Biggest advice on quick drying and curing

Hi guys. I was smoking my wonderful last green crack after having finished trimming my recently harvested smoothie auto. And felt like sharing something important to any grower.

I ve been growing for two years in a perpetual way. I never stopped trying things and learning. I tested all the most famous drying and curing methods. What I can say with 200% confidence is that the fastest way to smoke your buds with the best taste, from all the methods I tried (wet trimming, dry trimming, paper bags, air tight jars, etc....) is to hang dry the entire plant straight after harvest. Take a further look about why to do it for more details on internet but what I could remember from a scientific approach is that there is an oxydation process that stops as soon as you remove the leaves. That's why it s important to leave all the leaves at harvest so that the moisture can go from the leaves to the buds and help them drying with let s call it a more efficient timing. Depending on your humidy it can take between 5 to 10 days. You need to be patient and check carefully to be sure the buds are really dry enough that you could put them in jars without any fear. Don't put any fan blowing on the plants while drying. But don't worry if it took 5 days instead of 7 or 10. If the plants had the leaves the process of slow drying will happen and even if humidity was low the buds will later and faster be tastier and overall better than if you had wet trimmed then cure at least 3 weeks. Once the drying is done trim then put buds in paperbags for 5 to 6 days. You can fill the bags entirely as your buds are supposed to be dry enough. Plus I could test even wet buds with leaves in paper bags and never got mold. So this method gives you smokable buds in around 10 to 15 days. And what I call smokable is like the taste we re all looking for. I can see no difference between buds I smoked after the 15 days and buds I m smoking 2 months later that had been curing nicely in Mason jars with bivefa 62%.

So to conclude I ll say like different people are also saying, the long curing is necessary only for wet trim. If the plant could dry in a good environment after harvest and with all the leaves to allow the moisture process to work, it shouldnt need a long curing at all. Paperbags do wonders to finish the work!

I know I m no one but you can trust me for the fact I m a learner. This allowed me to harvest 460 grams dry of a fastbuds green crack auto in a 3gal fabric coco pot. I never saw big numbers like that for this strain. This is after several fails. You can check my grows. I always reported my mistakes and fails cause always feel like sharing can help others going to success faster.

Love

Hmmm, if i want speed i will boil my weed in filtered water (multiple times changing water of possible), put in a colander to lose humidity and then oven @ 100 degrees celcius. Terpenes will be lost, but smoke will be smooth as silk since the salts and chlorophyl washed away with water and the weed got decarbed in the process.

Any sources for the oxidation thing? im aware oxidation will affect taste in salads, but wanna read the details.

You are right, I aways use to wet trim the branches/buds and cut the branches off the main stalk and hang in the tent. These would be pretty well dry in 4 /5 days and I would trim the buds off and jar for cure taking up 2 / 3 weeks. The last plant I grew ( Peyote WI FI ) I chopped the water leaves (fan leaves) the day before I chopped the plant and hung it whole in the tent with all the right temps for 9 days, after the 9 days I cut a couple of buds off for me and the son to try and put the rest in jars. It didn't last in the jar very long for the bud I smoked was some of the best weed I have smoked, and I have been smoking on off for 40+ years. I will always hang my plants whole from now on and start smoking right away.

Don't do it after all your hard work dry them slow and cure for best results.:thumb:

What I'm doing is not quickly drying with any terpene loss. It s just the regular dry trimming. What I could see with time for the best taste is that the most important is the first days. If the drying can take around one week to 10 days it s perfect! The cure won't change a lot. People are used to read everywhere the importance of curing. But the truth seems that no matter how long the cure is no miracle will happen. The hay smell etc... Is cause of bad drying IMO. Try by yourself you will realize that even if multiple websites repeat the same info nothing beats

Hmmm, if i want speed i will boil my weed in filtered water (multiple times changing water of possible), put in a colander to lose humidity and then oven @ 100 degrees celcius. Terpenes will be lost, but smoke will be smooth as silk since the salts and chlorophyl washed away with water and the weed got decarbed in the process.

Any sources for the oxidation thing? im aware oxidation will affect taste in salads, but wanna read the details.

I can't remember when I read that but it made sense. All the websites say that leaves help the buds drying slower. It makes sense but I hadn't have the scientific explanation. If I find the link I ll post. Leaves allow the buds to dry slower as after harvest when the plant is hang you ll see them surrounding the buds. It s cause the last pieces of moisture go from the leaves to the buds while hang drying. This allow the buds to dry slower and this is the key IMO. That's thanks to this drying which takes around 1 week instead of around 3 days if you trim leaves. The last pieces of chlorophyll will take much more time to be oxydates with curing. The brown paper bags help finish the drying and it s like a pre curing. But when they get out of the bags they are ready! Hard to make any difference with how they smoke 2 months later. I lost so much time scratching my head in the past and waiting ages to get a proper smoke after more than 1 months of curing. Then after wet trim using paper bags before jars got it better. But the ultimate smoke level started when I understood more about the slow drying process and realized that It s not the end of the slow drying which happens during the curing process which is the most important, it s the first days..... Just try by yourself brother

in my experience dry hay smell was from either harvesting too early and not letting them ripen. CANNDESCENT "top luxury brand" for cannabis in USA does 68 degrees 55 rh for 7-10 days hung whole or 5 to 7 but then will take each branch or cola buds still attached and then put into food grade storage bins for another but not sure which meter they use but check moisture content daily debuck and hand trim and that was last year producing over 10,000 lbs a year. I hate trimming

in my experience dry hay smell was from either harvesting too early and not letting them ripen. CANNDESCENT "top luxury brand" for cannabis in USA does 68 degrees 55 rh for 7-10 days hung whole or 5 to 7 but then will take each branch or cola buds still attached and then put into food grade storage bins for another but not sure which meter they use but check moisture content daily debuck and hand trim and that was last year producing over 10,000 lbs a year. I hate trimming
I love that brands its all i smoke right now! I'm about to harvest my first grow of OG sour kush and im sure it wont be as good as the Canndescant.

I love that brands its all i smoke right now! I'm about to harvest my first grow of OG sour kush and im sure it wont be as good as the Canndescant.
I've never tried it only available in California, just seen on canna cribs? Works most expensive cannabis. Doubt any of us can get like them the amount of money in equipment and sensors, these people went to school yo learn about moisture content lol. They get it down to a crazy % with deadly accuracy. We or most of us still rely on old school sight smell touch and RH%. But read somewhere u can use one of those wood moisture meters.

All the websites say that leaves help the buds drying slower. It makes sense but I hadn't have the scientific explanation.
Pretty simple explanation, the fan leaves cover the buds (when hanging upsidedown), before the buds can dry the outer fan leaves have to dry, it slows the curing process by a few days, since fan leaves have a lot of water in them. I have noticed that when trimming, the petioles of the fan leaves are often still "plump" with water while the leaves themselves are pretty dry. Most commercial operations dry with the fan leaves on.

Back
Top Bottom