Biodiversity of cannabis

I keep seeds from pretty much any part of the gene pool that they come from. Even if it is only one of each.
I plan to eventually develop my own cultivars, that way I don't have to smoke that next generation GMO sterilized sinsemilla brought to you by the makers of everything else.....

When I search for seeds, I automatically avoid anything which has Skunk in it, which covers about 70% of stuff on the market, if you search the background of the seeds available. Probably 80% of stuff on the market is based on Afghan, although you may have to go back a few generations to find it documented. This stuff has all sorts of remarkable names, but Skunk and Afghan -and I quite respect Afghan - are the base of much of it. I think there is a lot less "genetic diversity" than meets the eye.

One notes that Afghan was one of the three breeds used to create Skunk. I expect that Afghan DNA is in about 80%++ of seeds for sale. Of course, it is good stuff in many ways, so one is not surprised.

Since my last post on this thread, back in June apparently, I have begun my own breeding program. I made about 350 Devil's Pitchfork seeds which are (Columbian Red Point x Unknown) x DDA, 30 (Columbian Red Point x Unknown) x Sweet and Sour Devils Crack. I just pollinated 2x Trailer Trash Betty's and a Devil's Pitchfork female with my Devil's Pitchfork male. I also touched a bit of pollen on a single bud site of a Sensi NL x Nirvana NL IBL.

I continue to accept genetics from every part of the gene pool and will continue to mix and match genetics as I see fit, likely for years to come.

I bought a bag of alleged blue dream from a rec store on Turkey day. If this really is blue dream it is very watered down. Reminds me of the elusive mid quality brick I used to buy 10+ years ago. The commercial pot on the market in eastern Washington is getting more bland by the minute it seems, unless one is willing to fork out $45 for an eighth that still might not be up to par.

"""The commercial pot on the market in eastern Washington is getting more bland by the minute it seems, unless one is willing to fork out $45 for an eighth that still might not be up to par."""

That seems odd to me. Have you any idea why such a thing is happening?

I'm not sure why... maybe they are chopping early, packaging too wet, drying too fast, not picking the best phenos, not enough stress, too much stress, or maybe some of it sits in plastic for too long before selling. I tend to think it is a combination of a variety of factors. Also....
Cannabis adapts to its environment pretty fast and loses vigor over several generations from what I have read.

I once paid $40 for an eighth of "top shelf" Bruce Banner that was anything but potent regardless of what the labels say. The cheap stuff often times has stronger effects but they lack flavor and enjoyment.

I'm not an expert, just an observer

I'm not sure why... maybe they are chopping early, packaging too wet, drying too fast, not picking the best phenos, not enough stress, too much stress, or maybe some of it sits in plastic for too long before selling. I tend to think it is a combination of a variety of factors. Also....
Cannabis adapts to its environment pretty fast and loses vigor over several generations from what I have read.

I once paid $40 for an eighth of "top shelf" Bruce Banner that was anything but potent regardless of what the labels say. The cheap stuff often times has stronger effects but they lack flavor and enjoyment.

I'm not an expert, just an observer
Personally I think there's just not as much consistency in cannabis and the strain names that we'd like there to be, so expecting a certain level of quality from something based on the name of it just leads to disappointment. It really bothers me that they won't let us smell it in the stores here, because my nose has never failed me in picking good weed. Following that logic, I'm thinking it has something to do with the difference in terpene levels, and that it's not very likely these large operations are spending as much attention to quality control when it comes to curing and stuff that a small time grower would be.

Personally I think there's just not as much consistency in cannabis and the strain names that we'd like there to be, so expecting a certain level of quality from something based on the name of it just leads to disappointment. It really bothers me that they won't let us smell it in the stores here, because my nose has never failed me in picking good weed. Following that logic, I'm thinking it has something to do with the difference in terpene levels, and that it's not very likely these large operations are spending as much attention to quality control when it comes to curing and stuff that a small time grower would be.
The thing is that blue dream has never failed to smell like blue dream. Even heat stressed over fertilized blue dream smells nice. I dont grow it but I buy it often.

Sometimes there will be two different phenos in an ounce of the greenhouse/outdoor stuff, seeds are not at all uncommon. Soon I fear all store weed will be the same.

Back in the medical days I could pick up a bud and check triches in the lighted magnifier, I could even ask for a particular nugget. Free joints with almost every donation, enail in the back room, and access to the best get togethers. All things now considered illegal in favor of taxes.

Came across this other article about Open Source Breeding. Really interesting approach to address the problem
Open Source breeding is crucial to the full potential of the cannabis industry - Terpenes and Testing Magazine

Are you aware of any open source license for breeders? Are you using any?

That article got me thinking: If I were to do selective breeding and thereby invent the next Skunk (so to speak,) something which would change pottery and which every growers would like to get his/her hands on, should one try to trademark/patent the thing? Would such a thing be brilliant, good business sense, nasty, evil, corrupt? I don't know. It's not something I have thought of before or have seen addressed.
Question.gif

That article got me thinking: If I were to do selective breeding and thereby invent the next Skunk (so to speak,) something which would change pottery and which every growers would like to get his/her hands on, should one try to trademark/patent the thing? Would such a thing be brilliant, good business sense, nasty, evil, corrupt? I don't know. It's not something I have thought of before or have seen addressed.
Question.gif

For what my opinion is worth, it would be greedy and contrary to the spirit that led to the thousands phenos we can now breed from... If we all do what you are suggesting, we're preparing the ground for big AG and big pharma to take over.

I really prefer the Open Source approach

Back
Top Bottom