Big Buddha Cheese

gr865

Well time to start another grow, this time it's again a vertical grow with Big Buddha Cheese, 8/18.
Started 7 seeds in water for 36 hrs then into paper towels for another 24 plus hours, then into coco solo's.
It only took a day for three of the solo's to pop and another day for the forth, but nothing since. I just put 3 more seeds soaking and then into paper towels. Hope to put them into coco solo's in the morning.
Normally I get 90 plus % germ, not sure what I will get with this, but hate having to plant 10 seeds to get at least 5 up.

20180826_101022.jpg
20180826_101112.jpg

I am so ready for this grow, hope to get enough to make a good batch of FECO.

GR

Not a happy camper at present.
Out of 10 seeds, only 4 have pop'ed, not a good thing. But will give them a few more days.
Going to go ahead and start a couple of seeds from a different strain, not sure which one yet, have to dig into my seed stash. Will have one plant at least three weeks behind the others.

Here we are 14 days in, starting their 3rd and 4th sets of leaves, except for the two that just pop'ed a few days ago. They are beginning to yellow a bit so I gave the 4 that are showing signs of N def.
0.72 EC, that's 1 ml Cal/Magic, .75 grams Epsom, 1 ml Root Excl.Gold, 1 ml Canna A&B and pH'ed to 5.81.
The two that just pop'ed earlier this week got a drench of pH'ed Cal/Magic,and Roots Gold, will get this till the 3rd leaf stage.
Letting the 6 that are up dry fairly well prior to watering, working on the root system.

Just took a better look, got a bit of Cal/Mag def., glad it hit them with Cal/Magic and Epson today.

GR

Getting some growth on, early plants are showing signs of Cal/Mag def., did a good heavy DTW so all should be ok.
20180904_085619 (2).jpg

The two newest ones will get their first feeding today, again very light, 0.7 EC.

Still under the T5's and doing well. Cal/Mag deficiency is taken care of and growth is doing well.

Can still see a bit of deficiency on the lower leaves of the bigger plants, but all is OK.
Roots checked yesterday, filling in nicely, will get pics soon. Hope to transplant next week into their final growing pots, 2 gallon Smart Pots in coco.
Time to start getting the tent ready, everything has been cleaned and sanitized, drip system ready to set back up. Considering moving the main rez to a lower position and attempt to reduce the amount of drainage upon system shutdown.
O.68 EC, all plants, and a pH of 5.84, watered yesterday and expect to be watering every other day or so. With the root growth I am seeing it won't be a couple of days before beginning daily watering's until I transplant the start the rooting game all over to fill the smart pots.

GR

Checked the roots in the Solo cups this AM and will be transplanting into their final pots today.
This is one of the two plants that are about a week behind the other three.

Still debating the two or three gallon Smart Pots, my main hesitation is the amount of solution that will be used comparing the two sizes. I don't want to have to be filling the rez daily and going to the three gallon pots will increase my nute solution usage by 0.5%.
I do plan on increasing the size of my rez and moving it to where it will be on a more level plane with the plants, so that should reduce the additional solution draining from the mainline into the pots. If I can get better control over my solution distribution I think I can get by with the 3 gallon. I would sure like to have the extra root space.

GR

As stated on Friday and after reviewing the roots in the Solo's, I transplanted today but went up to a 3 gallon Smart Pot. Have 6 plants to choose from to get my 5 needed for the vertical grow.
This is the process.
i place an empty Solo in the transplant pot, water with low nute and pH'ed solution to set the coco and then remove the Solo. This is what is looks like with the cup removed.

Then we remove the seedling from it Solo cup and place it in the hole in the coco. Works great, treat the hole prior to putting in the seedling with Great White. Then they are drenched again with a low EC and pH'ed solution.

Here they are back in the tent and placed under the 315 CMH for the first time, at 23 inches light to plant.

Will be placing either clay pellets, Grow Stone or course Perlite on the surface to prevent both the coco moving during watering's and fungal gnat control.

Am hoping that increasing the pot size does not come back to bite me in the butt. Going to have to do a little redesign on my screens but should not be that big an issue. Main thing I am concerned about the amount of nute solution I will be using and the increased weight, having to move the plants in and out to work tying them back to the screens.
Let's do this!

GR

Just a little update, not much going on, did the second watering of the transplants on Thursday @ 0.8EC and 5.82 pH. Got some good solid growth and good color.
20180914_125634 (2).jpg
20180914_125641 (2).jpg

It has been 27 days since they first went into a jar of mild pH'ed nute solution to soak for 36 hrs prior to putting them on paper towels to germinate. It has been 4 days since transplanting into these 3 gallon Smart Pots and putting a single 315W CMH on them. They are definitely Indica dominate.

Just for a reference point here is a pic from transplanting day on 9/10.
20180910_145026 (2).jpg

I will be adding a bit more coco to the pots and then top them off with about an
1 1/2" of Grow Stones (the spun glass product) to discourage Fungal Gnats, the little bastards.
20180914_142834 (2).jpg

I am also redoing my drip rings for the pots. Have ordered the parts and going have it all ready to go by next weekend, when I hope to put the system together.

Till next post,

GR:peace:

So OK I am impressed.
I transplanted on Monday 9/10 into the three gallon Smart Pots from the Solo cups, gave them a good watering with nute solution. Did another watering with solution on Thursday evening. This morning Saturday 9/15,
20180915_110030 (2).jpg
20180915_110048 (2).jpg

I have become a big fan of Great White, they will be getting another watering tonight or in the morning. Getting them roots thick in the pots for max growth.

Today I removed the plants from the tent, got it ready for my drip system, supported the frame/tray, raised the back of the frame just a touch to get the liquids to flow forward. Do not have the drainage hooked up yet, so just removing the liquids with a shop vac.
20180916_103239.jpg
20180916_132449.jpg
20180916_132459.jpg

Once every thing was support, cleaned and put back into the tent, did a good watering to about 30% runoff. 0.85 EC and 5.83 pH. Will start increasing the EC later this week.
Notice, until I am ready to go vertical I slant the lights a tad, gives better coverage I believe.

Weekly Update! Days 6 since transplant.

I added the second light, note that I tilt the lamp at this point, feel I get better coverage. Will keep this configuration until I set the lights up for vertical, should be about 4 weeks or so, dependent of growth.

Getting very good growth now, gave them a good soak last night, to about 30 plus % runoff. This week I will be working on setting up the drip system, new parts should be here today.
Trying something a little different to the system on this run. Will explain when I set it up and see if it works.

This pic was taken on 9/10
20180910_145032-3-jpg.1612441

And 6 days later 9/16
20180916_210405-3-jpg.1612442

Just a note, when I added the second lamp temps rose from 78 degrees to 83 degrees. I increased the speed of the Max Fan and have that temp on the high side down to 81 degrees. Have not started using the AC unit as of yet.

Happy Bday to y'all!

Today they are one month since the start of germination on 8/18.
Here the 4 that initally germ'ed. This was day 8 since start of germ.
8/26
20180826_101022.jpg

And today, their one month Bday. 22 Days since the picture above.
20180918_105229 (2).jpg

Hey gr nice to see you're just starting this one up, I wanna follow from the start. I've been checking out your vertical scrog setups for a while and think they're cool so I wanna pay attention to the from-start-to-finish aspect of it.

Were did you get those black wire frame stands for your pots by the way? I've just been propping mine up on little plastic dish trays, but they're a little small for my pots.

So are you doing a side-by-side comparison between coco and perlite? I'm not I saw why you were using different mediums. I thought about switching to pure perlite this go around, but ended up going with Happy Frog since the local farm store had it for like $11 a bag and I've used it a lot. Cheap and no surprises.

@ TheFertilizer,

Do you mean this?
20160711_092506.jpg

Just some wire I use in my biz, scraps.

I also use these when not on the screens.
20180921_101636.jpg

So, I water this past Tuesday @ 0.9 EC and sucked up the excess 30+% in my Shop Vac. Wed. morning I checked the runoff in my vac and it was so high I could not get a reading. I made the decision to do a heavy flush on my next watering which was yesterday, Friday. I flushed with 15 gallon of solution, 0.6 EC and pH of 5.83. I then started checking each 5 gallons of flush and the reading dropped from whatever X was to just under 1.0 EC but the pH was also off at 6.3.
I noticed during the days between that last watering on Tuesday that I was getting some nutrient tip curl and the leaves turned dark green, so I knew I had an issue. They are looking better this morning.
I am having difficulty understanding what happened. When I first put the coco in the 3 gallon Smart Pots I flushed the pots with around 20 gallons of low EC and pH'ed solution. The final read after the last of the flush was 0.88 EC and a pH of 5.81.
Now this is was the forth watering since they went into the SP's, all have been below 1.0 EC and all pH'ed at ~ 5.8. I am a bit confused as to why this happened but don't think it to be a long term problem.

So, I water this past Tuesday @ 0.9 EC and sucked up the excess 30+% in my Shop Vac. Wed. morning I checked the runoff in my vac and it was so high I could not get a reading. I made the decision to do a heavy flush on my next watering which was yesterday, Friday. I flushed with 15 gallon of solution, 0.6 EC and pH of 5.83. I then started checking each 5 gallons of flush and the reading dropped from whatever X was to just under 1.0 EC but the pH was also off at 6.3.
I noticed during the days between that last watering on Tuesday that I was getting some nutrient tip curl and the leaves turned dark green, so I knew I had an issue. They are looking better this morning.
I am having difficulty understanding what happened. When I first put the coco in the 3 gallon Smart Pots I flushed the pots with around 20 gallons of low EC and pH'ed solution. The final read after the last of the flush was 0.88 EC and a pH of 5.81.
Now this is was the forth watering since they went into the SP's, all have been below 1.0 EC and all pH'ed at ~ 5.8. I am a bit confused as to why this happened but don't think it to be a long term problem.
looking good gr nice set up ill take a seat here and follow your vertical grow see what you get ill be back!:)

Back
Top Bottom