Blackstrap Molasses for autoflowers

HutchBenedict

I have been reading about blackstrap molasses and how it fatens buds and makes them sticky. Also a good source of calcium and magnesium. Besides "is it a good idea?" my question is two parts:
1. How much for an autoflower? I've read from 2 x teaspoons to 2 x tablespoons.
2. Will it attract bugs?

I've used it on my outdoor grows-1 Tbsp. per gallon,not sure if it did anything for the
buds,but it didn't attract any pests.
If you do use it- dissolve it in fairly warm water-it takes about half an hour of shaking to get it to dissolve in cold water
My plants were photos,so I'm not sure what the "dose" would be for an auto-probably the same.

I've used it on my outdoor grows-1 Tbsp. per gallon,not sure if it did anything for the
buds,but it didn't attract any pests.
If you do use it- dissolve it in fairly warm water-it takes about half an hour of shaking to get it to dissolve in cold water
My plants were photos,so I'm not sure what the "dose" would be for an auto-probably the same.
Same dose
Ihave used on clones asa comparison and the plants with blackstrap molasses had buds appear stickier
Make sure it has no sulfur

From what I've looked into it, it seems to be cobblers. The bacteria in the medium could make use of it but all it will do to a plant is upset its ability to uptake minerals through the roots because it reduces their osmotic potential. Basically, the sugar around the roots will draw stuff FROM the roots and not TO the roots. Why is a sugar used as a preservative? Because it sucks the water out of the microbes! That's an extreme case but it highlights which way the water is flowing when sugar is present and this is what happens around the roots. This is besides being a fungus and pest magnet.

@YellowBelly have you tried it or is this your opinion? So many varying opinions on this. I would give it a try but I am afraid of attracting bugs.
That's chemistry, not opinion. I'm only interested in the science. Molasses is only useful to plants once the soil bacteria have altered it. If you are going to use it, use it throughout the grow but not as a ripener to make the buds sweeter and fatter...it's not possible. The main sugar molecules in molasses are too large to enter the roots. You run the risk of the wrong bacteria in the soil going rampant and messing up the roots functioning. That''s my honest 2 cents but it's your plant. Sometimes we just have to find out the hard way. :)

That's chemistry, not opinion. I'm only interested in the science. Molasses is only useful to plants once the soil bacteria have altered it. If you are going to use it, use it throughout the grow but not as a ripener to make the buds sweeter and fatter...it's not possible. The main sugar molecules in molasses are too large to enter the roots. You run the risk of the wrong bacteria in the soil going rampant and messing up the roots functioning. That''s my honest 2 cents but it's your plant. Sometimes we just have to find out the hard way. :)

The chemistry definitely sounds correct. Sorry I used the word "opinion" in that context, it does sound off-putting. I should have asked if you have had any experience with it and whether it attracted bugs. I really don't want to find out the hard way, lol.

I think I understand what you are saying here better than I did a couple of minutes ago. I can see that it would just muck up the soil and risk attracting bugs. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.

I'm kind of financially stuck with the 3 GH Flora nutrients and my calmag is high in nitrogen 4-0-0 so I'm trying to find out if there is anything I can do to help my buds along. I could probably swing the expense of another bottle of something if I was sure it was needed. I'm thinking ProTekt might be what I'm looking for. I'll probably just ride it out and have something to compare to next time:hookah:

No. I don't have direct experience. I might add a bit to a DWC grow to kickstart the bacteria I add. If you want to buy something then my suggestion would be a silica additive and liquid seaweed extract, like Maxicrop in the brown bottle. For the silica additive stick exactly to the instructions and no more.
Cool! Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom