BIG PROBLEM Please help

paulwall

OK so I am about to place my seeds into the rockwool and i go to test out my new HPS light and noticed a big problem. The light starts up then like 20 secounds later the light shuts off. I unplugged it and tried again a minute later and the same thing happend again. Any ideas or solutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like something is wrong with your light.

:grinjoint:

I would say its the ballast. Is it an all in one unit or separate ballast? I would take it to your local hydro shop usually they are good at troubleshooting the HID's. Oh you said new, just noticed that. What brand light?

I would think if it were the bulb it would not work at all. One last thing but not probable is your power supply. How big is the light? What is the amperage rating of the breaker you are running it off of? Anything else running off of the breaker? If its getting close to the limit that may be causing the light to shut off.

Sorry to hear your new light is not working man that's a bummer, good luck with it.

:peace: YD

How long did you let the bulb go before you turned it off ? They take a minute or two to heat up fully so turn it on and let it heat up for at least 3 min. if it doesn't come on fully than its probably the ballast.

What's the lighting setup? I saw it was a 400w hps. What is the ballast and bulb? Is it digital ballast? Or a convertible ballast hps/mh?

Double check the bulb that it is a 400w and not a 600w. I was gonna mention to check that the bulb is compatible with the ballast but since it came as a package that should not be a problem.

I just let it stay on and it would turn on then off after a few seconds then a minute later it would turn on again for a couple seconds. It just keeps repeating this cycle. I had it connected to an extension cord but then tried it straight to an outlet and it did the same thing.

Sorry to hear that pw. Take yarddog35's advice and take it to the local hydro shop, and see if they can help you out. One thing to do is study the bulb and just see if there is anything out of the ordinary, broken filament, hole in the glass tube, other then that I'm stumped. Best of luck with the light.

Problem has been solved. I guess the Ballast wasnt charged or something because i left the ballast hooked up to the power while the light was not hooked up to it. After about ten minutes i hooked up the light and it seems to work now.

Problem has been solved. I guess the Ballast wasnt charged or something because i left the ballast hooked up to the power while the light was not hooked up to it. After about ten minutes i hooked up the light and it seems to work now.

Whew! Thats good to hear! That would be pretty ugly if you got a light system that didnt work. Anyways, good luck on the grow can't wait to see pics of it.

Yeah man, the other thing might be your power. When I had too much plugged into one circuit I was overloading the circuit and it would do the same EXACT thing. So I ran a heavy gauge extension cord off another circuit and now it works fine. Glad you got it settled out.

Back
Top Bottom