Big-Hitting Attorney Behind Medical Marijuana Effort

Truth Seeker

We very well could see the question of medical marijuana on the ballot next November.

And you might have heard -- Florida super lawyer John Morgan, of Morgan and Morgan, is supporting the proposed constitutional amendment with an ad campaign and more.

This radio ad starts like all the others: "I'm John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan."
But after the opening line, the likely most recognizable voice on the Florida airwaves makes a plea instead of offering legal advice.

"Medical marijuana has been proven to give our loved ones the relief they need," the ad continues.

In February -- the big-hitting Orlando attorney got behind the petition to get the question of medical marijuana on the ballot, saying it gave his father a better quality of life toward the end of his battle with cancer.

"He's certainly been our primary funder," says campaign manager Ben Pollara for "People United," the PAC behind the initiative. "He's a man of his word who gets things done. Whenever I start to have doubts, I call John, and he goes, Ben, you're going to get this done," adds Pollera.

Done deal? Could be. Political science professor, Laura Weir, says Morgan's reach can only help.

"That's going to add a very powerful public interest influence to getting the signatures on the petition," says Weir. He's very respected in Florida. I think yes, that his endorsement is going to make a huge difference," she adds.

Not only that, but also Morgan is one of the top lobbies in the state.

"I think the odds are very good of getting it on the ballot in November," Weir says.

...which means you could be hearing a lot more of that familiar voice.

Petitions are available at John Morgan's law office in Fort Myers, where we're told people come in regularly to pick them up. If enough signatures are validated, the petition could go to the Supreme Court this week for a review of its language. Then organizers will continue collecting the nearly 700,000 signatures needed to get the amendment on the ballot for 2014.

Coming up tomorrow -- the surprising group of voters who could hold the key to medical marijuana becoming legal in Florida.

Community_Compassion_Center.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: fox4now.com
Author: Liza Fernandez
Website: Big-hitting attorney behind medical marijuana effort - WFTX-TV Fort Myers/Naples, FL

Back
Top Bottom