Bio-diesal Fuel; How to make

S

Smoknbabe

(BTW, Please do not try this at home. Also please note the date of authenticity of the doc.)

**Note**This article states that there are no engine modifications needed to run Hemp bio-diesel fuel!!

Hemp Oil Fuels & How to Make Them
By: A. Das

Introduction of Hemp Bio Diesel maybe the liquid fuel of the future. Hemp is a high yield C-4 photosynthesis plant. Hemp can boast a higher oilseed yield than any of today's oilseed crops (soy, canola or safflower).
Thirty years ago soy beans were a joke to American farmers. Who would have guessed that in thirty years soy beans would become the largest oil and protein crop in American farming. Right now Hemp farming is a joke to American farmers. Who knows what the next thirty years will do to American Hemp farming. Hemp fuels are yet another benefit of Domestic Industrial Hemp Farming. As we enter 1997 more than ten states will be considering Industrial Hemp Farm Bills. In the meantime, Hempseed must be grown out side the country. The major part of the cost of the inexpensive Hempseed is transportation from across the globe. The seed to produce a gallon of Hemp-seed oil can cost up to $100. All foreign production and shipping plans are doomed to high costs. I look forward to the days when a farmer can produce his own hempseed oil fuel as low as a dollar a gallon.
A 4 kilowatt diesel generator uses around one liter an hour .
Bio Diesel is not a new fuel. The DOE and USDA have provided funding for research for years. The Biomass Conference of The Americas in Burlington Vermont had over a dozen papers presented on all aspects of Hemp as an oilseed cultivars. Lets get on with it!
How to Make Bio Diesel Titration of Free Fatty Acids. Measure Free Fatty Acid content of your oil: Mix 1 ml oil with 10 ml Isopropyl alcohol = 2 drops phenolthalian solution (available in a hobby shop chemistry set suppliers). Drop-wise add 0.1% lye solution ( 1 gm lye in one liter water ) until the solution stays pink for 10 seconds. (20 drops = 1 ml) Record the milliliters of 0.1% lye solution used.
Methanol You will need 200 ml of methanol per liter of Hemp Seed oil. Methanol may be purchased as Drigas available at most automotive stores, read the label for methanol. Also Methanol is available from racing stores. Avoid hardware store methanol (wood alcohol) as it mat contain excessive water content.
Sodium Methoxide For each liter of hemp seed oil you need one gram of granular solid lye for each ml of 0.1% lye solution used in titration of free fatty acids plus 3.5 grams. Completely dissolve the proper amount of Lye in the methanol (Red Devil Lye can be purchased from the Grocery Store). This combined mixture makes sodium methoxide.
Mixer The type of mixer depends on the size of the batch. A blender works fine for a small batch. An electric drill and paint mixer on an extended shaft works well in a 5 gallon bucket. An electric light dimmer switch provides a good speed control.
Transesterfication Once the lye catalyst is dissolved completely so that there is no sediment, then the oil may be added to the methanol lye mixture while mixing continuously. At first the mixture becomes thicker, then thinner as the reaction proceeds. Collect samples every 5 minutes with an eye dropper into a test tube or clear container. The Mixture will separate into a light top layer of bio diesel and a darker bottom layer of glycerin, soap and catalyst. Continued mixing 30 - 60 minutes until the yield remains constant. Then stop mixing. Go have lunch. When you come back it will have settled into two distinct layers. You have just made what could be the fuel of the future for a self reliant society. Let the mixture settle for at least 8 hours. Pour off and save the bio diesel top layer into another container. A clear funnel bottomed container is helpful.
Rinsing The raw Bio Diesel that you have just produced may have some catalyst, alcohol, and glycerin remaining which could cause engine problems, so for long term engine reliability this raw fuel should be rinsed with water. Gently at first then more vigorously rinse with water until the rinse water is clear and the pH of the rinse water is the same pH as the supply water. Settle, Decant.
Drying Water in the bio Diesel makes cloudy so it must be carefully heated. At 100 C most of the water coalesces and falls to the bottom. This water must be completely removed from the bottom of the container before heating to higher temperature.
CAUTION! Wear protective clothing and eyewear. FAILURE TO REMOVE THIS WATER BEFORE FURTHER HEATING CAN CAUSE VIOLENT ERUPTION OF HOT LIQUID!
Once all water has been removed then heat the bio diesel to 300 f (150 c) to complete dryness. Cool, filter, and store bio diesel in a well marked dry closed container. 100% HEMP DIESEL FUEL (HEMP OIL METHYL ESTER - HOME FUEL)

~~~~~~~~~This fuel may be mixed in any ratio with petroleum diesel. Dynamometer tests indicate full power output with up to 75% reduction in soot and particles. No engine modification is needed to burn bio diesel fuel.~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Oil Feedstocks Hemp Seed Oil at present is too expensive to drive across the country. That is not the object of this article. Our purpose is to demonstrate proof of feasibility of this fuel concept. The time is now to give hemp a chance. The small quantities of Hemp Diesel Fuel can play a powerful role in educating ourselves and the policy makers about the hope in hemp.
For other readers the question will be raised. What else can I use as a feedstock that is cheaper between now and domestic hemp seed crops? Soy, Sunflower, Canola, and Safflower oils are being used in field testing programs right now.

shit if every congress person was reall aware of this we might actually get cannabis rescheduled or regulated instead of banned

shit if every congress person was reall aware of this we might actually get cannabis rescheduled or regulated instead of banned
Everyone of them has been told this over and over. Most either don't believe it or are afraid to change what they say to their constituents out of fear of sounding wishy washy.
Don't believe me? Write each one a letter and see what response, if any, you get. I know what the idiot in my area will say. Have you seen the standard congressional form letter on cannabis? I have...several times, and it reads the same for almost every conservative member out there.

Everyone of them has been told this over and over. Most either don't believe it or are afraid to change what they say to their constituents out of fear of sounding wishy washy.
Don't believe me? Write each one a letter and see what response, if any, you get. I know what the idiot in my area will say. Have you seen the standard congressional form letter on cannabis? I have...several times, and it reads the same for almost every conservative member out there.

Are their any laws in the land of the free and the home of the brave that would prevent one from manufacturing this??

^Believe it or not the government has some things you wouldnt even think of! They know how to make it and they have the equipment to do it, they wont mass produce it though. The government grows hemp by the ton and run tests and all that good shit. And who do you think makes the technology for them to do all this? USA companies, not mom and pops but the big buisness.

Yes Darlin',
Cannabis (therefore so is hemp) illegal

and imported hemp seed oil is Too cost prohibitive

Not to mention there are no companys in the US
that manufacture seed oil presses
:rollit: I seem to remember something about this law, and I can't help but wonder if there are any loopholes in it.:passitleft::battingeyelashes:

^Believe it or not the government has some things you wouldnt even think of! They know how to make it and they have the equipment to do it, they wont mass produce it though. The government grows hemp by the ton and run tests and all that good shit. And who do you think makes the technology for them to do all this? USA companies, not mom and pops but the big buisness.

By the ton, huh?? And who do you think foots the bill for this??

:rollit: I seem to remember something about this law, and I can't help but wonder if there are any loopholes in it.:passitleft::battingeyelashes:

If there was, We would have found it by now.

Even the states that have legalized industrial hemp, can''t get permits from the DEA to plant. It's still in court But they are fighting, both sides.
The DEA's biggest objection is that an illegal crop could be hidden in the legal crop.

One of the reasons I wasn't real happy in Kentucky.
They had the "research" laws for industrial hemp since the late 70's
but never did anything.

Hemp and cannabis are illegal. TO US! Where do you think alot of the imformation that is known about the two plants comes from? Government workers who grow and produce the two to do studies and all kinds of shit. The government is a trick bitch I will tell you, and I hate everything about this structure and hipocrytic society we live in. The government grows pot and hemp, the government also produces some unsaid other things that they study on. They come up with everything you could think of. They know all their knowledge not because of us...but because they go and get it themselves. By doing it in a controlled enviroment, where they produce the stuff themselves.

By the ton, huh?? And who do you think foots the bill for this??

Hemp and cannabis are illegal. TO US! Where do you think alot of the imformation that is known about the two plants comes from? Government workers who grow and produce the two to do studies and all kinds of shit. The government is a trick bitch I will tell you, and I hate everything about this structure and hipocrytic society we live in. The government grows pot and hemp, the government also produces some unsaid other things that they study on. They come up with everything you could think of. They know all their knowledge not because of us...but because they go and get it themselves. By doing it in a controlled enviroment, where they produce the stuff themselves.

And That's exactly why I believe I have the right for this freedom to grow my own openly without fear of arrest. If Uncle Sam can do it... I can do it!!!
I have the right to open my own bio-deisel fuel thing...

Yes Dad!! But he's not my favorite uncle.....

International Conference on Sorghum for Biofuel

Omni Houston Hotel, Houston, Texas
August 19-22, 2008

Yes to hemp!!!

Also could you folks who do your posts in yellow & blue colored lettering also do it in black? I cannot read the blue or yellow, it does not show up to my eye balls. Thanks!!!

mM

Yes to hemp!!!

Also could you folks who do your posts in yellow & blue colored lettering also do it in black? I cannot read the blue or yellow, it does not show up to my eye balls. Thanks!!!

mM
some colors are hard for me to read also. what i do is drag my cursor over hard to read fonts to highlight them. it works every time.

Thanks user! I should have thought of that. I'll give the ole curser a drag next time.

mM

Back
Top Bottom