Black Sugar In The Great White North

The girls are getting acclimatized. to their new surroundings. After bringing the propagator upstairs where it is just a little warmer, I found that the heating mat would only bring the water up to 66f. While fine for roots to set in while growing, not so much to establish a nice warm humid home for plants trying to establish a healthy root system. Did a little rummaging in the basement and found a box full of old aquarium gear, another really cheap hobby to get into. Inside among some old heaters was this little 100watt submersible heater. Just the ticket. It is not adjustable but is designed to hold the temp. at 76f. Should do just fine at that temp. My better half just loves me for this one, the box is sitting in the kitchen. And I keep telling her that the CBD harvest this Sunday is for her, seems to be working so far. Ha
That's funny I just turned up a bin of old aquarium stuff when I was cleaning out my garage last weekend. It had a single outlet air pump and a aquarium heater. Might be able to find a use for some of the stuff.

I had African Cichlids at one time in my 20s...They were cool. Aquariums are cool.

Me and the wife has discus years ago they are really beautiful fish but they require a ton of maintenance. You had to constantly clean the tank because they were really sensitive to any change in the water quality.

Ya, definitely a relaxing hobby as well, at least once everything is up a running. I never planted my tanks like that beauty in your journal. Keeping a tank full of tropicals was enough of a chore, didn't need to worry about plants as well. Mostly sets were made from sand, rock and wood, much, much easier to maintain. Loved the sand as it would move around the tank depending on the direction of a couple power head pumps. Hard to fake those natural ripples. Sure wish I could find some prints but sadly twas before digital. May be the time to set up another tank, think I have a couple smaller ones left.

lad you could join in. Lots to take in following all of us. I think there was some talk about using your original thread to show off pictures. I think that is a good idea.
It should be no issue keeping up with a bunch of well organized top notch Canadian growers! I'm looking forward to following as many as I can. The thread is there for use but there is no obligation to use it obviously. Have fun blue!

Ya, definitely a relaxing hobby as well, at least once everything is up a running. I never planted my tanks like that beauty in your journal. Keeping a tank full of tropicals was enough of a chore, didn't need to worry about plants as well. Mostly sets were made from sand, rock and wood, much, much easier to maintain. Loved the sand as it would move around the tank depending on the direction of a couple power head pumps. Hard to fake those natural ripples. Sure wish I could find some prints but sadly twas before digital. May be the time to set up another tank, think I have a couple smaller ones left.
Yes was very relaxing. At one point I had a rack in my garage that had 18 x 10 gallon tanks for a breeding program as well as the 3 display tanks in the house. It was a lot. My tanks would grow so fast , I would have to aquascape every 2 weeks to keep everything in great shape. Then every 6 months I would change the whole display and make it completely different. Drove the wife nuts. Just leave it. It looks beautiful.
my response. I’m making it more beautiful...sadly I had to take them all down , when my child relapsed (cancer)for the 4 time. It was too much To maintain... other priorities came first. I still have a little 10 gallon filled with shrimp in my grow area ,, that’s all I have left.

You were hard into it for sure. At my most ,I think, One hundred + 23 + 12 gal. tanks, would keep me very busy. Kept the two smaller ones for a sick tank and an acclimation tank. Breed shrimp for live food only. loved it and do miss it. Sorry to hear about your young one, damn tough that fffin C word. We have fought our own battles here as well. And yes family takes priority over everything. Good to know you now have time for another hobby.

Gelat's tap root came through the plug over night. This one is strong and grew another 1" during the day. Black Sugar is only an over night behind. G was placed in a 3x3" cube that has been soaked in a solution ph'ed to 5.8 with a little cal/mag and some silica added. The pea gravel is loosely packed around the cube to help with support. BS will get the same treatment in the morning. In the grow room things are looking up and they have been in the dark for 36 hrs., right abouuut now.

Its been a long day but got everything rough trimmed and hanging to dry. Ohhh the smell, and such a pretty sight when all is done. Time to break down and bleach the system. The room will be bleached when the drying is finished.
On the new front, Black Sugar has thrown a tap root and has since nestled in her own wool bed. It is day two and they, so far , seem to like the wee hot house. Let them settle in for the week while things happen elsewhere. As a drying room the Zen has left my garden, like watching paint dry. :ganjamon:

Ha Ha , that is aquarium pea gravel from way back when. It is holding the rock wool cube up right and centered Keeps the light off the cube as well, stopping any algae growth. Just happened to be yellow. Damn, my other choice was pink. lol
Pink or is it salmon. Looking great Blue .. i May pot mine up over the weekend. See how things go.

A quick morning check has me doing the happy dance.:yahoo: Almost through this nerve racking part. Gelat has thrown good roots overnight. Black Sugar is just peeking through and testing the waters. Although small at the moment ,that will change as soon as she gets her feet wet. The res. water is charged with cal/mag and silica, along with a 1/10 dose of grow nutes. Should keep them happy for the week. :peace:

A little up date.
Earlier on I ran a 12v. fan off of a battery pack. The fan ran for eleven hours, so not to bad. So I recharged and tried the fan and a small air pump. This set ran for just over seven hours. My thinking here is to keep this in reserve for the upcoming winter power outages. You all know they are coming. Hell had one last night but it was caused by someone clipping off a power poll just across the street. All ok. Kudos to N.S. Power, they had a new pole planted and power restored within three and a half hours.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom