Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

I'll be honest, I never thought I'd live to see this actually happen.... I've been smoking since the 70's...

Ditto. It is simply amazing.

Ian

Nationally 4 plants per household. 2 provinces & 1 territory passed (or will pass) provincial laws outlawing home grow. It will be up to a future (but inevitable) court challenge to see if those laws can stand.

Indoor or outdoor can be determined by your province or municipality.

ian
Thanks buddy

I'll be honest, I never thought I'd live to see this actually happen.... I've been smoking since the 70's...
I can’t beliebe it’s took this long. Crazy

I guess I’m just jaded, or rebellious by nature. I don’t know... I was never that great at following the ‘rules’ or the rulers and I never obey these laws anyway. I have a toe in this thread out of morbid interest, but honestly- mostly I find the whole ‘legalization’ thing sort of depressing.
If it was actually legal the same as lettuce or tomatoes I would be very happy about the state of affairs. As it is- it’s just a bunch more stupid greedy laws that I’ll continue to ignore. I’m not hurting anyone and not trying to control what other people do. I scoff at the strangers trying to control my use of an ages old plant. Why shouldn’t I?
On the other hand I’ve always managed to live my life pretty freely one way or another, and never had to suffer a huge amount of repression like some have, so I maybe I’m speaking from a privileged position, or been lucky, or something
I’m happy for any cannabis user who’s life will be improved by this. Not sure it affects me much though, and I’m defintely not glad to see all the greedheads slither out of the woodwork to profit from control of cannabis.

As medical users, we have it much closer to what I'd ever hoped for, ability to grow more, able to smoke wherever smoking is allowed, no rediculous limits... I'm pretty sure recreational will catch up to that, it's just going to take time...

I feel sorry for those trying to grow for the first time with a 4 plant limit though... I have a limit of 30 plants (6g scripts, wife and I) and it's taken me a while to figure out how to make sure I don't run out. I can now get from one plant, the same amount it took me 4 or 5 plants in the beginning... Technically, I suppose clones count toward your total, so if I have 10 plants in flower, 10 in veg ,and 10 clones, I'm at my limit, and that doesn't count mothers... How the heck can you manage with 4 plants? especially if there are multiple people smoking in that home?

Do you guys count clones (not yet rooted) in your total?

Anyhow, overall, we are moving in the right direction...

I feel sorry for those trying to grow for the first time with a 4 plant limit though...

No need. In my 1st grow, I grew 2 photo-period plants from seed & this yielded 8 oz dry. And I made a lot of mistakes so the haul should/could have been bigger. Total time was 8 months for grow/dry/cure. I am about to start a new 2 plant grow again. I should be getting low just around the time this new crop is ready. I have enough premium seeds in stock to repeat this over 30 times.

Ian

No need. In my 1st grow, I grew 2 photo-period plants from seed & this yielded 8 oz dry. And I made a lot of mistakes so the haul should/could have been bigger. Total time was 8 months for grow/dry/cure. I am about to start a new 2 plant grow again. I should be getting low just around the time this new crop is ready. I have enough premium seeds in stock to repeat this over 30 times.

Ian

I go through an ounce a week, or 1/4 lb per month... I'm working toward a perpetual harvest model, but I need to veg longer and fim them to get them nice and bushy... I'm slowly getting there...

Is the government trying to control where we buy our seeds from in these new laws?

Actually, reading the new law carefully, seeds are lumped in with cannabis. The only exclusions are non-viable seeds and stalks. How they can police this remains to be seen but following the money will kill local seed vendors just like it will kill the Moms. Some of the overseas seedbanks already will not ship to Canada. Sensi, Green House etc. Green House inked a deal with Canopy so their refusal is understandable.

Stock up while you can.

Ian

October 17 is legalization day.

Ian

You can get the info directly from the horse's mouth (Bill C-45). I've quote the sections that answer the most often asked questions. Although this is from the third reading in the House, the Senate has pretty much left this alone.

illicit cannabis means cannabis that is or was sold, produced or distributed by a person prohibited from doing so under this Act or any provincial Act or that was imported by a person prohibited from doing so under this Act.‍ (cannabis illicite)

Criminal Activities
Possession
8 (1) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited
(a) for an individual who is 18 years of age or older to possess, in a public place, cannabis of one or more classes of cannabis the total amount of which, as determined in accordance with Schedule 3, is equivalent to more than 30 g of dried cannabis;
(b) for an individual who is 18 years of age or older to possess any cannabis that they know is illicit cannabis;
(c) for a young person to possess cannabis of one or more classes of cannabis the total amount of which, as determined in accordance with Schedule 3, is equivalent to more than 5 g of dried cannabis;
(d) for an individual to possess, in a public place, one or more cannabis plants that are budding or flowering;
(e) for an individual to possess more than four cannabis plants that are not budding or flowering; or
(f) for an organization to possess cannabis.

Production
12 (1) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited
(a) to obtain or offer to obtain cannabis by any method or process, including by manufacturing, by synthesis or by using any means of altering the chemical or physical properties of cannabis; or
(b) to alter or offer to alter the chemical or physical properties of cannabis by the use of an organic solvent.

Authorized alteration
(2) An individual may alter the chemical or physical properties of any cannabis that they are not prohibited by this Act from possessing.

Definition of organic solvent
(3) In paragraph (1)‍(b), organic solvent means any organic compound that is explosive or highly or extremely flammable, including petroleum naphtha and compressed liquid hydrocarbons such as butane, isobutane, propane and propylene.

Cultivation, propagation and harvesting — 18 years of age or older
(4) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for an individual who is 18 years of age or older to cultivate, propagate or harvest, or to offer to cultivate, propagate or harvest,
(a) a cannabis plant that is from a seed or plant material that they know is illicit cannabis; or
(b) more than four cannabis plants at any one time in their dwelling-house.

Cultivation, propagation and harvesting — dwelling-house limit
(5) Unless authorized under this Act, if two or more individuals who are 18 years of age or older are ordinarily resident in the same dwelling-house, it is prohibited for any of those individuals to cultivate, propagate or harvest any cannabis plants if doing so results in there being more than four such plants being cultivated, propagated or harvested at any one time in the dwelling-house.

SCHEDULE 3 
(Subsection 2(4), paragraphs 8(1)‍(a) and (c), subparagraphs 9(1)‍(a)‍(i) and (b)‍(i), paragraphs 51(2)‍(a) and (c) to (f) and subsection 151(2))
Equivalent Amounts

Code:
Item  Class of Cannabis              Quantity that is equivalent
                                     to 1 g of dried cannabis
1    dried cannabis                   1 g
2    fresh cannabis                   5 g
3    solids containing cannabis      15 g
4    non-solids containing cannabis  70 g
5    cannabis solid concentrates     0.25 g
6    cannabis non-solid concentrates 0.25 g
7    cannabis plant seeds             1 seed

Comments:
1. Adults will be able to have 30 gm of dried cannabis or it's equivalent in their possession while in public.
2. Adults will be able to have up to four NON FLOWERING cannabis plants in their possession while in public.
3. Adults will be able to have up to four plants in a single dwelling place, subject to provincial and municipal regulations.
4. The Minister or government agency responsible has not been defined in the legislation.
5. Although selling cannabis is illegal, the amount you can have in your dwelling place is unlimited. The amount where it is deemed 'Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking' is not defined. Use your mind. The limit will probably be defined in a future court case, and be somewhere between two and five Kg. Don't become the test case.

Back
Top Bottom