Biglo's White Rhino Deep Water Culture PC Case Scrog Grow

So day 10 has passed and here is a update. I added a second exhaust fan to help move more warm air out of the case. So far the case temp under the grow area has been around 74 degrees with 56% humidity. I have removed the feeder tubes since i noticed quite a few roots deep in the res. I also think I may have been over watering her since I noticed some drooping in the first nodes. I also did a little flush since my ppm was over 700. Maybe just a little too much nutes. I wanted to get it under control before things got out of hand. Currently my pH is 6.2 and ppm is 317 with a res temp at 64 degrees. I also added a very small dose (half a cap) of h2o2 to my res. I have also thought about getting some advance nute cal/mag mix just in case since i am using spring water.

Grow_00118.JPG

I'm hoping this is a sign of over watering and not mag def. I don't see any rusting so =/
Grow_00216.JPG

Big Lo,

I don't know how true it is but I've been told by several experienced case growers not to sweat the temp too much. Both of the successful growers I speak with say they've both, in the dead of summer down where we live, the case temp to be running at 85-88 degrees and so long as he kept them misted once a day and, it mimicked the summer rain, the plants loved it and everything was fine. I have four fans in my case and with all 4 CFL's on, I'm still only running between 5-6 degrees above room temp. My case temp will be running around 78-80 degrees. So I plan on misting once a day and observing.

Yes, it IS a learning experience. The onle piece of advice I can give you from my failures is that in a hydro setup, shit changes at a breakneck pace. You REALLY have to stay on top of it as a novice. I'm a novice and I'm going to be on these plants like gravy on biscuits. Daily gardening and housekeeping in the case (the cases seem to get dirty inside no matter how well sealed your setup is. It just seems to happen) is a must. A good weekly wipe down when you change your reservoir. Make sure the fans are free of build up. Daily observation is a must and even if everything is looking good, make sure you keep a hard journal of your daily activities.

That was my biggest first mistake that killed both of my pretty AK-48 baby girls. Stay on it because with that fast growth comes exponentially faster changes.

My sprouts will be up by tomorrow, I can see the root just near the top of the rockwool. So tomorrow I'll begin my 50% strength nute mix and get those babies under the CFLs.

Big Lo,

I don't know how true it is but I've been told by several experienced case growers not to sweat the temp too much. Both of the successful growers I speak with say they've both, in the dead of summer down where we live, the case temp to be running at 85-88 degrees and so long as he kept them misted once a day and, it mimicked the summer rain, the plants loved it and everything was fine. I have four fans in my case and with all 4 CFL's on, I'm still only running between 5-6 degrees above room temp. My case temp will be running around 78-80 degrees. So I plan on misting once a day and observing.

Yes, it IS a learning experience. The onle piece of advice I can give you from my failures is that in a hydro setup, shit changes at a breakneck pace. You REALLY have to stay on top of it as a novice. I'm a novice and I'm going to be on these plants like gravy on biscuits. Daily gardening and housekeeping in the case (the cases seem to get dirty inside no matter how well sealed your setup is. It just seems to happen) is a must. A good weekly wipe down when you change your reservoir. Make sure the fans are free of build up. Daily observation is a must and even if everything is looking good, make sure you keep a hard journal of your daily activities.

That was my biggest first mistake that killed both of my pretty AK-48 baby girls. Stay on it because with that fast growth comes exponentially faster changes.

My sprouts will be up by tomorrow, I can see the root just near the top of the rockwool. So tomorrow I'll begin my 50% strength nute mix and get those babies under the CFLs.

Thanks for the heads up Playloud. I've been doing a lot of reading and hydrogrows are very difficult for a first time. Unforgiving is a word I could use to describe it. I think everything is going well so far. Key things i'm keeping a close eye on are, air temp, humidity, res temp, pH, and ppm during nutes. I also ordered some advanced nutes sensi cal/mag grow to make sure of no deficiency.

Update.... So far things seem to be going well for day 12. I added a small batch of fresh nutes. I pH balanced a cup of spring water then added my nutes and checked the ppm. It was 1059 which would be around 700 once added to the res which is way to high for right now. I diluted the mix till it was about 500 ppm and 5.5 pH. Added it to my res and waited about 10 minutes and tested a sample from the res. pH was 5.9 and ppm was at 356. Just about the right range I was looking for. I also added about 2 caps of h2o2 in a 1/4 cup of pH balanced water and added it to the tank. I'll have pics up later. :grinjoint:

I have been reading and I just may be wrong with this . I thing your problem with your res temps is your tank is to small not enough water volume for cooling the pump and its overheating the water . Just an Idea ?

I have been reading and I just may be wrong with this . I thing your problem with your res temps is your tank is to small not enough water volume for cooling the pump and its overheating the water . Just an Idea ?

Yeah I remember reading about that right now the res is staying at between 68 and 69 degrees. I noticed when I had the water pump with the feeder tubes in it was between 76 and 80 which is really hot. Hopefully my baby straightens out now with low temp res readings.

So just a quick update so far. Its day 14 and things are looking fine. Still having a issue with the res temp averaging aout 69 to 71 degrees. My pH varies as usual so as usual I adjusted it down to 6.1 with my ppm's sitting at 170. I also sprayed my baby with 6.04 pH balanced water. I'm going to start doing that daily or every other day as I was not doing so before. Heading into the third week I hope she starts to take off.:popcorn:

Well looks like I have a problem. I really can't put my finger on it because i'm staying in range of my pH,ppm nutes,humidity,res temp, lighting, case temp, ect... She's drooping!!!!:reading420magazine:

Grow_00119.JPG

How's she doing now???:straightface:

Everything is looking so good so far. Is she still drooping?

I'm suspecting that there was a deficiency going on. After adding about 1 tsp of advanced nutes sensi cal/mag grow solution a day later and she has really responded.:yahoo:

Grow_00317.JPG

Grow_00217.JPG

Grow_00120.JPG

Here is a before and after pics.

Before:
Grow_00119.JPG

After:
Grow_00120.JPG

I'm really glad she was able to recover so quickly. :ganjamon:

BigLo,

Glad to see she rebounded! Was concerned for a second. I guess I had better buy some Cal mag myself.

Things seem to have stabilized in my res since adding the cal/mag solution. For the last 2 day's I've only checked my pH twice. It's only risen a few points. Stumpy, thats what I call her lol, is exploding with growth. I'll post another pic tomorrow. I did noticed the ppm high to I replaced 2 cups of pH balanced water on the res to stave off any possibility of nute burn or lockout.

So its day 19 and things have seem to be coming along. I did slip up the last 2 day and only checked on my baby one each day versus twice like normally. Things seem to be going smoothly tho. I checked the pH and it was 6.81 which is high but not outrageously high. I added more nutes and adjusted the pH down to 6.3. I noticed how well she responds to being watered with the spray bottle. The growth is really coming. Each day I notice how bigger she is getting and also noticed she is drinking more water. Well thats it for now boys and girls. Leave some feed back.

Grow_00121.JPG

Back
Top Bottom