Blue Dream'matic Comparison Auto Grow Super Soil Vs Promix+ With LSD-25 Auto On The Side

Thank you so much! That will help me not make the same mistake again. Hope you’re fully recovered or getting close to it.
Mostly recovered, but I am finding that this thing is hard to shake and that I have not had my normal energy all week long. It's all good... now it looks like I have an extended vacation to continue resting up.

I have a tall kitchen trash bin that I converted into a dryer by installing a bathroom vent fan to its lid and poking holes all around its sides. The idea was similar to your box... providing me an ability to dry in the dark (even in a lit up tent) and manage the smell into my filtered system either by placing it in the tent or ducting the air out of it into the tent. I had several grows that I got a bit too crispy in this very efficient drying box of mine, and I eventually hit on the idea of just turning on the fan for 2 or 3 minutes every half hour or so. It still was way more efficient than just hanging the cuttings up in an enclosed space, and lately I have decided to dedicate a tent just to this process instead of doing the quick dry. My point here is that we all learn as we go with this thing... just keep working your system until you can get it to work well for you.

Mostly recovered, but I am finding that this thing is hard to shake and that I have not had my normal energy all week long. It's all good... now it looks like I have an extended vacation to continue resting up.

I have a tall kitchen trash bin that I converted into a dryer by installing a bathroom vent fan to its lid and poking holes all around its sides. The idea was similar to your box... providing me an ability to dry in the dark (even in a lit up tent) and manage the smell into my filtered system either by placing it in the tent or ducting the air out of it into the tent. I had several grows that I got a bit too crispy in this very efficient drying box of mine, and I eventually hit on the idea of just turning on the fan for 2 or 3 minutes every half hour or so. It still was way more efficient than just hanging the cuttings up in an enclosed space, and lately I have decided to dedicate a tent just to this process instead of doing the quick dry. My point here is that we all learn as we go with this thing... just keep working your system until you can get it to work well for you.
I’m still working, so I’m going to have to figure out some kind of timer and a separate fan for the box. I’m quite sure they’re going to finish at different times or I’d just hang it all in the tent.

I’m still working, so I’m going to have to figure out some kind of timer and a separate fan for the box. I’m quite sure they’re going to finish at different times or I’d just hang it all in the tent.
There are several brands of smart plugs out there now... I use WYZE plugs here in the USA and using that system I could turn them on and off every minute if need be. Any fan will work... even a cheap inline duct fan.

There are several brands of smart plugs out there now... I use WYZE plugs here in the USA and using that system I could turn them on and off every minute if need be. Any fan will work... even a cheap inline duct fan.
Thanks for that. I just ordered pair of WYZE plugs and a cheap in line fan. The fan should be fine since the main knocks on it was it doesn’t move the advertised 195cfm, but that’s perfect for this. So is running for 3 minutes every half hour sound ok?

@Emilya - Is there a jar size, and/or fill % you recommend for the extended curing/burping phase?
I use the large 1800ml/7quart Ball jars and prefer the darkened glass. I try to fill them no more than 2/3 full so that I can shake the buds around at the end so they don't clump together.

Day 60:

Not much to see or report. Checked trichomes today while all three plants got watered and fed 5 g/gal MC. No real amber yet other than the odd one or two on the LSD and Blue in FFOF. LSD-25 plant continues to look absolutely pitiful. Even new, green growth becomes spotted and ugly looking after a bit. I really hope to pull her down soon since I'm tired and embarrassed to look at her any more. Blue in ProMix getting MC still looks green and healthy and her flowers are slowly maturing and starting to finally have her pistils turn brown and curling in. Her calyces are fatter than the other two but still lots of white pistils and no amber trichomes, so she's still got a ways.

Just one pic. I still love the flowers on the healthiest Blue Dream'matic. Her top calyces are pure white and she has lots of pretty colors starting to become more prominent.

IMG_0998.jpg

Happy growing everyone!

Thanks for the heads up - I'm having the same conditions with my Panama Red grow. Some pistils are brown and turning in while others are still white (no new ones from what I can see) - can't see that the trichomes are cloudy yet; certainly not amber - Leaves are turning brown, and spotted - This grow is at the beginning of week 10 of flowering in an 8-12 week time to harvest.

It's hard to wait. My last grow I harvested when it was mostly cloudy with just maybe 5-10% amber. It's plenty strong, but not much of that body effect that I can tell. I'm going to wait as long as I can until I see more amber if I can. I have insomnia and a body stone would help.

Day 67:

Well it's getting late and I've either totally misread my plants need or its just that normal chlorosis that happens right before full maturity, but my healthiest Blue Dream so far has turned awfully yellow. The LSD25 just looks awful still. I redid the soil slurry test and got 6.5, but it hasn't helped her health.

I also found out that my temp sensor that displays on the wall outside the temp is off by about 7-8 degrees. So when I've been seeing 80F as a top temp, it has been closer to 87-88. Humidity reads high on the other hand, so humidity has been in the 40's. I do think that all three plants have suffered from heat stress. They'll all make it, and the end is soon (I saw at least a few amber on all three this afternoon). This has been a tough grow and I certainly think that next time I need a bigger exhaust system and a taller tent to keep temps under control. I also think I'm going to stick with FFOF and Megacrop only on my next attempt.

Pics:
Flowers on the Blue in FFOF are getting mature:

IMG_1006.jpg

She definitely has a lot of flower and you can see a lot of leaf curling on the upper leaves. Heat stress?:

IMG_1010.jpg

Blue in Pro Mix turning yellow. Lots of leaf curling and turning crispy from heat stress:

IMG_1007.jpg

She has huge colas:

IMG_1008.jpg

Then there's the LSD-25. I still don't know if it was heat, pH, over or under feeding or some of all.

IMG_1009.jpg

I'm looking forward to finishing these up. I've had to close my business for two weeks due to this virus. My employees are both worried and so we closed to get past the predicted peak. Our area only has a few cases, but the media has scared everyone away from going out, so I'll have some time to harvest, trim and get the drying process started if they finish up next week.

Happy growing everyone!

88º and 40% RH puts you pretty far into the red on the VPD chart, so that could certainly be showing up as a stressed plant. Those temps would require mid 60s RH for best transpiration.

On the plus side, the buds are fat!

Well I just did a thing. I removed the single board light, leaving the double QB288 board centered in the tent. Specs say this board should be adequate for flowering a 2x4 tent. With all the heat stress, I wish I'd left it this way in the beginning. I couldn't get the LUX to be consistent across three plants with this board alone, but the heat was always out of control with 3. Even with the intensity turned down. So now after a couple of hours, the temp is 77F (25c) and the humidity is 53%. At least a bit better. This late, I don't think it matters, but if I run three again, I'll just rotate their spot in the tent.

Looking at the burned up leaves of the LSD-25, if you bend them down and expose where they were covered by flower and that part is green. All the leaves in the interior of the plant look green and healthy. I clearly need to get a taller tent, a bigger fan or both.

Typically with oscillating fans convective cooling leaf temps are -2F, here is a nice range to stay in that narrows that vpd chart a bit. Keeping in mind above 80F you start to inhibit flavonoid and terpene profile formation.
I’ve been using FFOF and love it.
A67BDEAE-0F2B-44D6-ADCB-B65D031FC0BE.jpeg

Even though I've taken out a light, I still have to have the window AC going constantly to keep the tent at or below 77. I can see that summer growing isn't going to be a thing for me. I'm going to have to start back up in the fall or I'll really have temp problems. I need to get a taller tent so the heat can rise further away from the plants. Mars Hydro has one that is 12" taller, but if the fabric is the same as on my Mars Hydro 27"x27" I don't want that. They call it 1680D, but that isn't what it is. The only other tall 2'x4' that I've seen is Gorilla, but man it is twice as much or more. Are there any other good choices?

Folks, I need your opinion. This LSD-25 plant just looks horrible. All the colas have nothing but dead, brittle leaves coming off them. There is fresh green growth on the interior parts of the plant, but everything exposed to the light is just dead looking. The flowers themselves look ok, they are a dark purple which is typical of this strain, the pistils are mostly retracted, but there are very few amber trichomes. The trichomes haven't changed much in the past week and are mostly cloudy with a few clear and a very few amber. Should I pull this thing down or keep waiting for more amber?

I'm ashamed to even post this, but here are a couple of pics.

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

New growth is still happening a bit down low. It seems every bit that gets direct light dies. I have only the one light now and this plant gets less than 30K LUX at the tops, so I don't get this.

IMG_1012.jpg

Pull it? Wait? Throw it away? Make hash with it? I have not had much luck with the ProMix. My strongest plant is also turning yellow where the light hits the leaves on the cola. The only plant that hasn't shown much light/heat stress is the one in FFOF. I'm sure it's my fault, but my first grow using FFOF and Fox Farm nutrients went much easier than this has been. I think the FFOF has more room for error.

Since the LSD-25 is already an indica, you don't need to wait for a lot amber to get a good body stone, so taking it at peak cloudy (and peak THC) is a good idea. You could also take off all the top parts and let the bottom grow on, as a partial harvest.

Trim it tight and it will make you forget what it looked like before harvest!
Thanks for that! That's the inspiration I need to pull her down tomorrow. I'm tired of locking at her. Thanks for all your help on this grow. I appreciate it greatly!

Back
Top Bottom