Blueberry Slushy And Magical Cookies Auto Grow: Powered By The BESTVA Pro4000 Light

Hello Everybody! It's time for me to do another journal. Now that the comparative grow is completed I find I'm missing doing my regular updates. I sincerely hope everyone will follow along, ask questions, share ideas and photos of your plants and grows. Let's jump right in here and tell you what's going on.

I was contacted by Rick from @BESTVA LED and asked if I would be interested in doing a grow journal using one of their relatively new Pro4000 series lights. As I was preparing to do an auto flower run in my 3' x 3' grow tent I thought it would be a great fit and have plenty of power drawing 415 watts from the wall. Now I won't do a sponsored grow with just any light because let's face it we can only do so few grows in a year I don't want to do one under an inferior quality light. So before I said yes I did my research and was very pleased with the components used and the design and build of the light. I'll go into more detail as I go along. The whole beginning of this journal is all about the sponsored light. I want to share the results of my research. If at any time during the duration of this journal you would like to purchase one of these exact lights contact me via PM and I can share with you a code that will take 15% off the retail price.

This week UPS dropped off the Bestva Pro400 and I was pleased to see that the box was not a billboard advertising what's inside.

The light fixture itself was protected very well with foam and the corner protectors were a nice touch. I proceeded to cut open the packaging and removed the light.

Upon lifting the light out of the box I immediately noticed the weight of the light. Heavier then any other light I have used to date. Two things caught my eye right away and that was the thickness of the heat sink and that the fixture has two drivers. So my thought process is that the thick heat sink should allow the light to run cooler as it will dissipate heat better and the dual drivers should allow each to run cooler thus helping the fixture to run cooler. But I will be the first to admit I am no expert on anything electronic or electric.

One of the things that made doing this grow journal with the Bestva light a no brainer was their 420 rep Rick. He and I talked about this journal and I asked him what he wanted me to do if I saw aspects of the light that I felt could be improved upon and I was real pleased when he said to post them right here in the journal. He said he is not an expert either and if there were changes his company could make that would make the light better for growers he definitely wanted to know about it. So I am curious about the weight of the light (20 lbs +/-) and about the use of 2 drivers. Rick @BESTVA LED welcome, and what can you share with us?

Once the light was unboxed it was time to get it hung up. And here I ran into my first snag with the light. I absolutely love the way the hangers attach to the top of the light but as you can see in the photo having 4 different cables running to a single central hook from which the light is hung lost me 15" of height between the top of the light and the top of the tent. In other words with the light raised all the way up it would stop about 18" from the top of the tent. Not a problem if you have a really tall tent or really short plants. But the light also wanted to turn from that single central connection. See what I mean in this photo here.

I have already mentioned this to Rick with Bestva and they will be looking into this. This really isn't an uncommon problem just maybe a little more pronounced with this fixture out of the box. But it was an easy fix that most of us could do but it would be nice to one day open a light and the hanging system was such that it maximized the use of the tent height however tall the tent may be.

I fixed this by running a cable on both the left side and the right side from the front to the back with the cables just long enough to make it and then used an adjustable hanger on each side. Worked like a charm and I can get maximum height with the light now. After the quick fix I got the light hung in the tent, set the dimmer knob to zero and turned on the light. Slowly I increased the intensity and was extremely pleased with the dispersion of light. This light will do a fantastic job in this 3x3 tent.

Initially when I installed the light I placed three of the four plants for the grow journal in it and got out my Lux meter to take some readings and get the dimmer set where I wanted it. Take a look.

So now the light is all set up, the plants are in and the journal is live. Before I move on to the plants let me share some technical data with you about this light. I know there are guys and gals on here who have a vast knowledge of LED lights. Please share your thoughts on this light based on the information here. This info is from the Bestva web site.

SAMSUNG LED& MEAN WELL Driver​

Highly efficient SAMSUNG LM301B up to 230lm/W powered by Mean Well HLG series Driver provides minimum loss of power and long-life. We use a 3mm thickness aluminum plate radiator for better heat dissipation. Holes on the aluminum plate and the glass make heat convection, run 50~60℉ lower than any other LEDs

If you are interested in learning more about this light here is a direct link to this light on the Bestva site.
BESTVA Pro 4000W Dimmable Full Spectrum Quantum LED Grow Light 6x6.5 ft Coverage Max PPFD 3015 µmol/m2/s for Indoor Hydroponic Plants Growing

I am skipping to page two to talk very briefly about the plants I am running in this journal.

Those of you who know me a bit know that I have for a while now been transitioning from growing mostly photoperiodic plants to growing auto flowering plants. The more I read about them and the more research I did I felt compelled to delve deeper into the mystery that is the auto cannabis plant. Even to this day the myths persist that autos lack potency, that autos are poor yielding plants, that autos lack terpenes, and that autos are more difficult to grow because they are too finicky. Well there are so many positive things about growing autos I had to give them a fair shot. I started by putting together a modest collection of top quality auto flowering seeds. I am now set up to grow some autos and will be putting this new @BESTVA LED light to the test on a small group of autos I have running. I am not permitted to mention the name of the breeder only the strain names.

In the back left corner is the oldest of the four autos I'm growing. It is in a 3 gallon @GeoPot and growing in ProMix BX. The strain is called Blueberry Slushy and it's one that excites me because one of it's parents is Terple one of my favorite photo strains. In the front left and back right are Magical Cookies V1.2 who has Cookies n Chem as one of it's parents. And the plant in the front right that just sprouted yesterday is a strain called Sour Livers. I was at a local nursery recently and discovered they are getting ready to go out of business this fall. I came home with the back of my jeep filled with really good plastic pots one of which is in the picture. It is a Pecan tree pot, probably holds about 5 gallons of ProMix. This is an experiment to see how an auto grows in a tall not so narrow pot. Anyway here is the first plant picture of this new journal. This journal will run until the Sour Livers in the front right is harvested so you will get to see all four of these plants grown till harvest and get to see what I replace the three older plants with as they're harvested. It should be a lot of fun and hopefully a good learning experience for me and anyone else who wants to follow along. I ask PLEASE for the auto growers on here to offer advice and suggestions whenever you see me screwing something up.

Those of you who know me a bit know that I have for a while now been transitioning from growing mostly photoperiodic plants to growing auto flowering plants. The more I read about them and the more research I did I felt compelled to delve deeper into the mystery that is the auto cannabis plant. Even to this day the myths persist that autos lack potency, that autos are poor yielding plants, that autos lack terpenes, and that autos are more difficult to grow because they are too finicky. Well there are so many positive things about growing autos I had to give them a fair shot. I started by putting together a modest collection of top quality auto flowering seeds. I am now set up to grow some autos and will be putting this new @BESTVA LED light to the test on a small group of autos I have running. I am not permitted to mention the name of the breeder only the strain names.

In the back left corner is the oldest of the four autos I'm growing. It is in a 3 gallon @GeoPot and growing in ProMix BX. The strain is called Blueberry Slushy and it's one that excites me because one of it's parents is Terple one of my favorite photo strains. In the front left and back right are Magical Cookies V1.2 who has Cookies n Chem as one of it's parents. And the plant in the front right that just sprouted yesterday is a strain called Sour Livers. I was at a local nursery recently and discovered they are getting ready to go out of business this fall. I came home with the back of my jeep filled with really good plastic pots one of which is in the picture. It is a Pecan tree pot, probably holds about 5 gallons of ProMix. This is an experiment to see how an auto grows in a tall not so narrow pot. Anyway here is the first plant picture of this new journal. This journal will run until the Sour Livers in the front right is harvested so you will get to see all four of these plants grown till harvest and get to see what I replace the three older plants with as they're harvested. It should be a lot of fun and hopefully a good learning experience for me and anyone else who wants to follow along. I ask PLEASE for the auto growers on here to offer advice and suggestions whenever you see me screwing something up.

Congratulations on the new rig! I'll follow along, I also agree with everything you said about autoflowers!

could you show the coverage of the Pro 4000W ? #bestvaled

could you show the coverage of the Pro 4000W ?
Happy to help, how is it you would like to see me do this? I've already provided pictures showing the light intensity in three corners of the tent measured by my Lux meter.

Today we are experiencing the remnants of Hurricane Ida as she passes through my area. Lots of rain but actually it was badly needed. The winds were not as bad as was forecast thank goodness. My autos have been under the new @BESTVA LED now for over a week and looking at them I have to say they're loving it. Right now the dimmer is set at approximately 70% of full strength.

Today we are experiencing the remnants of Hurricane Ida as she passes through my area. Lots of rain but actually it was badly needed. The winds were not as bad as was forecast thank goodness. My autos have been under the new @BESTVA LED now for over a week and looking at them I have to say they're loving it. Right now the dimmer is set at approximately 70% of full strength.

Looking great beez0404! :thumb:

Congratulations, that new title looks great by your name (and wow, hats off on that plant)!

Can you believe it's been three whole days since my last post here? That day the three flowering girls were given a little treat with some Recharge in their nutrient solution. Oh, and I haven't touched on that yet I just reminded myself. :rofl: I wanted to mention that the plants are being fed 3 grams per gallon of their nutrients. I don't believe I can post the name of the nutrient company here. Hopefully I am mistaken about that and someone will correct me. I use the same nutrients for my photo plants and have fed them as much as 6.5 grams per gallon so these autos are getting less then 1/2 that amount. Rick from @BESTVA LED suggested I add more plants to my tent to better show the coverage of the Pro4000 light. What do you guys think? Would that be helpful and would it show you better the coverage of the light?

I snapped a couple pictures of the girls this morning. The three flowering girls are coming along nicely. The Blueberry Slushy in the back left was topped above the 4th node. The Magic Cookies V 1.2 in the front left and back right are growing au natural. The seedling in the pecan tree pot is in this tent so I can see how a young plant responds to this amount of light. So far so good with her.

Here is a photo of a new photoperiod strain I am growing. It is called 5 Killer Cookies with the lineage of Cookies n Chem X Killer A5 Haze. She sprouted on 8/16 making her 17 days old today. She has already been topped above her 4th node and is growing quite vigorously. Call it a hunch but I believe this is going to produce some potent flowers. This plant is currently enjoying her 3 gallon fabric pot and her @Prescription Blend nutrients leftover from the Girl Scout Cookies comparative grow. I should have enough to grow this plant through harvest without having to break out a new kit. I'm going to have to figure out what to do with her thought as she is starting to shade my four auto seedlings. So she may be destined for my homemade grow box and a blurple light. :rolleyes:

Can you believe it's been three whole days since my last post here? That day the three flowering girls were given a little treat with some Recharge in their nutrient solution. Oh, and I haven't touched on that yet I just reminded myself. :rofl: I wanted to mention that the plants are being fed 3 grams per gallon of their nutrients. I don't believe I can post the name of the nutrient company here. Hopefully I am mistaken about that and someone will correct me. I use the same nutrients for my photo plants and have fed them as much as 6.5 grams per gallon so these autos are getting less then 1/2 that amount. Rick from @BESTVA LED suggested I add more plants to my tent to better show the coverage of the Pro4000 light. What do you guys think? Would that be helpful and would it show you better the coverage of the light?

I snapped a couple pictures of the girls this morning. The three flowering girls are coming along nicely. The Blueberry Slushy in the back left was topped above the 4th node. The Magic Cookies V 1.2 in the front left and back right are growing au natural. The seedling in the pecan tree pot is in this tent so I can see how a young plant responds to this amount of light. So far so good with her.

Wow they're looking great, and I have to be honest- I think you have a good number of plants in there.

For many who haven't grown before, the thought that more is better is prevalent. Those that have grown, know that too many in a tight space can cause problems for the grow and risk loosing product, or having subpar harvests.

Especially on a sponsored grow, the manufacturers place a certain trust in a grower to showcase their products, just as we trust them to not place unsafe products in our homes. That trust is based upon an understanding of each other's strengths. Just as you had faith that his product wouldn't burn your home, he needs to have faith that he's chosen well (which he did!!) and your choice has his best interest at heart.

In your situation, I think you choose well in the plant count for the space.

Wow they're looking great, and I have to be honest- I think you have a good number of plants in there.
Thank you for your input @Rexer . Obviously the seedling in the pecan tree pot is in there for my own education. The other three are not finished growing and stretching yet. I expect they are going to fill the space quite nicely. Especially the two untopped Magical Cookies V1.2 plants that I am expecting some side branching on before it's all over. If I cram the tent full the plants wouldn't reach their full size potential.

Damn Beez, you always grow lovely plants and that 5KC is no exception! With that kind of lineage it’s bound to be a heavy hitter in the potency department. It’ll be interesting to see how long she flowers for and what kind of stretch she puts on. Both parents stretch pretty good, so be prepared for that..

Have you ever grown a strain for the very first time and as it's growing you think to yourself what a beautiful plant and you say "She is going to produce top quality flowers" ?? Well I've got one going now I'm feeling that way about. The strain is Blueberry Slushy auto and she is 40 days old in this photo. The only training I did was to top her once. I will do a little LST to spread her out a bit more for better light penetration.

I have to say so far she is LOVING the @BESTVA LED Pro4000 light. Her leaves are raised up towards the light which I love to see.

I thought I would share an update today of my Blueberry Slushy and Magical Cookies auto girls. Someone had mentioned I should raise the @BESTVA LED light up higher and that the autos would stretch and that proved to be the case. Not a monumental amount of stretch but they are getting taller. I think that the Blueberry Slushy in the back left corner of the tent might be finished stretching. The other two though seem like they might have a little stretch left in them. Thus far I am very pleased with this Bestva Pro 4000 light. The dimmer feature I have set at around 80% and at that setting achieves the Lux level needed for these flowering girls. So they're getting the light they want and need and I get to save a little electricity having it dimmed a little.

I thought I would share an update today of my Blueberry Slushy and Magical Cookies auto girls. Someone had mentioned I should raise the @BESTVA LED light up higher and that the autos would stretch and that proved to be the case. Not a monumental amount of stretch but they are getting taller. I think that the Blueberry Slushy in the back left corner of the tent might be finished stretching. The other two though seem like they might have a little stretch left in them. Thus far I am very pleased with this Bestva Pro 4000 light. The dimmer feature I have set at around 80% and at that setting achieves the Lux level needed for these flowering girls. So they're getting the light they want and need and I get to save a little electricity having it dimmed a little.

that's the dimming function ,save some electricity fee :cheer:

Journal update for today for the Blueberry Slushy and Magic Cookies V1.2 girls. These there plants are just absolutely loving life under the @BESTVA LED Pro 4000 light. I raised the light as high as it would go in the tent and adjusted the Lux intensity to 60,000 Lux and they're loving it. I think this is a perfect light for a 3x3 tent. May be a little underpowered for a 4x4 light mostly because of the footprint the corners would not receive the same quality of light as the center portion of the tent under the light. The two Magical Cookies have stretched nicely catching up to the height of the Blueberry Slushy. The Sour Livers in that tall Pecan tree pot had a hiccup early on but she has now grown out of it and is starting to grow. Here are a few photos.

Grow Journal update for today 9/17. The @BESTVA LED Pro 4000 did such an amazing job with the plant that were growing under it I feel compelled to swap them out for my new run of autos. In this group are the following Fast Buds autoflower strains available from our sponsor @Dope-Seeds . First up is my Strawberry Pie which came from the very last Strawberry Pie seed I had. Because of that I have already begun treating this plant with colloidal silver in the hopes of making some S1 seeds as this is a really nice strain. The other three strains are Purple Punch, Gorilla Cookies, and Bruce Banner. All four of these strains are hard hitters especially the Gorilla Cookies with a THC content of up to 27%.

These plants are eventually destined for 7 gallon fabric pots and will be moved (when too big for this tent) into my new 4x4 tent. My goal is to make more of the Strawberry Pie auto seeds and cross the Strawberry Pie to the other three auto strains to make some auto cross seeds. Here now are the photos taken today with the girls at sprout +21 days old.

Back
Top Bottom