Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

Yes, the timing is such that an outdoor crop is impossible this year. Folks will be hard pressed to have an indoor crop ready to harvest by year's end, even if they can get seeds or clones on Oct 17. Valentine's Day for the first dried and cured legally grown recreational cannabis seems about right.
I’ll chance it I’m growing outdoor ones in ontario of course I’m little paranoid but do I deserve to be in jail with murders and diddlers and who knows what else for trying to find relief for my symptoms . Wonder what would happen as I have a good case for court and it being so close to legalization

Yes, I stated I do carry a COPY of my prescription with me, so I am legally allowed to carry it around, I just wondered if my script was enough, or if I also need to carry a COPY of my grow authorization form...

Unfortunately, there is no indication of requirements for carrying it around with me... My own script is 4g/day, so technically I guess I can carry around a quarter pound! lol...
Hey buddy I did the same route you did got a year prescription which just expired from tweed never ordered as prices were higher then street here. Even a thc content of 14 % and low cbd their cheapest products for me was 200$ with taxes and delivery charge thingy they ding you why when I can spend 140$ and get 20+ thc and clean smoke frim
My go to in bc place I order from? Just doesn’t make sense . I get the labor behind it but still .. I ain’t supid and knwo my cannabis products now - educated over two years here. If im wrong we all out over the two years of info I’ve been giving. RIght ?

Anyways I am sure I was allowed with a 5 gram prescription have to carry original with me and allowed to carry up to 30 grams on me . Growing you have to apply to health Canada whigih I reached out and never got a reply back In regards to trying to get a micro grow permit . Doctors push pills and look for whatever is less work and paperwork for them. The. You have anti cannabis doctors who say not enough science and long term surveys down for long term treatment . Oh boy .. my question is to anyone ....

I’m In Ontario and what happens if legal and all we are allowed to grow four plants per adult in household so say I am growing outdoors which I’m entitled too and someone steals my plants ? Is this insurance or police I would contact? As that is still theft and entering or trespassing on property ?

A couple comments that I believe to be true:

Medical patients can carry a 30 day supply.

The rec grow rule is 4 plants per household - not per person.
Oh thanks I was under the impression it was per adult cool thanks man

Has anyone read what happens if you go over the 4 plant limit? I read through the law and as near as I can tell all the possible punishments are on the table with no clear guidance yet.

I'd ideally like to have a couple more going to keep things rolling along smoothly. With the 4 limit having a mother plant seems like a waste. Keeping a separate veg and flower area does too. The only thing I can think if u stuck to 4 is go with autos and plant one every couple weeks.

Thoughts?
Punishment

(9) Subject to section 51, every individual who is 18 years of age or older who contravenes any of subsections (1), (4), (5) and (6) or any organization that contravenes subsection (1) or (7)
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to a term of imprisonment of not more than 14 years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and is liable
(i) in the case of an individual, to a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, or
(ii) in the case of an organization, to a fine of not more than $100,000.

Ya that's what I read too. I'm thinking if u had 5 plants that was obviously for personal use you won't be getting 14 years. There are generally sentencing guidelines for stuff like this but I guess not yet. I'm thinking probably a fine. I'm sure it won't take long after Oct to find out.

I agree. I think growing your own fem seeds is probably the best plan under the new regime. Who knows whats going to happen to the existing seed companies. I'm guessing the gov is either going to shut them down or demand a big cut raising prices at the very least.

While nobody is talking about it, I believe that growing in compliance with C-45 will not result in a conviction at this time.

I do not believe the courts would convict you for 4 plants. I am sure they would take a dim view on the use of police resources busting people who are compliant with the new laws. In MY OPINION C-45 and C-46 have received Royal Assent and therefore are the law of the land. The Government is saying October 17 so they can get everyone using their suppliers. All of the talk has used carefully worded statements that give the impression that cannabis is still illegal until the 17th of October.

This is what Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould said, “I urge all Canadians to continue to follow the existing law until the Cannabis Act comes into force,”

She did not say that C-45 is not the law (it became law with Royal Assent on Thursday afternoon, June 21st 2018), but she "urged" Canadians to follow the old law.

She did not say it is illegal to comply with C-45. Nobody has said that.

There are some caveats.

The cops are still the cops. C-45 and C-46 don't require them to keep your plants alive if they confiscate them (if I wrote the law it would require that they replace what they confiscated, say 4 or more ounces of bud per plant, sourced from a Licensed Producer). So even though you are seen to be legal by the courts, you don't have your plants.

The cops are the cops, part two. The cops can do what they want until told otherwise. And even then, they can still use the ignorance of the public as a tool. They can confiscate your half ounce of primo bud and make you fight to get it back. Or they can tie you up for a half hour asking questions. They are getting paid, their time is compensated, yours isn't. Oh yeah, to add insult to injury, YOU are paying that cop.

Which begs the question, do you want the hassle that comes with sticking one's neck out?

Be cautious and comply with C-45.

So, on the first day of summer, 2018, Cannabis became (sort of) legal. Something to celebrate!

Peace. :peace:

I agree. I think growing your own fem seeds is probably the best plan under the new regime. Who knows whats going to happen to the existing seed companies. I'm guessing the gov is either going to shut them down or demand a big cut raising prices at the very least.

Hi All,

I don't understand why seed companies would be shut down. Growing is now legal under C-45.

If they didn't shut them down when recreational cannabis was illegal, why now?

As I understand it, at least with Medical pot, and I assume recreational as well, you will be required to purchase your "starting material" from an approved producer. I don't know if they will even try to enforce this though. I'm not sure how, short of using GMO genetics which make the buds fluorescent or something... Shutting down seed sellers would be their most effective weapon, but I'm sure many will flourish, especially online...

If they didn't shut them down when recreational cannabis was illegal, why now?

The seeds were classed as novelties. Bill C-45 reclassifies them as a form of cannabis, subject to all of those rules.

you will be required to purchase your "starting material" from an approved producer

I read the ACMPR, and my grow license. I didn't find anything that requires you to buy from an LP. I may have missed something.

Recreational cannabis will be subject to the new law when it comes into force, so that will have to be bought through the government approved chain.

As with many things about these draconian pieces of legislation, seed control won't survive court challenges.

Control of seeds will be viewed in both medical and recreational terms. Outlawing non government approved seeds will set off a firestorm in the medical cannabis community. Since the Supreme Court has repeatedly sided with medical cannabis users, recreational cannabis will be able to ride on the coattails of medical cannabis' success.

I read the ACMPR, and my grow license. I didn't find anything that requires you to buy from an LP. I may have missed something.

Recreational cannabis will be subject to the new law when it comes into force, so that will have to be bought through the government approved chain.

You're probably right, I may have assumed this because the application has a question on it about whether you require starting material from an LP. I misinterpreted it to mean you must buy from an LP. Of course, I did not get mine from an LP :)

I have checked no for L.P. starting materials on over 20 applications for new and renewals for myself and family/friends. Not one has been denied.

John Conroy touches on this in one of his papers. Basically no, medical patients can get genetics from where ever they like.

Try enforcing this with recreational people... Which I know for a fact lots of the rec. guys already have the genetics they want...

Unless they get magic powers this is just going to be a shit show.

Health Canada yesterday announced the new regulations for medical and recreation cannabis. It isn't online until July 11. If I am reading the news correctly, this will replace the AMCPR and it sets guidelines for rec in accordance with C-45.

•hemp farmers will be able to cultivate the flowering tops of their plants and not simply, as it is today, hemp fiber and hemp seeds that are intended for food products;

•those who possess genetic material for cannabis that has been engineered prior to legalization (likely in the black market) will be able to simply declare that they have the material and then they will be able to use and sell it; and

•those who have been charged with trafficking will not be banned from being licensed in the legal regime.

The articles I have read seems to aim these at the new category of mini-micro commercial growers - not med or rec. The med regulations of AMCPR look like they will carry over with a few 'minor' changes. TBD.

As well, it sets a limit on the potency of cannabis oil 30 mg of THC per millilitre of oil) but not for leaf. (Hurray!)

I will try to clarify . . .

Ian

I have a copy of the Regulations to Support the Coming into Force of the Cannabis Act from Health Canada. here are the excerpts that apply to medical marijuana:

When the Cannabis Act and its regulations come into force on October 17, 2018, cannabis will cease to be regulated under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) and will instead be regulated under the Cannabis Act. At that time we will repeal the two following regulations under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act:
- Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations
- the current Industrial Hemp Regulations

Cannabis Regulations
As set out in the Cannabis Regulations:

access to cannabis for medical purposes will continue to be provided for patients who need it:
- the Regulations will substantively incorporate the current rules for access to cannabis for medical purposes, as set out in the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations
- certain changes have been made to create consistency with rules for non-medical use of cannabis, to improve patient access and to reduce the risk of abuse of the system

Back
Top Bottom