Big Buddha Auto Flowering Feminized Closet Grow

TrustMeImaDr

Hey all,

This is my third grow but the first one that is well-researched and funded. I'll go through all the initial specifics in this entry and then will follow up with the grow in subsequent entries.

I'm using Big Buddha Automatic Feminized seeds because I didn't want to sex the plants and throw out half of my crop. I also wanted something that would give me a quicker harvest and I liked that there is no separate light cycle from vegetative growth to flower. They grow from seed to harvest under the same light cycle in about 60 days.

According to the UK seed bank I ordered them from "Big Buddha’s Automatic is the next generation of autoflowering strains bred with the intention of more stability and vigor as well as flavour and a taste that the 1st generation of autoflowering strains never had. Big Buddha’s ‘Automatic’ is one of the easiest to grow autoflowering plants in the world….. it will astound you with its ‘cotton candy stick’ structure & amazing ‘sticky marijuana resin’ glistening on its flower tops.
With its short height and extremely ‘sea of green’ structure, Big Buddha’s ‘Automatic’ is extremely low maintenance, they really are ‘throw and grow’ seeds."

Indoor / Outdoor:Suitable for indoor and outdoor growing
Plant Type: Indica/Sativa mix
Stoned or High: Very uplifting High, No Ceiling, Clear, Long-lasting.
Flowering Weeks: 7-9 from seed to harvest
Grow difficulty: Easy (Good for beginners)

IMG_20110420_105949.jpg

Next I decided on using a 2'x4' 4-tube 5T high lumen output florescent grow light because it is (supposedly) energy efficient (we'll see once when the next electric bill comes). I have two 6500k bulbs (placed in the outer two sockets) and two 3000k bulbs (placed in the inner two sockets).

IMG_20110425_102844.jpg

I'm using Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting mix because the 4 gallon containers that I'm using do not have drain holes. I decided against drain holes because it's an indoor grow and I want to minimize possible water damage to my floors. The containers have a couple of inches of sterilized pea gravel in the bottom and then the potting soil.

IMG_20110425_120040.jpg

Overall I've spent about $300, around $80 for the seeds and then about $225 for everything else, including 2mm thick mylar film which I have up on the walls, door and beneath the containers, a lock, digital timer, and light proofing supplies. I'm sure that if I didn't live in one of the largest cities in the country my cost for supplies would have been less.

It is now 10 days since I started the process. I soaked all 5 Big Buddha Auto feminized seeds for 24 hours in a glass of water. After that I placed them on a plate between wet paper towel, covered it with saran wrap and placed next to the furnace. 24 hours after that and all 5 seeds had germinated. I moved them to jiffy pellets to root. They grew in the pellets in the front window for three days (until 4/25). At this point they had all sprouted so I transplanted them into the individual containers and moved them into a 20/4 light cycle.

It is now 10 days since I started the process. I soaked all 5 Big Buddha Auto feminized seeds for 24 hours in a glass of water. After that I placed them on a plate between wet paper towel, covered it with saran wrap and placed next to the furnace. 24 hours after that and all 5 seeds had germinated. I moved them to jiffy pellets to root. They grew in the pellets in the front window for three days (until 4/25). At this point they had all sprouted so I transplanted them into the individual containers and moved them into a 20/4 light cycle.

Now we're at day 10 from seed package and the girls are coming along nicely. The most growth has taken place in the past 48 hrs. I've named them all after famous ancient Buddhist women.

Nanda the fair (sorry she's upside down):
IMG_20110430_2043431.jpg

Sukka:
IMG_20110430_2051491.jpg

Khema:
IMG_20110430_2045471.jpg

Anula:
IMG_20110430_2054491.jpg

Visakha:
IMG_20110430_2101301.jpg

Here are two pictures of the girl's room

Side view:
IMG_20110430_212245.jpg

Top view:
IMG_20110430_212325.jpg

Here are two pictures of the girl's room

Side view:
IMG_20110430_212245.jpg

Top view:
IMG_20110430_212325.jpg

thx Joe....I am concerned about the roots, and may still end up drilling a drain hole and placing the pots in plastic catch pans

Hey all,

sorry that I have been MIA since my original posts, I've been busy and just haven't had time to post. I'll try to catch up with a couple of posts today.

After ChicagoJoe's post re: the lack of drainage in my pots I held back with the watering in an attempt to avoid water pooling in the bottom. The soil itself felt damp but apparently that wasn't enough because two of the girls (Visakha & Anula) became heat stressed, a third (Khema) was also had a few leaves that were stressed. So I drilled 5 holes in the bottom of each container and placed them in plastic trays to catch the runoff.

The pictures below are from day 20 from seed (day 18 from germination or day 16 from sprout)

Visakha
IMG_20110509_154245.jpg

Anula
IMG_20110509_154327.jpg

Sukka
IMG_20110509_154434.jpg

Khema
IMG_20110509_154507.jpg

Nanda the Fair
IMG_20110509_154204.jpg

The following pictures are from day 30 from seed. The two plants that were heat stressed (Visakha & Anula) are stunted and have been growing significantly slower than the other three plants. I also decided to remove several of the fan leafs from these two plants bc they were looking worse every day. I took off 6 leaves from Visakha and 2 from Anula.

Visakha
IMG_20110516_092440.jpg

Anula
IMG_20110516_092511.jpg

The other three girls are growing like crazy. I have had to raise the lights every day for the past week. In addition they have a very strong musky scent. At first it was just when I opened then door but you can now smell it in the next room too.

Sukka
IMG_20110516_092135.jpg

Khema
IMG_20110516_092247.jpg

Nanda the Fair
IMG_20110516_092408.jpg

I'd love to hear your feedback and input - thanks!

Hey Dr.

Looking just fine!

Quick questions... is the cardboard behind the plants just to kill the reflection to take the pics?
Are you going to do any training (LST, etc), or let them run their natural height?
What is your current light cycle (20/4, 18/6...)?

As important as good drainage is, also be sure to let the soil dry out a bit between waterings. I learned that one the hard way.

If they are showing heat stress, try adding more ventilation to being in cooler air, or you may need to raise you lights up a bit. Heat stress is from heat, not under watering (usually)

Once they are a little bigger & more hearty, they handle heat a little bit better, but it's something to keep an eye on.

I look forward to tagging along for this one!

looking a the pics and seeing how the edges of the leaves are turning up leads me to believe there's more than heat stress going on.

read up on the plant stress chart thread that eludes me now.

looking a the pics and seeing how the edges of the leaves are turning up leads me to believe there's more than heat stress going on.

read up on the plant stress chart thread that eludes me now.

Hey Joe,

I thought that at first as well, but after lots of research and referencing Cervantes Marijuana Horticulture, "leaf fringes that point up mean the leaf is trying to dissipate as much moisture as possible, but is unable to due to lack of water or heat stress." My lights were really close to the plants and I think that I was underwatering. Now the new leafs do not curl up and they are growing like weeds with their current water schedule.

I'm going to keep watching them and see how they continue to do.

Quick questions... is the cardboard behind the plants just to kill the reflection to take the pics?
Are you going to do any training (LST, etc), or let them run their natural height?
What is your current light cycle (20/4, 18/6...)?

Hey Endive,

thanks for the reply,

1. Yes, the cardboard is to kill the reflection - I was seeing my smiling face in each picture.

2. no training I'm just going to let them grow to their natural height. I have lots of vertical space.

3. My light cycle is 20/4, which is what I think I'll leave them on.

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom