the night. She hates the smell and taste of cannabis I let her try a small piece of brownie and it didn't turn out good she said I will Never try that crap again . I get couch lock easy so most strains make me relaxed .

Following this thread. Apologies I know we are a sponsor but we know someone working with us that can benefit from this.

Back
Top Bottom