Bill Nye Explains Why Marijuana Should Be Legal

Ron Strider

Bill Nye supports marijuana legalization, even though he personally would like to stay away from pot.

The former TV host and noted Science Guy was featured in a video segment of NowThis Weed to explain why cannabis should be legal, despite all the reasons why he doesn't approve of smoking it.

Nye argues for further scientific research, which is currently hampered by marijuana's classification as an addictive drug with no medical value.

"What's happened with marijuana is it's a Schedule I drug, which means it's presumed to be addictive and it's presumed to have no medical value. Yet people are using it for all these medical applications," says Nye. "So well, let's study it. Well, you're not allowed to study it because it's a Schedule I drug... So that has to be sorted out."

But while he's intrigued at the science behind cannabis, he just can't stand the dank qualities of pot smoke.

"I don't like the smell. I just don't like it," he says to begin the clip. "One time in college I tried it, and I'm not good at smoking. I didn't put in the hours to get good at smoking."

Nye has witnessed for himself how legalization has improved the economy and quality of life as a resident of Washington.

"I lived in Washington State for a long time, and Washington State legalized it in 2012. We legalized marijuana, we tax it," Nye adds. "We have a lot of tax revenue. It's no longer criminalized. We don't spend money on the police department. We spend money regulating the industry in the same way we regulate other substances."

He joins fellow celebrity science enthusiast Neil deGrasse Tyson as an advocate, who also endorsed legalization in a September interview with rapper GZA from the Wu-Tang Clan.

Bill_Nye_-_Filmmagic.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Watch: Bill Nye explains why marijuana should be legal - seattlepi.com
Author: Oscar Pascual
Photo Credit: Filmmagic
Website: Seattle news, weather, sports, events, entertainment | seattlepi.com - seattlepi.com

Back
Top Bottom