Bluter Gets Schooled Hempy Style Winter 2018

after i got the little ones sorted, i turned my attention to this salad

full

guest strain
black indica
: if it isn't 100% indica it must be close. this pheno is very special to me. it's a clone from a plant that tested 15% thc/8% cbd. it's the plant that i've been getting the canna pills for adhd from. it literally helped turn me around to a far more positive direction about 4 yrs ago. i owe it a lot. the original grower knew what i was up to and gifted them knowing what they had accomplished for me.

i set up more hempy cups, and made sure to flush the heck out of them until i was happy with the run off ph. then pulled out the clone gel.

full

is it wrong to look at this and think hmmmm, little cbd in the lunch salad lol

full

thought i'd show the simple sifter i made to separate the flour out of the vermiculite and perlite. just an old laundry bottle cut open with a hunk of mosquito screen duct taped on the bottom. works decent and removes a lot of the material you don't want.

full

from the bottom

full

wear a mask when sifting this stuff. the flour kicks up in the air and can't be all that lung friendly.

must be off. will finish the update in a bit..

black indica clones settling in to a new home. if everyone takes i'm gonna be really pressed for room. may have to gift a couple off.

full

the clones got the weak nute solution right off the bat.

everyone all together

full

i lifted the seedlings, lowered the light to 30" above them, and increased the intensity to about 65%. domed up the clones. the deep drip trays are really handy.

current conditions

full

update in a couple days.

keep farming everyone :green_heart:

day 8
everyone got a water with weak nutes today. .03 ml each of the micro / grow / bloom and cal-mag in 8L of water ph'd down to 5.3 from a start of 5.6. i wanted to start lower as everyone had spiked again. figgered if it's going to roam upwards i'd let it come through the range. was shooting for about 15 - 20 ppm and wound up at 13. good enough.

the black indica clones were looking a little grumpy and thirsty over all.

full

they've lost a little color but are still hanging in. there was still moisture in the media, but the reservoirs were dry. the run off tested a whopping 7.7 to 7.9. simply watered them til i got the run off back to 5.5 - 5.6.

the clones are gonna get straight ro water tomorrow at 9 ppm. the ph settled naturally at 5.58 24 hrs after filter. kinda happy. the ppm might come down a bit too as the new ro membrane flushes out.

the seedlings actually fared better. the run off from the seedlings was at 6.3 to 6.5. at the higher end but not in the danger zone. the reservoirs were also dry, but again the media was still holding water. not sure what to think, wasn't expecting so much evaporation this fast, and yet it seems like it should be drier at the same time.

followed the same formula and just slowly watered them out til got a run off ph between 5.5 - 5.6 on them all.

the tall cbdream took a confident turn to the light and looks happy for a tiny one :)

full

the little cbdream is still hanging on to the shell skin on it's cotyledon. if it was a little more robust i'd try take it off. it's sooo tiny, makes me wonder lol

full

helmet head worked it out on her own and looks way better for it

full

the shy one is having an early awkward stage

full

the cotyledons are really messed up on this poor girl. but she's with us. will leave her and the rest be and see in a couple days.

conditions continue pretty stable in the space. fan is running full time to keep the humidity from creeping up.

full

keeping everyone domed for now the same as before

full

update in a couple days.

keep farming :green_heart:

:peace:

hey 420 gang how's it going ? we are

day 10

i think i am officially concerned ...:oops: i am continuing to have steep ph trouble. everything climbed well over 7, most near 8.

once again i slowly watered everything back down 5.6 to 5.7. i left some ro water untouched for 24 hrs after filter and then tested it, to find the water itself is spiking 3 points. the stuff i buffered didn't run so high, but it climbed enough that ph'ing it down would have pulled my ppm above acceptable levels. not real sure whats going on. i've been filtering smaller amounts and using it right away as a result.

the black indica clones up and yellowed deep. i cut the worst of the dead/dying stuff off, and only hope there's enough left to pull one or two along.

full

there was still some green at the tops but at this point i might be watering sticks :rolleyes:

they get watered everyday. straight water one day ph'd to 5.5, weak nute solution the next at 5.6 / 5,7. ppm is 7-9 and 13 - 16 respectively. nutes even combo of cal-mag and the AN trio.

the seedlings fared a little better

full

everyone's running for the light which is a good sign. they're looking a bit pale to me and one of the cbdream is really having it tough.

full

not so sure that one's pulling through. guessing it's suffocating. not sure it can take the watering to get the ph down. or i'm wrong and it's the high ph or something else lol

at least if the other three go they'll actually fit in the space.. :)

the seedlings are watered every second day with the weak nute solution. plan for now is just keep with the same.

room conditions remain the same

full

not sure to keep with the schedule, or back off. day to day right now.

hi 420 we are

day 20

super depressed. everything disastered. so upset i couldn't even post.

work and a 2 day snowstorm kept me from the plants. over that time everything keeled. by the time i found out there wasn't much left to save. essentially everything stopped, then literally went banana yellow in a 12 hr period and began necrotizing. the caretakers uncertain of what to do just kept adding more water trying to flush, likely compounding the issue.

did not have much hope but mounted an all out rescue mission. figgered they were suffocating to start. originally went with a 2:1 perlite to vermiculite mix that was recommended local. thank god for @TorturedSoul 's comments, i kept them in the back of my head and used that to inform my next decisions. we are entering winter and that normally means cold and dry, the extra vermiculite was meant to keep moisture wicking to the roots. never going that route again. they started fine then simply stalled or halted. other issues are present as well.

to correct i did a 4:1 perlite/vermiculite mix and up potted to the 5L buckets. not an easy process with seedlings so tiny and fragile. the hempy cups weren't going to work at all. that was the first lesson. if i press on with this method i'll be going into the 5L pots right from seed in the future.

asked for help in prepping the buckets from the caretaker to save time. they went and drilled the buckets wrong. great, replaced them and corrected. asked if they would pre sift some extra perlite so i would have enough. they sifted the vermiculite instead. lost an extra day fixing everything while stuff was dying. there's another lesson in there. lol.

once i got the seedlings to the 5L pots i turned my attention to ph and cal-mag issues.

i can't keep ph stable. it races to neutral - ph 7 - or above in 12 hrs or less. really having it with this one. i'm certain it's the water. after ro i get a nice ph of 5.8 - 5.9 natural. an hour or two later it's at 6 to 6.5. adding buffer only slows the process a little. i'm using GH ph down, used it before and have never seen this happen. it used to stay stable for days, now i can't get hours out of it. getting it to a safe zone is spiking my ppm and possibly adding to plant burn.

could seriously use any insight on ph.

upped the watering schedule in the buckets to once a day to help keep the ph in check. super frustrating and a bit frightening. am going thru 8 - 10L in water per plant per day just to correct the ph. these are frigging seedlings. i've never used that in a wk, let alone a day, when i was in soil. god i miss soil.

to reduce the amount of water i've started buffering down below ph 5 to start. then i amend the buckets til i get to 5.8. not sure this is advisable. normally i'd amend using water at ph 5.5.

have cal-mag and / or other nute issues. this is a struggle. when they are this small any problem looks like every other problem. i went to cal-mag as i've had this before under cobs and it was the first thing i could think of. i'm just a bit weaker on the cal-mag than recommended strength for now. doing 10 ml in 20L of water. it pushes the ppm to about 95, leaving no room for other nutes. i try not to go above 120ppm on seedlings this small.

just on ro with the cal-mag for the last 48. no other nutes, not even background levels. worried, as i think they are gonna need a feed. they used so much energy just keeping alive til now. not sure how i can feed them without burning them up.

all advice welcome. this is kind of a dead thread tho. pretty much on my own.

the good news. they got some color back. insanely, they even started pushing new growth in the last 48 hrs, even while yellow. they still look super pale to me tho, and incredibly stunted. i'm used to plants measured in inches, not a few
centimeters, by this day in soil.

was so sketched out and rushed i never got pics. am gonna go tend them today and will get a few and post up.

oh yeah, the clones have had it. turned all my attention to keeping what i had alive.

take care 420

:peace:

dunno what to think. been getting my ass kicked soundly on this one. i would go soil, but am not allowed to do so in this space as i don't own it.

Over the past year I’ve gone through 12-16 cu ft of perlite with hempies and never had the slightest issues. I’ve got no idea what your issues are being caused by but heres some differences between my system and yours:

I don’t know if I’d recommended it, but I don’t PH my hempies at all. Last time I bothered to check, I had similar PH fluctuations to you (although not close to as bad). It drove me crazy checking and trying to stay on top of it so I decided to just see what would happen if I didn’t and was rewarded with healthy stress free plants.

In June I switched to nothing but MegaCrop and CalMag and have had great success in veg. In flower I’ve been experimenting with some extra additives.

I don’t add any nutes at all to my clones until well rooted and seedlings for about two weeks.

I use 100% perlite.

I start in 32oz paint buckets, then transplant to 1gal paint buckets then to 2gal. But I’ve used cups like yours with no issues (except eventually getting root bound).

What kind of pots are you using? What kind of perlite and vermiculite? Is it possible they are leaching something?

Maybe some of the above could help, try posting on the hempy headquarters thread for some more experienced eyes to take a look.

Good luck.
:passitleft:

Over the past year I’ve gone through 12-16 cu ft of perlite with hempies and never had the slightest issues. I’ve got no idea what your issues are being caused by but heres some differences between my system and yours:

I don’t know if I’d recommended it, but I don’t PH my hempies at all. Last time I bothered to check, I had similar PH fluctuations to you (although not close to as bad). It drove me crazy checking and trying to stay on top of it so I decided to just see what would happen if I didn’t and was rewarded with healthy stress free plants.

In June I switched to nothing but MegaCrop and CalMag and have had great success in veg. In flower I’ve been experimenting with some extra additives.

I don’t add any nutes at all to my clones until well rooted and seedlings for about two weeks.

I use 100% perlite.

I start in 32oz paint buckets, then transplant to 1gal paint buckets then to 2gal. But I’ve used cups like yours with no issues (except eventually getting root bound).

What kind of pots are you using? What kind of perlite and vermiculite? Is it possible they are leaching something?

Maybe some of the above could help, try posting on the hempy headquarters thread for some more experienced eyes to take a look.

Good luck.
:passitleft:

Cheers dr. have gotten similar advice to stop chasing ph local. and other stating it's absolutely crucial. headspin right now lol.

the water itself races to neutral. buffered or not. bottled / covered or not. i'm guessing the media is not helping as well as it rises faster in the hempy than alone. my understanding of hempy was the watering schedule was mainly to amend the ph and not for feeding. probably gonna have to toss that idea in the trash.

i'm at a point in the timeline where i should probably be adding something for nutes. however, they are way back and i'm just at a guess and see moment.

i'll get some pics up tonight so everyone can have a gander.

was gonna cross post in the hempy threads after i had some pics and more info. been rushing and am really sketched right now. hate freaking on the webs lol.

super appreciate you stopping by. :thumb:

Hey Blister how's it going?

I've got no advice to give, so I've stayed quite.

Hope your having some luck bringing your girls round.

:Namaste:

i'm getting a better handle on it. implemented a bunch of changes and have given them a couple days to respond. update with pics soon.

Hey hey mr.Bluter I'm not sure what to advice as never tried hempy but shitty on the stroke of misfortune though..... I believe dr.Doob is solid with his advice so see how that works out moving forward....... We live and learn every day......

i agree. i quit chasing the ph isssue at least for now. i may have figgered out the root cause as well.

the real story here is how amazing these plants are. can't believe they made it through. as awful as it was it would have been useful to get pics when they were at the worst. not sure what i'm gonna wind up with, but the seedlings are still going.

:green_heart:

hi gang it's

day 23

omigawddatsbenascayr last coupla days.

the seedlings are still with us. thru no talent of my own. maybe a clone too at behest of my mom.

at day 20 on the emergency transplant i flushed the 5L pots with 20L ro mixed with 20 ML cal mag straight ph'd to 5.80. used the whole shot. didn't bother with ppm, for seedlings it was hot. dialed light back to 50%.

by morning they went from banana yellow to something more hopeful.
this was day 21

full

everything pushed new growth but tipped and burnt as it did

full

kept what i could on the stalks at transplant and just hoped for the best

dunno how this one is here

full

super pale and still having it hard

tall one took it the best

full

trimmed the dead stuff off 12 hrs in and flushed again at 10ML cal mag in 20L ro ph'd to 5.80.

was just happy to see some color return at this point.

group shot.

full

been watching like a hawk for any changes. they were pushing new growth but everything was coming in a bit pale and you can see i'm still having issues with stuff tipping and burning as soon as it's in.

day 22

white cookie

full

this could be shock, a deficiency, or light burn. haven't been able to dial it out yet. at least they pulled some color in.

other white cookie

full

light has been dialed back to 50% to help with shock etc in the emergency transplant. it seems weak to me, but it may be slowing the leaf burn. it's 42 inches above the pots.

this cbdream is having it the toughest. it literally spun a 180 to point upward. something super odd must have happened at planting or transplant. left it in the hope it figgers it out.

full

everything is getting one L once a day since day 22. i pulled the cal mag back to 1/4 strength and added a shot of nitrogen. nitrogen is courtesy of the advanced nutrients micro and is a 5 - 0 - 1. both were mixed at 2.5 ML to 20 L of ro. gave me a ppm of 50 total. stopped trying to amend the ph and have been feeding everything at a straight ph 5.8. my run off ph is through the roof at 6.6 to 6.9.

full

sorry for the blur shot. with everything in recovery it's hard to tell if the yellow is on it's way out, or a sign of other / more trouble.

the clones were decimated. while it was a shame, they kinda looked like they were approaching pre-flower, and might have been a handful on their own if they had taken.

one of them had root structure tho, and my mom told me to try it anyway. so i hucked it in straight perlite and it got the same treatment the rest get.

full

poor thing. it's actually looking a tad better than this right now.

day 22 i also put everything on an 18 - 6 light schedule, including a 1 hour morning and evening period of super weak burple. they seemed to respond positively to the rest. i have each light on a separate timer.

i upped the cal-mag by one ML in the mix and left the nitrogen where it was. pushed my ppm to 70, which is still super weak, even for seedlings.

day 23

things are continuing to look a bit better under the new regime. still not out of the woods yet, and i'm running out of ideas.

the white cookies definitely started looking better

full

other white cookie

full

it continues showing trouble at the leaf tips. hoping the new growth is not as affected. having real trials trying to get ahead of this problem right now. i hate cross posting, but i'm probably gonna ask for opinions in the hempy thread.

this cbdream is messed up and sensitive to absolutely everything.

full

no idea at all what to think about that.

the tall cbdream is probably going to make it if i don't mess things up further. it's showing it's own issues tho.

full

i want to up the nutes a touch but it's really thin ice. not sure i can give them what they are looking for without burning them. pretty sure i can't dial back the cal mag to make room for anything else. since they did bounce back i'm hopeful i didn't lock anything out.

the run off ph continues sky high. i'm also getting a higher ppm out than what goes in, so the media is probably leaching. i've made the decision to solidly follow @DrDoob 's advice and am only monitoring ph out, not attempting to correct it. my ppm out is at 95 - 100, and i'm only 50 - 70 in right now. i'm losing about 150 ML per plant a day to evaporation or drinking as well.

the water itself stabilized. it was spiking up to ph 7 or higher on it's own without running thru the media. i traced the issue to the new ro membrane i put in the filter. it got flushed on install, but likely continued leaching out til recently. the ph still creeps up by .5 or so over 24 hrs, but has stopped spiking so dramatically. i'll take that as a win.

evening ramp down burple shot. apologies to @Chris Scorpio lol.

full

the clips let me know who's been watered or not.

room conditions have remained stable stable stable throughout.

full

the chill occurred before the plants were in the room. the hot spike happened before the fan was turned on. it now runs 24 - 7.

any and all opinions / advice is super appreciated.

Sup man? Sorry to hear about your troubles with hempy. I fudged my first one up pretty bad too. I was using AN and my pH was EVERYWHERE. Like 4.4 to 7.8 in a 24hr period. Not blaming AN cuz it worked the treat in dwc but swapped nutes, for some reason or another, from AN to the GH Maxi series and dusted off my pH pen and CaMg. No more chasing deficiencies and lock-outs due to erratic pH. I live in the NorthEast US and its very humid this year so im using like 99% perlite/1% vermiculite(in the top 4 or 5 inches of the perlite to help with root mass closer to the surface. It has helped tremendously btw).
What lights are you using for your seedlings? The cobs? Maybe they are too much for the wee ones? Dunno. I start my seeds/clones in solo cups of 100% perlite under a 120w(equivalent) cfl and 100w(eqiv.) household led bulb, both 2700k daylight. When they get stronger i start them with my led waaaayyyy up high. Ive fried a few little ones. Few big ones too. Get em too close and ledsll fry the shit outta your tops. LoL im losing track... Been puffing on some chemdawg...
Anyway dont get discouraged man. We all hit bumps but after trying soil and dwc and coco, perlite hempy is easy af and grows some sticky big ladies with relative hands off-ness.

Back
Top Bottom