BigBonks 1st Ever Grow: Outdoor Autoflower, Organic On Balcony, 4x Plants

BigBonks

420 Member
Hey all,

Growing 4 Autoflowers on the balcony, or actually on two balconies, one balcony gets sun 6am to noon, the other noon to 8pm, so shuttling them back and forth for now anyway.

The two strains are 'Royal Jack' (Sativa 40% Indica 30% Ruderalis 30%) and 'Royal Dwarf' (Sativa 60% Indica 10% Ruderalis 30%). Both picked for their short stature, apparently around 90cm height max, let's see.

Growing in 6 litter Teracota pots, pre-soaked, using 3 part Peat, 3 part Compost, 2 part Perlite and 1 part Vermiculite. Watering/misting with 6.4 pH water.

All seeds were soaked in this water for 16-18 hours, then sprouted in paper towels over 3-4 days.

3 plants planted and broke ground in the past few days, currently in veg state. 1 I just planted within the hour, it was the biggest seed of the lot, it cracked but with a tiny tail, and tail growing super slow, 1 mm per day or so. I asked about it in the FAQ section and 'The Celt' kindly gave me some advice.

Looking forward to seeing how these grow in the climate here. We currently have 20-23c weather, humidity between 60-90% most days, about 14 hours daylight, half the days its high intensity UV, the other half bit cloudy, but should get better as the month moves on.

One weird thing I did not expect is that the Peat was full of either red worms or earth worms and hot to the touch when I was mixing it. I'm currently misting the plants and watering the extreme outside perimeter of the pot, as well as filling the tray that the pot is on, around every 3 days or so, weather and heat dependent, this is mostly for the worms benefit. I'm guessing they are a good thing and should be kept alive. Water volume I've taken as around 20% of pot size as a guiding amount, but not watering other than misting within 10 cm diameter of the plants, hoping this won't soak the medium too much, encourage roots to grow down and out and same time keep the worms happy.

So far so good I think. Will update if any new developments occur.

Any advice and comments are welcome! Thanks!

Sounds really interesting, bud. I'll definitely tag along. Are you in the UK, out of interest? I'm in Scotland. I'll be trying an outdoor grow as soon as I can.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures

Cheers Burdok420! I am from the UK, but been living on Spains's Western/Atlantic coast for about a year now. We only started getting decent weather about a month or so ago. It has been one of the wettest/dampest autumn/winters I have ever experienced, made the UK look dry by comparison. Locals tell me it was an unusual one.. I would have gotten started a bit earlier otherwise.

I'll get some pics up soon, need to get a bit of growth going, their only tiny now, but looking healthy I think. Just waiting for number 4 to break ground too, hopefully.

Picked up some basil, rosemary and oregano today for company and added scent. Read they may be useful for camo and keeping away some bugs etc. Gonna put them in hanging pots near by.

Will be interesting to see how your outdoor grow goes, hopefully will get some nice summer weather this year!

Been a bit slow going here I think. First grow, so no point of reference for comparison.

That late sprouting seed didn't make it, I had it sitting in soil for about 8 days, eventually dug it up to have a look and the tap root only extended a few more millimeters, the colour didn't look right either, so I ditched it and sprouted another which has been growing quicker than the other 3 had done before, I'm guessing because the sun and temperatures are better now. I also burried it a bit deeper and as a result didn't need to assist with the shell as it came off on its own soon after breaking ground.

One of the 3 original plants had slightly damaged leaves when the shell came off, not sure if it was as a result of my assistance with removing the shell or something else, but it seems to be doing fine now, bar a bit of dead/dry leaf on one of the tips where the initial damage was.

The original 3 are growing, they all broke ground around 19, 18 and 17 days ago. I've been quite cautious not to overwater them, so mostly been misting the surrounding soil when they are in the sun and otherwise watering the pot perimeter and drip tray with either half a liter per pot every 2 days or 750 ml every 3 days, depending on soil dryness and time in sun/outside temperature. The terracotta pots have been quite interesting, again I have no point of reference, but with a combination of weight in hand, colour (gradient - darken when wet) of the pot, and feel of the pot's sides (dry/moist) I would like to think I've been estimating the necessary water requirements decently enough. A few days when I had to keep them indoors due to rainy weather, had some white mould growing on the sides of the pots. I used a solution of 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water to mist and then scrub the pots and that seemed to work well.

I read somewhere online, memory fails me, that these are hardy plants and they will grow deeper/stronger roots if the conditions are right and that this will produce a better result longterm, again, I'm a noob so it's all experimental to me, but generally I've been keeping the bottom 3 cm of the soil (going by pot color) consistently wet, as to encourage roots to go deeper. However, doing some more reading today, perhaps the pots I'm using are too big for the early stages of growth.

My camouflage plants (Basil, Oregano and Rosemary) are doing well, but I did have a an issue with some mites on the Oregano, so for now I moved the ladies in to a different rooms window sill for the first part of he day (before shifting them to the other balcony for afternoon. I scoped out some natural pesticide spray and will grab some on Monday or Tuesday, as well as some organic NPK, or at least thats what I understood it was with my poor Spanish. I haven't used any fertilizer as of yet, other than two occasions of some 2 day soaked banana peal water left over from making banana bread, not sure if that was any use, but apparently adds some potassium and sugars.

Any advice, comments, are much appreciated!

Would be interested to hear opinions on growth rate, they seem a bit small compared to some of the plants I've seen on the forum that are approaching 3 weeks above ground.

Also, should I look for any specific ratio on the NPK? And is it necessary to add some supports for the plants (ie. a stick with some wire around it), being near the ocean we generally have relatively strong wind almost continously. They've been dealing with it fine thus far, but don't want to take any risk either.

Many thanks!

IMG_20200523_175621.jpg
IMG_20200523_174813.jpg
IMG_20200523_174834.jpg
IMG_20200523_174851.jpg
IMG_20200523_174859.jpg

I'm a bit annoyed, I had a look through some of the other threads showing early growth plants and it seems my ladies are indeed going pretty slow for end of third week. I also came across this very informative thread by Emylia:

Which seems contradictory to what RQS, the vendor I got my seeds from say here:

Not sure if I should be doing something to remedy my current situation.

The main difference I see is that the pot size recommended by RQS is maximum, whereas it seems better to build the plants build a solid rootball in a small pot first before moving to bigger ones. As such, given the potential issues with young plant's roots in a large pot, perhaps I am over watering them.. I'm gonna try and hold off on the water for a few days and see how that works out, though, they are in direct and intense sunlight for quite a while daily.

I'm a bit annoyed, I had a look through some of the other threads showing early growth plants and it seems my ladies are indeed going pretty slow for end of third week. I also came across this very informative thread by Emylia:

Which seems contradictory to what RQS, the vendor I got my seeds from say here:

Not sure if I should be doing something to remedy my current situation.

The main difference I see is that the pot size recommended by RQS is maximum, whereas it seems better to build the plants build a solid rootball in a small pot first before moving to bigger ones. As such, given the potential issues with young plant's roots in a large pot, perhaps I am over watering them.. I'm gonna try and hold off on the water for a few days and see how that works out, though, they are in direct and intense sunlight for quite a while daily.
Hi BigBonks. I am a new grower also (about 4 months in). I have four autos that I started in small peat pots and up-potted into 1 gallons (which I think really helped with root development) and then up-potted again to two gallon containers with no issues at all. I hadn’t read about planting autos in the final pot so if followed the guidelines for photos. The large pot is likely why they seem to be growing slowly. I am also wondering if the terra cotta pots might be a problem? They are very porous, but I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing in your situation. I believe that @Emilya recently responded to a grower question very similar to your situation. I will see if I can find it. I’m not sure if her proper watering tutorial applies at this early stage?

Thanks BooWhoo!

That would be much appreciated!

The reason I went for terracotta pots was also RQS recommendation, they have an article where they ranked them and terracotta came next after 'air pots' which I could get my hands on unfortunately due to covid related issues here. RQS reckon terracotta is more porous than plastic and let's more oxygen through as well as keeping the soil moist when too dry and dry when too wet due to its characteristics or something like that..

I haven't given any nutrients yet (bar some banana peal tea twice, which didn't seem to have nay effect), was going to start this week with NPK at a quarter dose or less, I've been to the garden centre here to scope out the NPK but not sure what NPK ratio to go for, they have quite a wise selection available.

I just tried to tag you into the post I was referring to earlier. A lot of people here have started using Mega Crop for their entire grow with very good success, but dosage needs to be “dialed in” over a trial period. I’ve been using Dyna Grow foilage-pro during vegetation which is 9-3-6 NPK and it has been very easy to use by simply mixing as indicated for production. I’m using the Dyna Grow Bloom in flower which is a 3-12-6 NPK and have done the same with it. I will use the Mega Crop on my next grow to see the difference in ease and production. Again, I am a newbie too so hopefully someone will chime in!

I just tried to tag you into the post I was referring to earlier. A lot of people here have started using Mega Crop for their entire grow with very good success, but dosage needs to be “dialed in” over a trial period. I’ve been using Dyna Grow foilage-pro during vegetation which is 9-3-6 NPK and it has been very easy to use by simply mixing as indicated for production. I’m using the Dyna Grow Bloom in flower which is a 3-12-6 NPK and have done the same with it. I will use the Mega Crop on my next grow to see the difference in ease and production. Again, I am a newbie too so hopefully someone will chime in!

Thanks BooWho, I got that tag, was just checking it out! Much appreciated!

I'll be back in the garden centre later this week and will check out the nutrients again. They are pretty cheap here so may just grab a selection of various ratios.

Hi BigBonks. I am a new grower also (about 4 months in). I have four autos that I started in small peat pots and up-potted into 1 gallons (which I think really helped with root development) and then up-potted again to two gallon containers with no issues at all. I hadn’t read about planting autos in the final pot so if followed the guidelines for photos. The large pot is likely why they seem to be growing slowly. I am also wondering if the terra cotta pots might be a problem? They are very porous, but I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing in your situation. I believe that @Emilya recently responded to a grower question very similar to your situation. I will see if I can find it. I’m not sure if her proper watering tutorial applies at this early stage?

Many thanks Emylia! That is some super detailed instruction! I'll have to read through it a few more times and will try to implement this method!

Back
Top Bottom