Blue Dream grow - Purple stems?

urban farmer

420 Member
Hi there, I picked up a Blue Dream clone two months ago with the thought of just having a plant around, but then the bug got me and I invested in a tent setup. I used to grow a bit 15 years ago, so some of it came back to me, but the tech has changed. Especially LED lights! And Coco medium? So great.

Anyway, I had the plant in a 1/2 gallon pot, I placed the rockwool cube in Black Magic potting soil (yeah from Home Depot, but legit!), and moved it around to get sunlight through windows, and most of the time placing it under a light overnight to keep it in veg. It wasn't growing awesomely, but I had fun bending it over and training her a bit, trying to see how low I could keep her. Anyway, I went away two weeks ago and left it near a window to get light, but it also got cold. The cold with the winter light schedule seemed to push it into flower as I got back to see some preflowering. She went to growing 3 leaves as well probably from the stress. A few days later my setup arrived, and I transferred the lady into a 27"x27"x54" tent with a 450W LED lamp. I also transferred her into a 5 gal smart pot.

She wasn't as big as I wanted her to be, so I have the lights on 18/6 on/off now, but yes I know it isn't great to go back to veg as I could risk hermaphroditic traits. I'm hoping she can grow a bit more and then i'll flip to 12/12.

The soil actually seemed pretty good, lots of perlite and pretty airy, and it supposedly comes with good nutrients. Just before I re-potted, the bottom fan leaf stem took on a purple hue, and now that she has grown great under an actual light i'm seeing some new 5 leafed growth, and the trunk blew up with the new big smart pot. It is still a small plant however and i'd like it to fill out more before flowering.

Temps - 64 low, 82 high (my tent is near a glass door so it is susceptible to our recent cold weather. I keep the lights on all night to try to combat low temps, with lights off during peak daytime highs. I recently started using Advanced Nutrients PH perfect micro/grow/bloom solution, and after transferring into the 5 gal pot and giving her great light, she has grown, but turned purple on many different leaf stems. I thought this may be a mag deficiency, but also am wondering about the cold temperatures, or perhaps something else?

Has anyone grown a Blue Dream with purple leaf stems? Advice? I'll upload some pictures for now, and I think i'll just complete this grow and chalk it up to a trial run before I put a couple other girls under this setup from day 1. Thanks.

View from the top, you can see how I bent and topped the plant. This pic is with the veg light only on.
full

Plant top showing preflowers, and now purple stems.....
full

Side view showing how low she is (you can see some weights added to help bend her over)
full

More purple stems showing...
full

Full setup with 450W light on veg only
full

Starting to put her under a net
full

small plant, big pot

full

top does look healthy other than purple
full

Some Strains do that, or some of the phenotypes of a specific Strain (depends how stable genetics is as to how many pheno's one can get of same strain). It can also be a deficiency that can make them purple, but looks pretty healthy to me, but I"m new at it kinda so maybe someone will chime in that knows more. My Blue Widow starts out that way and then goes full on colors once it gets farther along in Flower (depends on temps at night, seems to come out a lot more when it cooler for me, as kind of an ongoing thing with cloning so I'm on like my 4th generation past the original Mother).

Some Strains do that, or some of the phenotypes of a specific Strain (depends how stable genetics is as to how many pheno's one can get of same strain). It can also be a deficiency that can make them purple, but looks pretty healthy to me, but I"m new at it kinda so maybe someone will chime in that knows more. My Blue Widow starts out that way and then goes full on colors once it gets farther along in Flower (depends on temps at night, seems to come out a lot more when it cooler for me, as kind of an ongoing thing with cloning so I'm on like my 4th generation past the original Mother).

Thanks I appreciate the input. I'm hoping it is nothing, and I don't want to do something to correct it that isn't needed! Let's hope it wants to grow a bit more and fill out the tent before flowering.

Growing Blue Dream on my deck in 5 gallon or larger pots. Five healthy plants just transitioning to flower. Leaf stems are turning purple. My research says this is typical of some strains including Blueberry. Blue Dream is a hybrid of Blueberry (crossed with Haze). I'm not worrying, the plants are doing everything they're supposed to. One has "stretched" to over 5'. Happy legal grower in New York.

Growing Blue Dream on my deck in 5 gallon or larger pots. Five healthy plants just transitioning to flower. Leaf stems are turning purple. My research says this is typical of some strains including Blueberry. Blue Dream is a hybrid of Blueberry (crossed with Haze). I'm not worrying, the plants are doing everything they're supposed to. One has "stretched" to over 5'. Happy legal grower in New York.
Hey linny.... Doing some time traveling I see lol this thread is 4 years old aka dead....and hello fellow ny'er

Back
Top Bottom