Big Head - Dead Head OG Heavy Yield!

Plant is a beauty! How long until chop?

RIGHT NOW ..
they just whent past there due date (8 weeks) the guy i got them from always chops at 8 weeks...... and i can imagine that he is lossing out on sooo much yeild/potency lol theses girls are JUST geting cloudy and frostin up, im watching the trichs dayly just get milky'er. waiting to see that amber!! hoping she is done by end of week or by next week.

Had some bud that i too off lower branches and dryed, they were taken a week or so ago, so they are not covered in trichs and is very earthy, (probly becasue it didnt flush seeing it was still on fed schedule. . . basicly i wanted to see/taste/smell tree that had been taken before its prime, that way when im purchasing from a club/cargiver/extra then i know if they were being quick on the draw, plus it should get me lil high lol i like to mix my lower grade cronic with a smaller nug of bomb shit, and makes my bomb stuff last longer! : P

here is a 3 day difrence, trimed fan leafs up and watered lol big change, last week has given me alot o wieght !

image_323.jpeg
image_231.jpeg

Do you notice by doing a almost total defoliation before harvest a flushing type effect on the final dried product? I read somewhere by doing that the plant will pull more of the nutes out of the flowers since there is no leaves. I ask because I need to flush more and I am, this round which will be done in say 10-15 days is getting a two week flush instaed of one. I had a complaint that the dried cured meds were popping like a road flare. So thanks to the persons honesty I ought to end up with better, smoother meds soon.
Thanks bro and the plants look great
Reps bro

Do you notice by doing a almost total defoliation before harvest a flushing type effect on the final dried product? I read somewhere by doing that the plant will pull more of the nutes out of the flowers since there is no leaves. I ask because I need to flush more and I am, this round which will be done in say 10-15 days is getting a two week flush instaed of one. I had a complaint that the dried cured meds were popping like a road flare. So thanks to the persons honesty I ought to end up with better, smoother meds soon.
Thanks bro and the plants look great
Reps bro

Good question man, the plant doesnt TAKE nutes from the flowers, it pushes it to the flower. The reason u see leafs die off because i is using the nutes for the flower, reson i take the fan leafs off before my last feed is because i want it to not store the nutes in cloraphyl in the fan leafs, but to push it into new growth of fan leafs, dencining of buds and so on. Last weekor to u want to JUST give phed water so that your plant can use up all availble nutes that are in the soil, this is what makes your plant not "crackle and pop" because it isnt full of nutreints u dont want, u want the plant to break down the nutrients in to lypids, tricks, cloraphyl so on, typed this all on phone so exuse the typos and broken english if any hahaha

Here is a quote from someone who was talking about nutes and how the plant uses them, thought it was helpfull : )
Here is a simplified overview of nutrient functions:

Nitrogen is needed to build chlorophyll, amino acids, and proteins. Phosphorus is necessary for photosynthesis and other growth processes. Potassium is utilized to form sugar and starch and to activate enzymes. Magnesium also plays a role in activating enzymes and is part of chlorophyll. Calcium is used during cell growth and division and is part of the cell wall. Sulfur is part of amino acids and proteins.

Plants also require trace elements, which include boron, chlorine, copper, iron, manganese, sodium, zinc, molybdenum, nickel, cobalt, and silicon.

Copper, iron, and manganese are used in photosynthesis. Molybdenum, nickel, and cobalt are necessary for the movement of nitrogen in the plant. Boron is important for reproduction, while chlorine stimulates root growth and development. Sodium benefits the movement of water within the plant and zinc is neeeded for enzymes and used in auxins (organic plant hormones). Finally, silicon helps to build tough cell walls for better heat and drought tolerance.

You can get an idea from this how closely all the essential elements are involved in the many metabolic processes within the plant, often relying on each other.

Nutrient movement and mobility inside the plant:

Besides endocytosis, there are two major pathways inside the plant, the xylem and the phloem. When water and minerals are absorbed by plant roots, these substances must be transported up to the plant's stems and leaves for photosynthesis and further metabolic processes. This upward transport happens in the xylem. While the xylem is able to transport organic compounds, the phloem is much more adapted to do so.

The organic compounds thus originating in the leaves have to be moved throughout the plant, upwards and downwards, to where they are needed. This transport happens in the phloem. Compounds that are moving through the phloem are mostly:
Sugars as sugary saps, organic nitrogen compounds (amino acids and amides, ureides and legumes), hormones and proteins.

Not all nutrient compounds are moveable within the plant.

1) N, P, K, Mg and S are considered mobile: they can move up and down the plant in both xylem and phloem.
Deficiency appears on old leaves first.

2) Ca, Fe, Zn, Mo, B, Cu, Mn are considered immobile: they only move up the plant in the xylem.

Biggest way to avoid cracking, popping and poor taste is a proper dry and cure. Flushing has less to do with this than you might think, and is a bit over-rated IMO. I'm not saying "don't flush", but the secret sauce is drying and curing. If they are dried too quickly, chlorophyll gets locked in, etc. I've had to pull plants unexpectedly with little to no flush, but still had smooth, great taste due to proper dry and cure. Best to do both (flush, and proper dry/cure), but that's been my experience personally.

Nice post on nutrient usage/movement within the plant jlt... :thumb:

Thanks lol i always learn back wards when it comes to fixing a issue. Like if a mechanical part has a issue i try to find out how it works so i can fix or prevent issues, same with my plants i learn as much as i can about how the plants likes its medicine and wat not lol just when i find something i just toss it on my page or on my info tool pages : )

here is a 3 day difrence, trimed fan leafs up and watered lol big change, last week has given me alot o wieght !

image_323.jpeg
image_231.jpeg

say heavy yield one more time! im going to start lsting and see if i can get over my average 30 grams per plant.

say heavy yield one more time! im going to start lsting and see if i can get over my average 30 grams per plant.

im looking to get almost a pound per plant on the dead head, the pic u linked was of the smaller plants ; P

i can tell you plants that have not been flushed long enough will pop and crackle and taste like leaf and nutrients.

Are you sure? I've never been a flusher :biglaugh:
I've had lots of great smoke. Sometimes it is harsher than others, but I don't think it was the flush since I never really did one.

Biggest way to avoid cracking, popping and poor taste is a proper dry and cure. Flushing has less to do with this than you might think, and is a bit over-rated IMO. I'm not saying "don't flush", but the secret sauce is drying and curing. If they are dried too quickly, chlorophyll gets locked in, etc. I've had to pull plants unexpectedly with little to no flush, but still had smooth, great taste due to proper dry and cure. Best to do both (flush, and proper dry/cure), but that's been my experience personally.

That makes sense. It explains my experience although I never made the connection with the cure. I always attributed it somewhat to strain or environmental variation. I guess I was right about the environmental part, but the curing environment more than the growing enviro. :winkyface:

Come to think of it, I think it was my early harvests that were the worst. I think I got better at curing as I got better at growing too. I know I didn't start out harvesting the same way I do now. I guess I improved that technique along the way too. :)

Funny I was just talking about flushing on another thread. I'm planning to give it a try on this round. I used to just taper off the nute strength to about 1/4. This time I'll try running just phed water for ~10 days.

Are you sure? I've never been a flusher :biglaugh:
I've had lots of great smoke. Sometimes it is harsher than others, but I don't think it was the flush since I never really did one.

That makes sense. It explains my experience although I never made the connection with the cure. I always attributed it somewhat to strain or environmental variation. I guess I was right about the environmental part, but the curing environment more than the growing enviro. :winkyface:

Come to think of it, I think it was my early harvests that were the worst. I think I got better at curing as I got better at growing too. I know I didn't start out harvesting the same way I do now. I guess I improved that technique along the way too. :)

Funny I was just talking about flushing on another thread. I'm planning to give it a try on this round. I used to just taper off the nute strength to about 1/4. This time I'll try running just phed water for ~10 days.

well hiker you get a lil preview here haha iv been only giving them ph'ed water for week now there just about done, last 3 days im going to "JLTFLUSH" them lol (i just water till they fill the drip pan) every day for 3 days while they are in full dark 24 ; P we will se how well that works ; )

I think it's different for hydro and soil/soiless. I did stop feeding my soiless plants a couple weeks before I harvested, but when I switched to hydro, I basically fed to the end. It seems like the plants react faster to nute changes in hydro. Maybe it doesn't take as long to flush in hydro? I'm not sure that true though. I suspect the plant still maintains similar amounts of stored resources whether grown hydro or soil.

I'll be watching for the results of your test, and I'll be sure to share my results as well. :)

I think it's different for hydro and soil/soiless. I did stop feeding my soiless plants a couple weeks before I harvested, but when I switched to hydro, I basically fed to the end. It seems like the plants react faster to nute changes in hydro. Maybe it doesn't take as long to flush in hydro? I'm not sure that true though. I suspect the plant still maintains similar amounts of stored resources whether grown hydro or soil.

I'll be watching for the results of your test, and I'll be sure to share my results as well. :)

YHA i agree with that, i would concur that if it takes week to get soil dryed up of nutes because it gets traped in soil,coir,extra but in hydro the water is nuted or not ; P

cant wait to see it brother! dont be a stranger around these parts lol

Took up some lower, less yeilding branches off the deadhead yesterday, got a lil taste of how long it will take to trim thos girls lol!

Had some deadhead that i took a week ago and had been dryin, it smells great, smokes allright, (im picky and a huge critic of weed lol probly bustin my own balls ; P) curing should smooth it out a bit for sure so it can only get better..

Thing that blows my mind is the stuff that i dried has no were near the amount of trichs that they do now, so i can only image that the people i got my plants from are cutting them weeks short just to get a quick yeild lol, stuff im going to have is going to blow it up where im at!~

during lunch today i went and blew 90$ on; hp soiless(i have mix to go with at home:), smart pots x3, and saucers. i still have to go to home depot after work to pick up the rollers for them.

so inventory, i will have 6 10 gal smart pots once i harvest the northern lights, and i will have 2 15gals, which i will probly not use right now and just store them atm. im hoping to fit 12-14 plants in the room so having 6 pots now and then later purchasing 6 more, will help me create my perpetual harvest!

dont get me wroung, ill have alot of 5 and 2 gallons that will ocompany both groups lol

so last night i went to go to the bathroom (have to pass my grow room door) and noticed light peaking through.... the lights wert sopost to be on tho till morning,,,,, so i find out that the timer got pushed against a beam support and turned the timer on for 2-4 hr time frame before i woke up to find it f'ed up...... i added 2 hrs to there dark and turned them off but i think they got up to 2-3 solid hrs with 2 1000w lights on X o i hope this doesnt hermi them seeeing they are soo close to finishing !

Took up some lower, less yeilding branches off the deadhead yesterday, got a lil taste of how long it will take to trim thos girls lol!

Had some deadhead that i took a week ago and had been dryin, it smells great, smokes allright, (im picky and a huge critic of weed lol probly bustin my own balls ; P) curing should smooth it out a bit for sure so it can only get better..

Thing that blows my mind is the stuff that i dried has no were near the amount of trichs that they do now, so i can only image that the people i got my plants from are cutting them weeks short just to get a quick yeild lol, stuff im going to have is going to blow it up where im at!~

turn the plant over and cut the stem from the stalk so the entire leaf comes off. this way youll have to cut less single blades.

turn the plant over and cut the stem from the stalk so the entire leaf comes off. this way youll have to cut less single blades.

HAHA thats what i was doing buddy : P thats why i was saying i got a taste of how tedious i can be with trimming lol i got in there and trimmed the hell out of them, because im going to use the trim for hash i dont see it as a waste of my bud product but making one the bud better, and two the hash will be stronger because i have more leafs that are covered in trichs!
: )

Back
Top Bottom