Blue281's Soil Northern Light & Sweet Train Wreck Grow 2017

Day 29
Just a little update, the Northern Lights is finally doing some catching up and is now not far of the same height as the Sweet Train Wreck but is way bushier as you can see in the pictures below.

Northern Lights

IMG_043535.JPG

Sweet Train Wreck

IMG_043437.JPG

Both

IMG_043342.JPG

Northern Light Automatic by Royal Qeen Seeds is actually Northern Lights #5 x Lowryder#2. Great plant! Here is mine at week 7:

Totally fucked up with soil and nutes, but she is fighting. Smell ranges from rotten fruits to baby butt. When you squeeze the bud, it punches you in the face with a very fruity bouquet. I hope she will survive 2 more weeks.

This RQN NL Auto is also pregnant. Got dusted with this handsome male.

Hey Blue, just subbed to your journal :) I'm also growing NL auto from Royal Queen and yours looks amazing! Mine is absolutely tiny in comparison and growing incredibly slowly. I think it's mainly because I've had lighting and heat issues from the start but damn man, mine's about 30 days old and is still a little seedling! Even the first set of true leaves were about one third the size of yours even before they shrivelled up. Obviously yours are enjoying your LEDs :)

Blue281's - Soil - Northern Light & Sweet Train Wreck Grow - 2017

Northern Light Automatic by Royal Qeen Seeds is actually Northern Lights #5 x Lowryder#2. Great plant! Here is mine at week 7:

I did not know that, I'm guessing the lowryder is just there for the ruderails to make the Northern Lights an auto.

Totally fucked up with soil and nutes, but she is fighting. Smell ranges from rotten fruits to baby butt. When you squeeze the bud, it punches you in the face with a very fruity bouquet. I hope she will survive 2 more weeks

This RQN NL Auto is also pregnant. Got dusted with this handsome male.

That's a bit of a pain, I've had some slight nute issuses but just where I've been a bit careful not to burn her and haven't actually been feeding her enough. Are you growing mainly for the seed harvest?

Hey Blue, just subbed to your journal :) I'm also growing NL auto from Royal Queen and yours looks amazing! Mine is absolutely tiny in comparison and growing incredibly slowly. I think it's mainly because I've had lighting and heat issues from the start but damn man, mine's about 30 days old and is still a little seedling! Even the first set of true leaves were about one third the size of yours even before they shrivelled up. Obviously yours are enjoying your LEDs :)

Hello, thanks for the kind words! I'd defiantly recommend LED to anyone for several reasons but heat control being one of the top on the list. I don't think I could grow in my space and be able to control the heat with anything else. What are you growing under?

Re: Blue281's - Soil - Northern Light & Sweet Train Wreck Grow - 2017

Yes, Lowryder #2 was only used to infuse the auto gene to NL #5. I had only one seed of NL AUTO but I want to make more. Made a little sacrifice to the yield and pollinated her with another auto variety Royal Dane x Diesel Ryder (IBL). If she make it to the end, I will try to pop those seeds in the spring and will continue to look for NL dominant phenotypes to cross even further.

Good luck with your grow, will continue to watch this thread ;)

Re: Blue281's - Soil - Northern Light & Sweet Train Wreck Grow - 2017

Yes, Lowryder #2 was only used to infuse the auto gene to NL #5. I had only one seed of NL AUTO but I want to make more, cause seeds are not sold in our country. Made a little sacrifice to the yield and pollinated her with another auto variety Royal Dane x Diesel Ryder (IBL). If she make it to the end, I will try to pop those seeds in the spring and will continue to look for NL dominant phenotypes to cross even further.

Good luck with your grow, will continue to watch this thread ;)

That's fair enough, Should have plenty of seeds soon then :D.

Cheers mate! Hopefully I'll be yielding 8-10 ounces dry weight between both plants :D

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hello, thanks for the kind words! I'd defiantly recommend LED to anyone for several reasons but heat control being one of the top on the list. I don't think I could grow in my space and be able to control the heat with anything else. What are you growing under?

Yeah, I've heard they're really good. I just wish they weren't so expensive! At the moment I'm growing under 2x 30w CFLs but I was growing them under 2ft 4-way T5s @ 96w. I couldn't believe how much heat they generated, and obviously it was all directed downwards onto the plants. I'm gonna put them up again probably tomorrow, but I'm so worried about it, even with the 4" inline fan I bought!

So do LEDs generate any heat at all? The problem I face with them aside from the cost is that apparently you have to position them quite far above your plants and my tent is only a meter tall.

Yeah, I've heard they're really good. I just wish they weren't so expensive! At the moment I'm growing under 2x 30w CFLs but I was growing them under 2ft 4-way T5s @ 96w. I couldn't believe how much heat they generated, and obviously it was all directed downwards onto the plants. I'm gonna put them up again probably tomorrow, but I'm so worried about it, even with the 4" inline fan I bought!

They are quite pricey for an initial investment but I'd say it's worth it. Not going to lie but I don't know allot about other lighting, with me only on my 4th ever grow and only ever using LED.

Could you not also use some kind of vented hood to remove some of the heat from the light?

So do LEDs generate any heat at all? The problem I face with them aside from the cost is that apparently you have to position them quite far above your plants and my tent is only a meter tall.

The light itself is only slightly warm to touch however I have a 6" fan that is connected to a heat sensor that kicks in when it does get to warm. The fan kicks in for about 15 minutes of each hour.

You need to position LED's 18 inches above the plants but with some LST and a scrog set up you can keep the plants reasonably short :)

Yeah I'm definitely going to be doing some LST given the amount of space I have! I was just looking at LED lights on amazon and actually some are like half off which is pretty cool. Oh well, I might consider them for future grows but for the moment I'll probably stick to my T5s :) Hmm...vented hood. If there was a way to directly suck the heat out of the T5 unit and out of my tent that would be amazing but at the moment I don't think it's possible with the type of unit I have. That's a great idea though. If they made a unit with some kind of device like that it would be a godsend for me!!

That's really cool that you have a sensor that detects the heat! At least then you don't have to worry about timers so much.

Day 35

Both the plants are doing pretty good, the Northern Lights has really played catch up now and is the same size as the Sweer Train Wreck. I've now worked my way up to full strength nutrients plus I've added 4ml of big bud. I've also ordered a KSA 150mm box fan as mine is to loud. Also the KSA I can dim to 20% once the lights are out so I wouldn't need my other 2 in line fans, so I'll run less power overall.

IMG_047346.JPG

Hey Blue, those are looking great! It's funny because I'm on day 33 I think so we're practically at the same age but what a huge difference in our plants! I saw my first few pistils today so I'm super excited but it's crazy because my plant is still less than 4" tall haha. I've uploaded pics to my journal. Anyway have fun with the grow! :circle-of-love:

Day 40
Sweet Train Wreck is piling on the bud now! Smells amazing, really fruity. The Northern Lights hasn't produced much bud yet still just the pistils. I'm not to worried tho as when I grew a White Widow by Royal Queen seeds the bud didn't start forming properly until the 6th week and still yeilded over 4 ounces dried. Still got some slight nitrogen deficiencies slowly effecting the lower leaves however I'm not worried as they won't need much nitrogen soon.

IMG_049441.JPG

Day 46

So the rapid growth of the Northern Lights has shocked me a little. It's now reached a point where the difference in height is so big that I've had to raise the Sweet Train Wreck so that it's still within 18 inches of the light. Also the Sweet Train Wreck has shown a calcium deficiency so I've just flushed her with 3 litres of water, 6ml of CalMag which has been Ph'd to 6.5, so hopefully this will prevent the deficiency getting any worst.

IMG_051849.JPG

Hello 123D, not great tbh, the calcium deficiency hit way to quickly and has taken over allot of the sweet train wreck. (Luckily not the bud) Hopefully I've sorted it and doesn't effect anything else but it's really stunned her growth, she should be coming down next week but will have to wait and see. The Northern Lights on the other hand is doing pretty well, it's suppose to come down in two weeks but I've got a feeling she's going to need a little longer :)

Hey Blue, I hope your sweet train wreck turns out okay! I'm really interested in how your NL is doing because I'm growing NL autos and they're always surprising me! Probably mainly because it's my first EVER grow though lol. How old is yours? Mine have just reached 49 days and one is in week 3 of flowering. The other has only just started flowering a couple of days ago so looks like I'll be harvesting one before the other. I'm not sure if I've had the 'flowering stretch' yet in my biggest girl. Mine certainly isn't as big as yours!

Back
Top Bottom