BigJayDiggler's Soil Headband Grow Journal 2020

Yeah they were very light green from too much light. You’re gonna see these plants look better and better because in flower they actually need all that power from the lights. How long ago did you switch to flower? If it’s more than a couple days I wouldn’t try to go back to veg, I’d just flower these out and start a new round after.

It’s stretches more because it’s trying to make up for lost veg time. If you wait until the branches are all putting out alternating nodes and there are preflowers showing, you get less stretch and better buds. Trust me on this one. I flowered my Star Pupil after 4 weeks in veg. After I reveg’d her, the second time I flowered her, she was fully matured and yielded 2x the weight.
Yeah they were very light green from too much light. You’re gonna see these plants look better and better because in flower they actually need all that power from the lights. How long ago did you switch to flower? If it’s more than a couple days I wouldn’t try to go back to veg, I’d just flower these out and start a new round after.
I started them Tuesday flowering. My friend said learn what you can through several turns and don't expect everything to go perfect. Do you think I should leave the lights at 36" or back down to 24" I'm confident I can get the temps to stay in the seventies and keep the humidity below 50.
Question, do you ever have plants in same size pots drink water everyday? I've been watering all 14 pots, with nutes every other day. Some pots are dry fast though. Should I just give those dry pots a dose of water to sustain them until I nute all of them on same schedule, or nute them as recommended by the manufacturer every feeding? Does that make sense?

You can expect that each plant will drink at a different rate and require its own individualized watering schedule. Sometimes they’ll stay on the same schedule, but you can’t expect that. Definitely give them nutes every time you water if that is your proper methodology.

keep your lights high up. Trust me, they do not need to be close, they are very powerful.

Day 39
Flower day 6
They were dry. Gave half gallon to each pot (14)
Included in the feeding, now a cumbersome chore, items pictured. This time used manufacturer suggestion and went with recommended light dose. Experimenting.
10 ml bio bloom
2.5 ml bio bud
10 ml of cal mag gringo rasta fox farm
Girls on the left are taller a little florescent (cal mag). The girls on the right are shorter and greener (cal mag also). Hope I don't mess them up from experimenting
Moved lights back up to 36" on advice from a friend.
Next light says 24" for flower, but I'm at 36" like I said.
I have no flowers yet though. Lol
My expectations are high.
I need this to work!

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_113735644.jpg
    IMG_20200403_113735644.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200405_113641520_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200405_113641520_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200405_113645899_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200405_113645899_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200405_115322189.jpg
    IMG_20200405_115322189.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200405_120249572_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200405_120249572_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Day 39
Flower day 6
They were dry. Gave half gallon to each pot (14)
Included in the feeding, now a cumbersome chore, items pictured. This time used manufacturer suggestion and went with recommended light dose. Experimenting.
10 ml bio bloom
2.5 ml bio bud
10 ml of cal mag gringo rasta fox farm
Girls on the left are taller a little florescent (cal mag). The girls on the right are shorter and greener (cal mag also). Hope I don't mess them up from experimenting
Moved lights back up to 36" on advice from a friend.
Next light says 24" for flower, but I'm at 36" like I said.
I have no flowers yet though. Lol
My expectations are high.
I need this to work!
Looking nice! I'm in for this trip! :ciao:

Your girls aren’t gonna stretch much cause they’re receiving way too much light. Stretching happens so the plant can get some extra surface area for photosynthesis.... but if the chlorophyll is being blasted with more light than it needs already, why would the plant put energy into growing upward?

Lemme put it to you this way; you’ve got 2 650w lights side by side on one edge of your tent. That’s 1300w in an 8x3. 8x3=21sqft 1300w/21sqft=62w/sqft. You’re nearly double the recommended 35w/sqft for good LEDs. Next light recommends 24” when you’re using 1 light. If you’re using more than 1, they should be placed 5 feet apart. The lights are rated for a 7x7 in veg (that’s basically the size of your entire tent) and a 5x5 in flower(still more than half the size of your tent). Your plants aren’t going to darken up, doesn’t matter how much calmag you give em. They’re being bleached by the light. Im not sure what kind of experience your buddy has, but I just pulled an lb out of a 2.5x2.5 tent. I’m pretty confident with what I’m saying.

Other than being too light green your plants do look nice. I’m just worried they’re going to bleach and be unhappy week 4+ in flower.

Man, really glad you said that, I thought about in the beginning hanging the lights caddy corner from each other. By the way, the tent is more like 8x8. Spacing everything out was my intention. They are up high now. I'll post a pic later and tomorrow to document it and see if it helps

If you did put the lights in the corners from each other and spaced out all your plants, I can nearly guarantee that they’ll look a lot happier and grow better. You’ll see leaf lift and praying.

i said 8x3 because all of your plants are to one side of the tent and Both the lights are illuminating that one side. The space you are using effectively is 8x3. If I were you. I’d hang the lights equidistant from the wall and each other. Where the space from the left wall to the first light is equal to the space between the lights is equal to the distance from the second light to the right wall. That way you’re lighting up all of your space instead of a part of it. Basically it’ll be like 6” space then the first light, 6” space then the second light leaving 6” to the other wall. Id also stagger your lights the other way. So one light is closer to the north wall, and the other light is closer to the south wall. You’ll have darker spots in like a 1x3 area in opposite corners, but besides that your entire tent will be lit up for flowering. Later on you could get a couple of those Marshydro sp150s to put in those corners. I think they’re only like $150 ea. Then your entire tent will be lit up for flowering, corner to corner.

Here's a sketch. The way I first intended it. My friend's set up was a 4x8 tent. 2 megas. Since I had an 8x8 tent, my reasoning was that I would copy that by using half. He has excellent results. I am learning. Next run, I want to change. I need to get started on the next soon.
Need seed recommendation. Thanks man. Your help is appreciated.

Attachments

• JPEG_20200405_152946_6187281198892766288.jpg
    JPEG_20200405_152946_6187281198892766288.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 23
Yeah that’s exactly what I’ve got in mind. Your drawing is a little better than mine. I just put in the measurements. You’ll need 2 lights that cover 3x3. I recommend the Marshydro TSW-1000. $250 each and they’re top of the line, just like the nextlights.

You’ve got so much canopy space man, I’m jealous. Once you’ve got yourself sorted you could pull nearly 5lb out of this tent for sure.

Seed recommendations... well it really depends on what kind of effect you’re looking for. Starting with Sativa vs indica. I myself am a junky for the fuel strains. Chem, Gorilla Glue, diesel, that’s what I reach for.

My suggestion would be to search for strains by the breeder and NOT by the strain. let’s take Northern Lights for example. Every seed bank from here to mars has their version of Northern Lights seeds. But if you’re like me, you don’t want just any old NL. You want NL from the breeder that originally crossed NL (Sensi Seeds), the breeder that has the actual parent stock to make true NL seeds.

So, look around, see what people are growing and see if you can ask the breeder they got the seeds from.

Right now, Katsu’s bubba crosses are the rage. I personally am growing East Coast Sour Diesel x his Pre-1998 bubba kush as well as his Bandaid Haze #7 x pre-1998 bubba kush.

Greenpoint is another breeder that I’ve really enjoyed. I’ve been growing Greenpoints Cookies n Chem for two years now. He’s got this Stardawg stud that he breeds with, and it produces really special offspring.

Seed recommendations... well it really depends on what kind of effect you’re looking for. Starting with Sativa vs indica. I myself am a junky for the fuel strains. Chem, Gorilla Glue, diesel, that’s what I reach for.

My suggestion would be to search for strains by the breeder and NOT by the strain. let’s take Northern Lights for example. Every seed bank from here to mars has their version of Northern Lights seeds. But if you’re like me, you don’t want just any old NL. You want NL from the breeder that originally crossed NL (Sensi Seeds), the breeder that has the actual parent stock to make true NL seeds.

So, look around, see what people are growing and see if you can ask the breeder they got the seeds from.

Right now, Katsu’s bubba crosses are the rage. I personally am growing East Coast Sour Diesel x his Pre-1998 bubba kush as well as his Bandaid Haze #7 x pre-1998 bubba kush.

Greenpoint is another breeder that I’ve really enjoyed. I’ve been growing Greenpoints Cookies n Chem for two years now. He’s got this Stardawg stud that he breeds with, and it produces really special offspring.
I checked out a lot of seeds from a lot of different seed banks after a your . message. I did not realize that they were that costly.

Day 40
Flower day 7
Plants look greener
Lights still at 36"+
So I switched lights around in my 8x8 tent. The two next light mega's are hanging caddy corner now. I spaced out the plants too. I really want to get a portable air conditioner but I don't want to pay a shitload for it. Fir now I'm at 78° average. Is that too hot for flower? Humidity below 50% average.
The the last pic is of my plants before I moved them. They started out a fluorescent green, but they have been improving. That's what I think anyways. Compare to my last post of pics

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_170554028_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200406_170554028_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200406_170534788_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200406_170534788_HDR.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200406_155006486_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200406_155006486_HDR.jpg
    881.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200406_154954593_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200406_154954593_HDR.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200406_154942047_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200406_154942047_HDR.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200406_152828419.jpg
    IMG_20200406_152828419.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Oh hell yeah brother! Your ladies are definitely looking better than ever! Their color has greatly improved. They’re praying now instead of being droopy. You’re on your way to a great harvest now. 78F with 50%rH is like perfect for flower. If you can keep it that way, you’re golden. I myself bought a portable AC to run during the summer. With flower you can deal with temps up to like 82-83. Any hotter than that and yeah, you’ll need an AC. The one I use, i got off amazon for $260. It works great, and didn’t cost me a fortune.

yeah man, good genetics are not cheap. What kind of weed do you like? Maybe I can point you towards something that will be not super expensive, and worth the money. Oh yeah, have you seen @SweetSue ’s seed bank? You could probably pick yourself out a couple strains from there.. as long as you help her out with the shipping cost.

I'm a sativa guy myself. I will check out the other bank you suggested too. I'm super stoked, I got the plants back greener. I'm glad you chimed in on this journal. Thanks. I'm much happier with the set up now. I'm going to feed again this morning. Off to my real job then. I like coming home and check-in it out from what the morning looks like. Oh yah. I love the pebble punch and fruity pebbles how they look. You ever try anything like that?

I don’t know much about fruity pebbles, or pebble punch. But I just germinated an It’s It Punch from Sungrown genetics. It’s Acai berry Gelato x Purple Punch. She’s in promix and is working on her first pair of true leaves.

If you like sativas check out Ace Seeds. Their prices aren’t horrible, and they’ve got amazing sativas like landrace Malawi, Malawi x Panama, and a lot of others. A ton of members here grow and love the Ace gear.

Day 42
Flower day 8.
Here's later in the day pics
Fed this morning. Same Lighter dose by manufacturer recommendation. 1/2 gal per pot. With an extra 8th gal to top off here and there. Lowered lights to 30" humidity at 46% temps 78°.
The one 6" online with charcoal filter really does take out Smell. Not all, but I can definitely tell if I leave the door to the room open.
And total bonus, I discovered a vent in the middle of the room above my tent that I never saw, it was next to the rooms florescent light. Opened it obviously. Now have A/C from central air. Will monitor and report difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_135003148_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200407_135003148_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200407_135011542_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200407_135011542_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200407_135901558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200407_135901558_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200407_135947497_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200407_135947497_HDR.jpg