Black Sugar In The Great White North

So on to part two of the 2020 spring harvest.

May 25, day 77 of flower and at the age of 128 days, Gelat Og has also come down. She was started as a replacement for a failed Black Sugar but soon showed some strong genetics. Picked originally because of a similar flower time and plant height she very quickly started to dominate the grow space. She has been heavily super cropped and has filled in very nicely. Colas are the largest for me and the buds and super dense. Has a sweet aroma but sort of like dirt in a way. Nice to be able to separate the two plants by smell. This one is hanging in the grow room so the smell surrounds you when you enter.

At first guess she will produce half again as much as Black Sugar but with much bigger nugs. Amber trics. were about the same at maybe five percent so should be a good uplifting smoke. Wet trimmed and hung these buds will take a couple of weeks to dry especially with today's 82% rh.

These super cropped stems are proof positive that this process produces great results. Beautiful top colas and twoonie sized buds all the way down. Frost covered sugar leaves (left on for the dry) and beautiful purpling and fall colors. Love the way mature plants look just before harvest.

This grow was a comparative grow by a few Canadian growers featuring a strain called Black Sugar. Each of us grew differently , as each of you do, and we each have had varying results. My conclusion is that while BS seems to be a bit finicky at the start, once past that stage she was a strong grower producing some beautiful flower and medium sized buds that are fairly dense. Taste test and weight tally to come when ready. The seeds used for this grow were kindly provided by @SeedsMan, thank you kind sirs. Also by seedsman was Gelat OG which for my grow style really was the winner. Both of these great genetics will make another appearance in the Zen garden. Although I am leaning toward one flowering plant at a time.
Also a big shout out to @VIPARSPECTRA whose lights made this possible. One VP450 did me well for a number of grows, this grow with the two VP450's I have seen a vast improvement and can't wait for the final tally. A personal thank you to Hendi for all your help, please keep in touch.

Drove a 75 big block Trans Am with these numbers. With a Hurst four speed manual slap stick tranny. Some fun as a twenty year old you. :woohoo:

Seeing your effort hanging to dry is a satisfying sight, but the empty system begs for a few more hours of work before you can relax and wait for the cure to be over. Good to have a few jars of bud around to help keep sticky fingers out of the cookie jar for a few weeks at least. As always we must wait for a final weight count until dry, in the mean time it's out door gardening time and all of us on here have some green on our thumbs.

Until later, all is well in the Zen garden. :peace: :lot-o-toke:

Final tally for the Black Sugar is in. After a ten day dry in the box I gave everything a final dry trimming, weighed it up and jared it for the long term.
Wet trimmed and dried was 14 grams of larf that along with the 23 grams of dry trimmings will be added to the stash for my next run of oil.
And the star of this show is what this is all about. Surprised myself as this plant turned out to be my biggest to date. Jared bud weighed in at 112 grams of some sticky and really sweet smelling smoke. Must be getting better at the dry as there was no fresh hay smell for this round. At the start of the dry the rh was in the low 80's but these last few days it has dropped to 67% as of last evening. Great for that last bit of drying, and with one more to go it sure will help.

I have no smoke report as yet. Needs the cure to eliminate the raunchy smoke. As sweet as this stuff smells, sure hope the taste is there as well. The scissor hash from last evenings trim session sure made me drool for more.
So Black Sugar has produced 149 grams of usable product but still is a light weight compared to the upcoming Gelat OG. Buds are much larger and denser so she will be another few days to dry. She has a bit of hay smell but with a strong earthy under tone. May jar some of the smaller stuff in another day and let the colas hang for the duration.
The jars are filling back up so all is well in the Zen garden. :peace: :thumb::bong:

Final tally for the Black Sugar is in. After a ten day dry in the box I gave everything a final dry trimming, weighed it up and jared it for the long term.
Wet trimmed and dried was 14 grams of larf that along with the 23 grams of dry trimmings will be added to the stash for my next run of oil.
And the star of this show is what this is all about. Surprised myself as this plant turned out to be my biggest to date. Jared bud weighed in at 112 grams of some sticky and really sweet smelling smoke. Must be getting better at the dry as there was no fresh hay smell for this round. At the start of the dry the rh was in the low 80's but these last few days it has dropped to 67% as of last evening. Great for that last bit of drying, and with one more to go it sure will help.

I have no smoke report as yet. Needs the cure to eliminate the raunchy smoke. As sweet as this stuff smells, sure hope the taste is there as well. The scissor hash from last evenings trim session sure made me drool for more.
So Black Sugar has produced 149 grams of usable product but still is a light weight compared to the upcoming Gelat OG. Buds are much larger and denser so she will be another few days to dry. She has a bit of hay smell but with a strong earthy under tone. May jar some of the smaller stuff in another day and let the colas hang for the duration.
The jars are filling back up so all is well in the Zen garden. :peace: :thumb::bong:

Congrats on the harvest, you had a great run! It sure is nice to see all those jars lined up....almost makes you want to not touch them said no one ever.

I raise my Airizer Air to you Grow cha cho!

Finally, June 6 and the last of the spring harvest tally. The anniversary of D-day, thank you to all that served and made it possible to spend this day doing my own thing.
Thirteen days hanging in the grow room and ready to break down and jar. Smell is wonderful, so sweet with just a touch of earth and maybe a hint of hay. A this point I dry trim the buds on the stem so only the clippers are constantly gummed up. Oh what a problem. As everything was wet trimmed a couple weeks ago, not so much comes off now. I took 18 grams of larf and 14 grams of tricome laden sugar leaves. A nice addition to the butter stash.
This plant has all but convinced me that my system is really going to shine with one plant instead of the four it was designed for. Total bud count for Gelat Og by @SeedsMan ---76 grams lower bud, 88 grams top bud and the crowning glory, 105 grams cola tops. For a grand total of 269 grams of some dense, sticky, smelly goodness. This single plant has produced more in total then any of my past grows. While most of my plants have grown some good smoke this I consider, finally, some real top shelf bud. It has also set in my mind a goal for future, the elusive one pound plant. At a total of 301 grams of usable product, and sharing the lights, I think this plant proves to me it is possible in my little room.

Now this is cool and tell me it doesn't fit with the Zen garden. After typing the above total it hit me. the total Black Sugar was 149g. and this total add up to 450g. Cool part is they were grown under @VIPARSPECTRA 450's, proper. By doubling the light watts this grow I have also doubled the harvest. Worked out to 1.1 grams per watt which seems steady for these lights. Very impressed with cost per watt, longevity will be the next thing.

So lonely and quiet in the garden over the summer months but so not worth it to run AC. Soon time for my outdoor adventure to start. My choices are Gelato or Alaskan Purple or maybe both, but I think one may do. Sad to see this one over, it was interesting seeing other grow styles. Knowledge gained from this grow comparison will be put to use towards my one pounder. Every tid-bit helps. A big thank you to @KingsChron for setting this up, it was a great way to burn off time during this lock-down shite. Hope to see all of you on 420 for years to come.
All is well in the Zen garden. The shelves are full one again.
Total jared for this grow, two plants, 450 grams.

Finally, June 6 and the last of the spring harvest tally. The anniversary of D-day, thank you to all that served and made it possible to spend this day doing my own thing.
Thirteen days hanging in the grow room and ready to break down and jar. Smell is wonderful, so sweet with just a touch of earth and maybe a hint of hay. A this point I dry trim the buds on the stem so only the clippers are constantly gummed up. Oh what a problem. As everything was wet trimmed a couple weeks ago, not so much comes off now. I took 18 grams of larf and 14 grams of tricome laden sugar leaves. A nice addition to the butter stash.
This plant has all but convinced me that my system is really going to shine with one plant instead of the four it was designed for. Total bud count for Gelat Og by @SeedsMan ---76 grams lower bud, 88 grams top bud and the crowning glory, 105 grams cola tops. For a grand total of 269 grams of some dense, sticky, smelly goodness. This single plant has produced more in total then any of my past grows. While most of my plants have grown some good smoke this I consider, finally, some real top shelf bud. It has also set in my mind a goal for future, the elusive one pound plant. At a total of 301 grams of usable product, and sharing the lights, I think this plant proves to me it is possible in my little room.

Now this is cool and tell me it doesn't fit with the Zen garden. After typing the above total it hit me. the total Black Sugar was 149g. and this total add up to 450g. Cool part is they were grown under @VIPARSPECTRA 450's, proper. By doubling the light watts this grow I have also doubled the harvest. Worked out to 1.1 grams per watt which seems steady for these lights. Very impressed with cost per watt, longevity will be the next thing.

So lonely and quiet in the garden over the summer months but so not worth it to run AC. Soon time for my outdoor adventure to start. My choices are Gelato or Alaskan Purple or maybe both, but I think one may do. Sad to see this one over, it was interesting seeing other grow styles. Knowledge gained from this grow comparison will be put to use towards my one pounder. Every tid-bit helps. A big thank you to @KingsChron for setting this up, it was a great way to burn off time during this lock-down shite. Hope to see all of you on 420 for years to come.
Absolutely stunning Work!! That is quite the haul :) unusable as in no good for edibles either?? Great write up :) I enjoyed following along :)

:bravo: Welcome to the Wiser Hood!

The Baron loves stuffed jar shots!

So very impressive! Check out your numbers :) If you could duplicate that yield with another seed grow of Gelat.OG I think the world would explode! Got any clones per chance? hehe

Screenshot_1.jpg

Thanks everyone. Good genetics played the biggest part here. And yes I do have a few more Gelat OG seeds. Next round clones will be taken to establish a mother. Covid 19 put a stop to that this time. I like to think I helped a little, applying everything I have picked up from many hours of reading 420 and a few other sources. Repetition will be the tell tail. It sure has been a fun grow but I know they don't all go that way. Now it's time to bleach the equipment and room to be ready for the fall grow season. In the mean time my outdoor adventure is starting to gain traction. Grow on everyone. :peace: :lot-o-toke:

Fall grow but the year 2021. Something new for me. Autos in hydro. These girls are Purple Alaskan. They are four and a half week old, and have been FIMed at twenty one days. Showing purple coloring already so should be pretty in flower. Strong growth and are developing a massive trunk so my be monsters themselves. One can hope but really no way of telling with autos. Of the two smaller girls in the back, one jumped clear out of the rapid rooter when she tried to shed her shell, the other had a slight water problem (clogged line ) when first placed in the system. Both have recovered and are fast catching up.

Auto's sure do their own thing. All the same age but two have exploded over the past week. Looks like one of these is starting to flower but it is early morning, so. Hooked up the second light so able to keep a good distance above both sides. Last grow the odd ball heights were kitty cornered. Don't know how must they will stretch but still have lots of height. They seem to be loving the RDWC.

Day 74 Purple Alaskan auto's.
All four plants were FIMed. Three failed and one took. No training or trimming since.
If only all hooch would behave as well as this girl. Only standing 13" she is stacked from tip to crotch and fattening up nicely. A joy for indoor growers.
This girl on the other hand did her own thing. She stands at 19" and lookin great all on her own.
These next two were to intertwined to get a separate pic. of each. So just a shot at some yummy tops. One stands at 31" and the other at 39" These are two of the nicest colas that I have grown. These autos are really impressing me to no end. Looks like it's gonna be a great new year.

Back
Top Bottom