Black Light CFL-DO They Do Anything?

McCdive

:volcano-smiley: So I was sitting here wondering if adding 2' black light CFL t5s would add anything beneficial to a 2' X 12 CFL 6500k grow room? (Room is 3x3x6.5) They want 20 bucks a piece for 1 two footer with fixture. Anyone try this before? Adding 2 or 4 to the room?
Same question, except accompaning a 450 wt led. Any advantage?
Just curious, Andy.
:thanks:

Black light fluorescent tubes emit UVA light , they put a few UVA spectrum bulbs in many of the LED panels. It would help a bit but UVB would be more useful.
Although the violet glow of a black light is not the UV light as UV is invisible, its the visible light that escapes threw the colored filter on the tube.

I hate to sound stupid, but UVB ? If a black light is a UVA light, what is UVB light and in what type fixture and bulb do you find/use it?
One last question to the black light, if it serves no real benefit to the grow room, would using black light outside the grow room during "lights out" in the flower cycle afford me time in the grow room without disrupting the 12/12 cycle?
Or let me ask this a better way, is there a light that can be used with the grow room door open during "lights out" that won't harm the grow? (That's better)
Thanks, Andy.

You will want to get some reptile bulbs for UVB , CFL or the tubes , with the CFL's you can use a standard light socket and shade , the tubes require a fixture with the built in ballast. They also make UVB reptile lights in incandescent and MH plus mercury vapor bulbs. The CFL's are the easiest way to go and not that expensive. Although many people prefer to use the tubes.

They make the reptile bulbs in varying strengths of UVB, you should buy the Desert bulbs as they have a higher UVB output for the reptiles that like that.

The black light still lets some bothersome light out , They make green bulbs for night use , such as green CFL's which will not disturb the plants when in the night cycle

:drool::biglaugh::rolleyes3 BINGO!
Thanks LEDBud! That's what I needed to know. Green CFL bulbs.
Too bad though, I thought it would have been kinda tippy to work in the black light.
:biglaugh:

Back
Top Bottom