Black Sugar In The Great White North

Things are looking good over here! I'm not a fan of the seedling stage at all but you are nearly though it. So nice to see roots popping out of the net pot when I see that it gets me pretty excited.

Things are looking good over here! I'm not a fan of the seedling stage at all but you are nearly though it. So nice to see roots popping out of the net pot when I see that it gets me pretty excited.
Me as well. It's eight hours later and Gelat has reached the res. Black Sugar will break through the pot before my late evening check. By morning she will also be in the res.. From then on it's all up hill, watch im go.

My thinking here is to keep this in reserve for the upcoming winter power outages.
I bought a UPS only for my fans. Our ideas are similar but for different uses. If the power goes off then my air system continues to operate along with the circ fans where you need it for the res pumps and fan. Seven hours is some good backup off the batt pack :thumb:

Can't you feel it.
EXCITMENT!!!!! Excitment is in the air.

No wait. That's the next dump of snow to hit us tonight and tomorrow.:(

But then again, Maybe, just maybe........

I have been waiting for this for over a week, nice surprise at the front door. Discrete as well, except for the delivery van hauling onto the sidewalk out front.

Some ten gallon grow bags on top but wait for it...

A brand new and improved version of my old Viparspectra 450 that has proven to produce nice bud with the proper conditions.
This new version is my lights beefed up twin brother. With a few noticeable differences and a few not so noticeable differences.
First off they are the same in length and width, but in depth there is a 3/8" increase to 2 3/4"
The light panels are the same size but I do see some difference in the numbers and placement of some of the different color diodes. We shall see what the difference is when I get them safely hung in the grow room.
Power draw (watts from the wall) are the same, but I thought I read somewhere that my old light was drawing 219+- and not 200+-, can't seem to find that at the moment because like someone we all know once said "I smoke you know". Real glad to see that listed on the light itself, a sign of the changing times.
The hanging points have gone goliath, from metal knock-outs to full on threaded metal inserts, a vast improvement and one I especially like.
I am loving the fact that these lights carry an Underwriters Lab. number.
Also that they daisy chain, a real nice feature. I have enough stuff hanging around me ears.
A very noticeable difference is the weight, with the new light coming in almost a half pound heavier at 8.4 lbs.
Part of this is the increased casing size but I have it on very good authority that most of it is an increase in heatsink size and upgraded cooling fans. No way for me to confirm this until after the warranty expires, which by the by is a limited three years, so not to bad.

These two lights are gonna rock my grow world. Super stoked. Doubling the power to 400 true watts to cover approx, a three foot by three foot six , grow area. Comes in at 38 watts per square foot so hoping this will take my bud size and , more important, density, to the next level.

:yummy:
:ganjamon: :ganjamon:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

A brand new and improved version of my old Viparspectra 450 that has proven to produce nice bud with the proper conditions.
Sweet.... in my part of the country our Christmas ends on the 25th of December :)
Congrats on the new light brutha!

Can't you feel it.
EXCITMENT!!!!! Excitment is in the air.

No wait. That's the next dump of snow to hit us tonight and tomorrow.:(

But then again, Maybe, just maybe........

I have been waiting for this for over a week, nice surprise at the front door. Discrete as well, except for the delivery van hauling onto the sidewalk out front.

Some ten gallon grow bags on top but wait for it...

This new version is my lights beefed up twin brother. With a few noticeable differences and a few not so noticeable differences.
First off they are the same in length and width, but in depth there is a 3/8" increase to 2 3/4"
The light panels are the same size but I do see some difference in the numbers and placement of some of the different color diodes. We shall see what the difference is when I get them safely hung in the grow room.
Power draw (watts from the wall) are the same, but I thought I read somewhere that my old light was drawing 219+- and not 200+-, can't seem to find that at the moment because like someone we all know once said "I smoke you know". Real glad to see that listed on the light itself, a sign of the changing times.
The hanging points have gone goliath, from metal knock-outs to full on threaded metal inserts, a vast improvement and one I especially like.
I am loving the fact that these lights carry an Underwriters Lab. number.
Also that they daisy chain, a real nice feature. I have enough stuff hanging around me ears.
A very noticeable difference is the weight, with the new light coming in almost a half pound heavier at 8.4 lbs.
Part of this is the increased casing size but I have it on very good authority that most of it is an increase in heatsink size and upgraded cooling fans. No way for me to confirm this until after the warranty expires, which by the by is a limited three years, so not to bad.

These two lights are gonna rock my grow world. Super stoked. Doubling the power to 400 true watts to cover approx, a three foot by three foot six , grow area. Comes in at 38 watts per square foot so hoping this will take my bud size and , more important, density, to the next level.

:yummy:
:ganjamon: :ganjamon:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Allright....who doesnt love new lights!!
Maybe the significant other wondering how much more thats going to add to the power bill...mumble grumble.

Aye, but she neither see's nor pays said bill, so all good. But that does have me thinking and I can see a meter of some kind in the future. Gotta love new toys.
Day six in the wee hot house and I am a little perplexed, if not worried. Black Sugar has still not poked her tap root out of the net pot. I can see about a half inch of it in a small pocket at the bottom of the rw. It appears to be growing thicker rather than longer. Growth on top, although seemingly slow, has been steady and she looks healthy. The second set of true leaves, though small, were showing today and she is reaching for the light with no unruly stretching.
Gelat is doing her thing and has dropped four or five roots into the res. over night. Looking strong. She will be in need of more light and food very quickly. She is also showing her second set of leaves.
Things in the growing/drying room are coming along nicely and most parts of my system have been bleached and ready to reassemble. The exciting part is about to start.

:ganjamon: :peace:

Congrats on the new light joe! I love the smell of new grow equipment in the morning lol. I think the Black Sugar will figure it out hopefully she gets a root to the res soon.

Lights, lights, lights, what can I say about lights that hasn't already been said a thousand times on 420 alone. Not much that anyone wants to hear. About the only thing i can think of if my experience with grow lights. My first time seeing real lights in action was, to say the least, an eye opener. Two side by side rooms, each running six 1000 watters in parabellum reflectors and on light movers. My first experience with hydro as well, but thats another story. Super bright, noisy, hot, a pain in the a-- to handle, cheap to buy but expensive to run, short life span and dangerous. Anyone who had opened their head up on a parabellum reflector knows my pain.
Fast forward about thirty years and I am in charge of setting up a medical grow. Six dimmable 315 CMH went in. Beautiful lights they are turning out to be. Cheaper to run, cooler, much less hassle, and a much longer life span. And like any light, production increases in line with growing skills. The 315's are consistently producing just under one pound per light in a flood and drain to waste system.
Now for me. I didn't want the headache of a really hot bulb and not much head room, so I thought Led was the way to go. Mine can be hung pretty close to the ceiling, and believe me, it has. Now i'm not going to get into all the techno babble, while, now I pretty much understand it, mostly anyway, it's just not my thing. I picked my light based on the colored light spectrum graphs. Blue means grow, red means bloom and everything in between is just plain good for your plant. I stick by the acronym, K.I.S.S. This works for all aspects of this hobby.
The Viparspectra 450 seemed to fit that bill for me. An inexpensive light that could take you right through a grow. Even a year and a half ago this light was listed showing the watts from the wall, while many others weren't. 200+- to cover an area of nine sq. feet., not a lot but after the first grow I was pleasantly surprised, 218 grams in jars. Nice hard cola tops but the rest fairly fluffy, first try. After a few modifications to growing and another 208 grams of much firmer nugs, in jars, I was starting to like my light as it has now pretty well paid for itself. The third round is still hanging but I can already tell that the cola tops will be rock hard with lots of firmer nugs down below. Improvement again due to changing growing skills.
A quick calculation says that this light now has 5500 hours+- on it, and no problems at all so far. Runs cool, runs quiet, is super bright with a full spectrum including UV and IR. Veg and bloom switches , which I kept both on for the power. It will produce a constant gram per watt and I am so super excited to have this light, and its new beefed up twin brother, hanging side by side for this Black Sugar grow comparison. She can have one of these lights all to her self, lucky girl. Man, can't wait, lets get this grow on the go.

:slide: :Rasta::slide:

I really like this shot, Really zen :peace:

So maybe a little history about me and my system. Although I have been growing since legalization, I have a little knowledge dating back many years of the operation of large NFT systems. My system of today is based on what I have learned and is a cross between a NFT and a RDWC. Take your pick on which way to call that.

First try using a five gallon bucket for the res. ( for you younger canucks that's 20 liters) Single air stone, 220l/per hour pump
While this system worked well ,abit a few minor growing pains, it had it's drawbacks. Only held three gallons and the res. would run hot due to in tank pump and external heat source. It produced 200+ grams in the jar

Next up . up graded to a 50 liter cooler. 220l/per hr pump and two air stones with a small pump each. Res. now can hold up to thirty liters.

Res. temps. still would run a little high even with the insulating cooler. But again 200+ grams in the jar.

Third go at it this fall. One air pump running two stones and the addition of a evaporative cooler which as of now is keeping the res. at a constant 67f, so, needless to say,I am pleased with how it is working.
Currently occupying the grow room are two Dr. CBD and a lone Blueberry. They are about a week away from the harvest so getting excited about that. From what I see they are bulking nicely and should top 200 grams as well.
Absolutely awesome work bro,love the system

:nomo:
Does one ever really say?..."Ya, Im good with my light (s). I dont need anything."

Im pretty sure that I will never be satisfied with whatever supplies my photons.

:ganjamon:
DAY- 8
Finally, my prissy little girl has decided to test the water. She dropped four feeder roots into the res. over night. Main tap root remains in the net cup and may never poke through. Really not needed in a full on hydro set up. Lots and lots of feeder roots is the name of this game.
Both the gelat og and the black sugar have pretty much doubled in size since day 6 pics. I need two more day to finish up in the grow room, then we are really off to the races.

Nice healthy younglings. This is where you will leave us dirt growers in the dirt.

Thank you. Thank you. For all your kind words, Fuel to feed the growing fire. ;)

Yesterday was a busy one. Dry trimmed and jared my Dr. CBD. A three hour choir by the way, and damn if I didn't love every minute of it. There will be more on that a little later on my other thread. The grow room has been cleaned out, swept up,and bleached down and is ready to be set up once again.:cool:Today it's onto bleaching out the system, and this often leads to changing one or more things, as always. We shall see.:)
The plants are both looking very good and are itching for a new home. Gotta get my ass in gear a little earlier this morning, for sure.
Oh yea. You'll all like this one, I did anyway. Yesterday I also learned how to make Won Ton soup from scratch. Also a three hour ordeal, mainly because of above mentioned Dr. Cbd. Another hell of a nice hobby though. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom