Bill Targets Certain Kinds of Medical Marijuana

Jacob Bell

A new bill that attempts to create more restrictions on the medical marijuana industry was released on Wednesday.

The bill, House Bill 11-1250, was written to "prohibit marijuana-infused consumable food and beverage product manufacturing and sale." It has since been amended to only apply to ointments and tinctures, not food or beverage products.

Ryan Hartman, owner of the Boulder Wellness Center, worries about the bill's impact on his dispensary.

"It would definitely hurt business. My business focuses on people over 40, and most of them prefer food." Hartman says. "Some 90 to 100 percent of cancer patients prefer food. If you have cancer from smoking, and the doctor recommends marijuana, you don't want to consume it by smoking it."

It's one of the many restrictions he's seen that attempts to control the market of medical marijuana products.

"A year ago I would've said I wasn't worried about [the bill passing]," he says. "But, yeah, crazier bills have passed."

The bill's language claims the bill is necessary for "the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, and safety."

The public hearing for HB 11-1250 has been set for March 1 before the House Judiciary Committee.

News Hawk- GuitarMan313 420 MAGAZINE
Source: boulderweekly.com
Author: Chelsea Long
Copyright: Boulderweekly.com

Back
Top Bottom