Blue Dream CBD: Quadlining & Other Firsts In 2020

steffgrowsweed

Hello 420 Community, while obsessing over different growing techniques, I came across Dutchmans Grow Journal and with that also Asesino85s Quadlining squad. Ever since starting to grow (which was last summer for the first time outdoors with Autoflowers) I have this immense urge to try everything and learn as I do, get it out of my system almost. It is a bit obsessive but also fun and fulfilling. With that said, I also need to give "Quadlining" a go and what better way to try with my first feminized CBD strain indoors. Here are some details of this grow:

STRAIN
Blue Dream CBD by Humboldt Seed Organization

GENOTYPE & CROSS
35% Indica / 65% Sativa
Blue Dream x California Orange CBD
1:1 THC/CBD ratio (10% each)

ENVIRONMENT
Indoor tent 2x2x5 (60x60x160cm)
120W Greenception Cluster LED (~250W)
2 small fans for airflow
Exhaust & Carbon filter 220 / 280 m³/h

Biobizz Light Mix
Fabric pots

Humidity 40-45%
Temperature 23C/73F

I might need to add, that she is not alone in the tent but shares the tent with 3 autoflowers from mid-to-late flowering (currently Day 84).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BEGINNING

Day 0: 10. - 13. Jan. 2020

I like to soak my seeds in a Hydrogen Peroxide solution for 12-24 hours and then move them to a warm & dark place with a paper towel soaked in the same solution until a tap root shows.

Quick info on the solution: 1 ounce/28ml hydrogen peroxide 3% in 1 pint/473ml water - see this article as reference: How Does Hydrogen Peroxide Affect Seed Germination? I am doing this, since the first time I lost 6 seeds with regular methods. My guess is, it wasn't warm enough. So now I add a heat mat to avoid that mistake, but still go with the peroxide, since superstition :)

3 days after soaking & paper towel, the tap root was long enough to be put in a jiffy and join the big ladies in the tent. She was roughly 60cm away from the light, on a heat map still and in small plastic house for humidity.

IMG_1810.JPG
IMG_1811.JPG
IMG_1842.JPG

That quickly became really hot for her and the next day she looked all droopy and fried, a little yellow almost. I removed the heat mat and opened the lid of her house. Lucky me she survived the roast.

Week 1: 14. - 20. Jan. 2020

On Day 3 her tap root showed at the bottom of the jiffy, so I thought it's a good idea to repot to a small plastic pot. I watered her a little and added a humidity dome. I didn't think about the different environments needed for my plants inside the tent. So while the seedling needs lots of humidity, my other plants in flowering don't. Have to think of this next time.
What I also noticed is my impatience, it's awful... Since not pretty much is happening in the first couple of days, I tend to overthink everything and also do things, that might stress my plants. Here comes the overthinking part: I put her in a small plastic pot, watered a little with PH water (approx. 300ml). 3-4 days later the soil was still wet at the bottom. I blamed the plastic pot and was worried she might be overwatered. I really like fabric pots and never had to think of overwatering so far. So I ordered a small fabric pot to repot again.
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG

Week 2: 21. - 27. Jan. 2020

Here she is in her new 1l fabric pot with bottle humidity dome. The only good thing about repotting her was that I noticed a good amount of roots already. I never repotted before, since Autos, so that was interesting but probably also really stressful. I watered with 250ml after repotting and added 0.5ml Biobizz Root juice to a liter of PH balanced water.

IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG

Week 3: 28. Jan. - 03. Feb. 2020

Not much to report, she seems to be stunted, not a lot of growth. Also, clumsy me, she fell over while I was taking one of the bigger ones out. Poor thing :( She got a little water again, I added 1ml of Biobizz Heaven, Activera and Fishmix. Starts to look recovered.

Week 4: 04. - 10. Feb. 2020 - Stripped nodes 1 & 2 & Topped

Here we are right now. I had to go on a business trip for 4 days and she was watered by my automatic watering machine (see the little plastic thingy). Before leaving she looked good to have her 2 first nodes stripped. The Amino acids added through Biobizz Heaven seem to give her a really fat stem. Also I noticed the node spacing is pretty tight, don't know if that's a good thing, might have to do with the light distance. Since she fell over a week ago, unfortunately the leaf on the 3rd node is a little damaged, oh well. She seems tough.

IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG

On to a new post, since I can only add 10 pictures.

Happy growing everyone <3

Week 4 (continued): 04. - 10. Feb. 2020 - Topped her on Day 26

Before topping:
IMG_0624.JPG
9d6a48811dd4507b18121e33cee10f7d.jpg

After topping:
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG

The small node spacing seems to be giving her the perfect X-shape already. She might be a stressed slow-starter but I'm happy with her so far. Also, hello fatty stem:
IMG_0701.JPG

Checked in on her this morning and the stress through topping seems to be forgotten already, yeay.
2 days after topping:

IMG_0737.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG

Have to study some more of the Dutchmans & Asesino85s diaries to see what's next. Also I'm hoping for at least one of the bigger ladies to finish and make room for this young one. Debating if I should repot again or put her in her finals pot of either 3 or 5 Gal. Exciting.

Happy day everyone

UPDATE
It was only of short pleasure to have joined the QUAD-lining club, I'm afraid I have to join the TRI-lining club
I broke of one of her leafs, while bending it down. I must have felt too comfortable and bamm, it broke off. I watered her after, that's all I could do good for her. Anyone ever TRI-lined before? Oh my :)

IMG_0740.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG

UPDATE WEEK 5 - 10. - 16. Feb. 2020
It was not a good week for this little one unfortunately :( Two days after her leaf broke off, I noticed that the connected shute (?), that was growing beautifully, was half bent off. I don't know how this happened, did I touch it by accident, was it too heavy and broke off by itself... I was so shocked and ashamed and sad all at the same time, that I had to completely avoid the thought about it. I was busy harvesting two other plants and they deserved all my good energy and thoughts. So here I am, on a sunny Saturday morning with a coffee and a small girl scout cookies test batch, facing my strong three-armed plant. She will be alright. Here are some photos (please be gentle to me and your plants):

2 days after the leaf broke off - I did a first bending on the shutes (is that the correct word) and tried to safe the broken one (only half bend) by attaching some support through tape. Sadly it didn't work. I guess, since it broke off unnoticed at first, it probably was already too dry:
IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG

Here she is now, freshly watered with some Fish, Heaven and Activera of Biobizz. I will soon repot her into a bigger pot, still haven't decided on 3 or 5G. Probably go with 3G.

IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG

I hope you all have a happy day ☀️ I will be busy harvesting one more plant and bud washing and prepping for low and slow drying. Lot's of plant time for me.

Have a good one

UPDATE DAY 1 OF WEEK 6 - 17. - 23. Feb. 2020

This morning on Day 35 I repotted her from a 1l fabric pot into a 3g pot. There is more room in the tent now and she def. needed to be repotted. Some of her roots already grew together with the fabric at the bottom.

IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG

In regards to bending down the shutes, it looks like they also broke/ripped a little and almost grew together with the stem??? Not sure if having really fat stems is the best for this technique, at least in the beginning.
On the left is a photo from 2 days ago, which shows the growing-together.
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG

After repotting I added new clips for bending, let's see how she likes them. I give her a couple of days to recover from the move. Happy week everyone :)

UPDATE MID-WEEK 6 - More training & First defoliation

She recovered fine from repotting, it seems. She shows a little new growth. I'm glad I can finally focus more on her (poor thing), since the harvested ladies are taken care of.

3 days after repotting (see prev. photo for difference) on Day 38
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG

Yesterday (Day 39) she got a bit more training and I removed some leaves for better light situation. Those fat stems are really scary and so far not handy :| I also removed 2 of her 3 fan leaves, they were touching the soil and I felt those 2 can go. Cutting them felt like cutting a massive thick stem, scary. The 3rd fan leaf is still on. It is supporting the single shute (opposite the missing bit) and it also seems, they grew together. So better leave it where it is.

Some leaves picked:
IMG_1295.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG

After picking and training Day 39:
IMG_1302.JPEG

From this mornings view on Day 40 - 12 hours after prev. photo was taken :p She's loving it.
IMG_1317.JPG

Happy day, the sun is out :love:

Attachments

• IMG_1293.JPG
    IMG_1293.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1297.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 97
UPDATE FIRST DAY OF WEEK 7 - More training & defoliation

Continuing on with the training from last week, she seems to respond well. The top level of shutes (coming from node 4) are still catching up with the bottom level of node 3. Defoliated a little more leaves, also cut off the last remaining fan leaf (of which I thought it grew together with the shute). Since she only has 3 main arms, I am trying to make most use of the room in the pot, so slowly bending the 2 main arms away from the other one.

First day of week 7 in the morning
IMG_1443.JPEG
IMG_1446.JPEG

On the right picture above, you can see the top level arm with a smaller shute coming out. This little one is still behind. So the plan last night was to give this area more light. The green gardening wire didn't seem to hold it down and with my clumsiness, I'm alway afraid I break something while fiddling through the wire. So I decided to bend her down with metal wires.

First day of week 7 in the evening

Before & After Bending
IMG_1521.JPEG
IMG_1525.JPG

The next day in the morning
IMG_1536.JPEG

Having to adjust wires again today. She's finally growing well and reaching the side of the pots. I have studied some more of the journals here, to be prepared for the next steps. Currently I would like for her to grow another 3-4 weeks before I send her into flower. Let's see how this goes.

Happy week everyone

Looks great Steff! I think I need to prune mine more like you are because it's a bit bushy.

Oh hi weenmeoff, I didn't see your post, but now :D I would prune/tidy a little in the middle for better light and airflow, but since it's my first time doing a quad/tri-line, I wouldn't listen to myself... How far along is your plant? She's looking pretty. Have a good day

UPDATE MID-WEEK 7 - More training & defoliation

Playing a game of tying her down in the evening, checking her in the morning, tying down some more and checking her in the evening with some more bending & defoliation. This is how the last days looked like, it's fun and she's growing. What I especially like about this training method is how tidy the plants look in the beginning, all in their place. Currently studying some of the other quadline journals, especially for systematic defoliating, so the middle of the plant can catch up.

Morning bend-down / 12 hours later (Day 43)
IMG_1537.JPEG
IMG_1623.JPEG

Evening defoliation & bend-down (Day 44)
IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG

Morning looks (Day 45)
IMG_1656.JPG

She is growing like wow In regards to defoliating, I try to keep it to a minimum, since I don't want to stress her out too much. Only taking off leaves, that are either blocking the middle-growth or from the site, it is getting really crowded and I don't want too many leaves touching each other, that can't be good. One smaller shute (on the single arm) is still trying to catch up, whereas the same shute on the other arms is growing up high. Not sure what to do with those two, will they be bend down as well? We will see, if anyone has more input, thank you

On another note, I think my tent setup is getting better now too, trying to stay in the recommended VPD areas, installed my InkBird with a de- & humidifier attached. Seems to work well. I'm not sure yet, what and if I will train my two smaller ones, they are Autoflowers and should be starting to flower, once the bigger TRIline lady is sent to flower and 12:12. Depending on the training method, that would mean, they would only have little time to recover and catch up, before I steal couple of hours of light. Is it too risky, should I leave them alone or go ahead and train them a little? Anyone done that before? I know, they won't yield as good and grow to their full potential, but I wanted to try those strains, so... Again, happy to hear your input :)

Happy day ☀️

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPEG
    IMG_1626.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
If your last question is about training autos, I would give it a try. I read the other day that training an auto will keep it in veg mode longer hence a better yield. I only just started growing autos so can't say from experience except that a few that I didn't train are very very low yielders.

Funny and not so funny about my quad which is about a week ahead of you I think, I did a nice prune last night to open her up but I also snapped the end, grrrr! I taped it up but it was wilted this am. I'm not quite down to a tri-line but the main is a gonner.

Here is a pic last night before the prune. I would normally veg another 2-3 weeks in the 1 due to the grow system of use, Doc Buds High Brix Blend of soil/nutes. We veg in 1s until rootbound. I am going to up can once it's dry enough so I can do some real quad training on her, right now I only have the ends tied down.

If your last question is about training autos, I would give it a try. I read the other day that training an auto will keep it in veg mode longer hence a better yield. I only just started growing autos so can't say from experience except that a few that I didn't train are very very low yielders.

Good morning ☀ yes, it was about training autos, but under 12 hours of light only? So at the minute the 2 autos are under the same light as this reg. Blue Dream CBD, but as soon as I flip her, the 2 autos will have to be ok with the same light :)
My plan is to have the autos flower and then flip the regular one to flower as well. I guess I will train them either way, too boring not to. Happy day

Funny and not so funny about my quad which is about a week ahead of you I think, I did a nice prune last night to open her up but I also snapped the end, grrrr! I taped it up but it was wilted this am. I'm not quite down to a tri-line but the main is a gonner.

Here is a pic last night before the prune. I would normally veg another 2-3 weeks in the 1 due to the grow system of use, Doc Buds High Brix Blend of soil/nutes. We veg in 1s until rootbound. I am going to up can once it's dry enough so I can do some real quad training on her, right now I only have the ends tied down.

Oh my, the snapping, I didn't think it would happen that easy, well, no welcome to the TRI-line yet then ;) Never heard of that growing system, sounds interesting. Will check on your journal and look forward seeing her grow more.

ANOTHER UPDATE MID-WEEK 7 - More training & defoliation & rearranging plant layout

The last two days have been another game of bending, defoliating where needed and exposing all bud sides to the light.

Day 46 - Left - before bend-down in the morning || Right - after bend-down
IMG_1674-abhier.JPEG
IMG_1679.JPEG

On each of the left and right arm there is a shute growing quite eagerly (see pink egg-shaped circle on photo upcoming), I didn't know, what to do with him, but he would've overtaken the rest. So I bent him down in between two more side arms. The goal is still to expose and make light available to all smaller bottom buds, right? What would you have done with these eager ones?
IMG_1681-kringel.JPEG

Another question I have, through continuous defoliation and training, more and more really small bud sides are exposed. I have added pink circles to the next photo, to show what I mean. Will they still make it up to the canopy in the next 3 weeks, what do you think? I'm tempted to chop them off...
IMG_1719-kringel.JPG

While training her on that day, I started thinking about how to further grow her, as in which direction (left & right arms seem to be growing better than the single arm) and where to position her in the tent together with the two other plants. The humidifier will be removed from the tent soon, so the ladies in the front have more space.

Here is what I'm currently thinking:
square pink boxes - top one is 60cm wide and 30cm depth; bottom is shared by 2 pink boxes, each 30cm by 30cm.
IMG_1695-tent-setup.JPG

I will need to grow this Blue Dream for another 3 weeks until the bottom two autoflowers are in flower. Until then I can train her and plan how to grow her. If I train the bottom ones depends on much space the top one will need. I have 140 cm in height roughly. Any thoughts?

Finishing this post with some photos from today, on Day 47:
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

Happy weekend ☀

Attachments

• IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    792.8 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom