Bonsaiweed's Dwarf Low Flyer, Indoor Tent, Soil, LED, First Grow, 2018, Terminated

Ok, so I've taken the plunge. This isn't truly my first attempt at growing, but it will be the first one I hope to take to finish. Last one I had to get rid of (about 20 years ago), and the other we won't discuss (it was a joke, I didn't know anything).

My Equipment:

Accurite Temperature and hygrometer

Bluelab pH pen

Soil (I will eventually be using NOTG soil, but my local supplier had NONE and was back ordered. He has me on a call list.
for now, I'll be using Scotts potting in the peat cup). I know, not the optimum.

3 Gallon fabric pots

NOTG nutrients (sample pack)

Mars Hydro Tent 27 x27 x 63. I know small, but I"m not going for large crops

MorsenReflector 1200w LED (advertised to draw 235w at wall)

4-inch fan, filter and speed control.

For germination:

A sunblaster nano dome

Ipower germination mat with temp control

Specifics on the grow:

What strain is it? Crop King's Dwarf Low Flyer
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid - 70% Indica 20% Sativa 10% Ruderalis
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Seed
If in Flower stage... For how long? No
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? 70% soil 30% vermiculite
If soil... What size pot? 3-gallon fabric pot after seedling
Size of light? 1200w led - 235w at the wall
Tent size: small - 27" x 27" x 63"
Temp of Tent? Between 70-77F
RH of Room/cab? 50%
How often are you watering? When needed - about every 3 days.
Type and strength of ferts used? NOTG, not used yet.

So I put two beans in distilled water

Then I covered the bowl with a saucer just to ensure a light-tight situation (poor location for total darkness)

Dome is in place to maintain a humid environment (thermal mass of the water is to hold the tray down to the germination mat (set at 70) and prevent fast swings of temp

My grow journal with only one entry.

I've really started....woot.

I hope to learn a bunch from everyone. Now to get these babies birthed!!!

I highly recommend it imtoasted. Trying to find info in your journal is never as easy as you thought it would be. Lol!

Off to a good start Bonsaiweed. :high-five: Now I'm interested in learning what you don't believe you have patience for, growing or journaling?

Also, what light are you using that gives you that power with such a minimal draw from the wall? Oops! I see you already told us.

I have a log book also and really like it. Except if I'm upstairs it's downstairs and vise versa. I try to record daily all the environmental and nutrient data.

Off to a good start Bonsaiweed. :high-five: Now I'm interested in learning what you don't believe you have patience for, growing or journaling?

I don't think I have the patience for growing...the journal is easy..... ;)

I don't think I have the patience for growing...the journal is easy..... ;)

Hahaha! The plants will get you through. Lol! We'll do our best to keep you focused. :cheer:

Ok, so I've taken the plunge. This isn't truly my first attempt at growing, but it will be the first one I hope to take to finish. Last one I had to get rid of (about 20 years ago), and the other we won't discuss (it was a joke, I didn't know anything).

My Equipment:

Accurite Temperature and hygrometer

Bluelab pH pen

Soil (I will eventually be using NOTG soil, but my local supplier had NONE and was back ordered. He has me on a call list.
for now, I'll be using Scotts potting in the peat cup). I know, not the optimum.

3 Gallon fabric pots

NOTG nutrients (sample pack)

Mars Hydro Tent 27 x27 x 63. I know small, but I"m not going for large crops

MorsenReflector 1200w LED (advertised to draw 235w at wall)

4-inch fan, filter and speed control.

For germination:

A sunblaster nano dome

Ipower germination mat with temp control

Specifics on the grow:

What strain is it? Crop King's Dwarf Low Flyer
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid - 70% Indica 20% Sativa 10% Ruderalis
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Seed
If in Flower stage... For how long? No
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? 70% soil 30% vermiculite
If soil... What size pot? 3-gallon fabric pot after seedling
Size of light? 1200w led - 235w at the wall
Tent size: small - 27" x 27" x 63"
Temp of Tent? Between 70-77F
RH of Room/cab? 50%
How often are you watering? When needed - about every 3 days.
Type and strength of ferts used? NOTG, not used yet.

So I put two beans in distilled water

Then I covered the bowl with a saucer just to ensure a light-tight situation (poor location for total darkness)

Dome is in place to maintain a humid environment (thermal mass of the water is to hold the tray down to the germination mat (set at 70) and prevent fast swings of temp

My grow journal with only one entry.

I've really started....woot.

I hope to learn a bunch from everyone. Now to get these babies birthed!!!

Subbed in for the ride ask anything you want. No dumb questions here

Keep it Frosty:cool:

Checked on the babies, and we have some birthing!! The seeds will probably go into soil tonight. I would wait longer, but these are dwarfs and need all the growing they can get. The second picture sucks, but the bean has opened slightly. Time is ticking now for the flower stage.

I didn't like the temps in the germination dome, so I raised it after this picture. I upped it to 75 deg.

After that, I started working on the tent. Whew...that was a lot of work. I had to move tons of things to make a suitable place. Then I didn't have everything I needed to secure the fan filter, and power cords.

I'm also worried about light height. I'm at the top with the light hangar, and only have about 4 feet of space left. I hope this light doesn't tend to burn plants when it gets close.

I'll finish it up tonight when I get a chance.

Thanks Sue, and Sly. I hope I can make everyone proud. Including myself. :eek:

It's a process......

nice setup you have should work quite well for you.

good to see your beans making their plunge into life.

I like to leave them in paper towel until their tap roots are about 3/4in long. then put them in a solo cup with seedling mix.

i also put them under a dome to help with root growth and keep humidity up.

keep everything simple, don't try to many things at one time. best advice you can get.

Patience IS important HAHA (i'm not either)

If you want come check out my Journal has some ideas and thoughts to help.

Keep it Frosty and have Fun:cool::goodjob:

nice setup you have should work quite well for you.

good to see your beans making their plunge into life.

I like to leave them in paper towel until their tap roots are about 3/4in long. then put them in a solo cup with seedling mix.

i also put them under a dome to help with root growth and keep humidity up.

keep everything simple, don't try to many things at one time. best advice you can get.

Patience IS important HAHA (i'm not either)

If you want come check out my Journal has some ideas and thoughts to help.

Keep it Frosty and have Fun:cool::goodjob:

I'm having a great time. I waited a very long time to grow. Not sure how long I want to leave the seeds with tap roots in the paper towel. I may leave them another day depending on how they look tonight.

I'm quite impatient right now. But you guys do help to keep me grounded and doing the right thing.

I will drop by your journal. I like to watch others as they grow. Keeps me focus on the process and the end result.

:smokin:

Like the setup. It is amazing how many little things you need. Just when you think you have everything there is that last one item.

Yeah, and the tally for the cost keeps rising. I just spent another $25 just to finish up the tent set up, and things for LST.

Not sure of the actual total.....I probably don't want to know. I just know, if I do this right, and Karma is on my side, it will pay for itself in about 60 days.

:ganjamon:

So, last night when I checked on the seeds I was greeted with tap roots about 5/8 in long. One of the seeds was open enough it was about to send out the sprout top. I figured it was time for the soil. One seed was big (about to send out sprout), the other quite small. Both seem healthy.

So I had to finish up the tent to a point where I could place the germination dome in the tent. I still have to run the exhaust to a window, but it's ready to go otherwise.

After all of that (while I was hurting from a kidney stone.....I have lots of those) I prepared pots.

I mixed up my super secret soil recipe (1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 worm casting compost, 1/3 Scotts potting mix, with mychorrhizal fungi added). The potting mix already had perlite in it. I just want to make sure it drained well.

I saturated the soil after it was placed in peat cups. I then planted the seeds (root down), in a hole made with my small finger, and pressed the soil around the seed gently. The water was distilled, with nothing added.

They are now under the dome with the dome light running 18/6. Inside the dome, I have the water jug for thermal mass (slows down temperature swings), a bowl of water for humidity, and the plants. This is all still sitting on a germination mat set to 77 deg F. The temps shown were right after I got through. The system hadn't warmed back up.

I misted the soil this morning before I left.

Everything at this point seems to be moving forward correctly. I haven't used the fancy pH pen yet. I still need to calibrate it.

Hope to see something above soil this evening, but I think that may take a day or so.

Hey Bonsai

I used the solo cups for 3 seeds and Peat pots for 3 seeds as you seen in my Journal. I found the Peat pots have put the plants about 1 week behind. i don`t recommend them.

Just my 2 cents.

And i cut my peat pots down today haha.

Keep it Frosty Bud:cool:

Did you dome them? If you didn't I'm not surprised. The peat pots dry out quickly. Mine are in a humidity dome for that reason. The solo cups hold better moisture, so in the open air, they will do better.

I'm working on a hypothesis at this point.....not real-world knowledge.

My peat cups will be planted pretty soon. When they come out of the dome, they will be in 3 gallon fabric pots.

I may find your recommendation accurate. But for now, I'll just have to stay the course. I'm not moving them at this point. I could drop the peat cup into a solo cup..... That might be a good idea. :thumb:

I'll drop one into a solo cup (the whole thing), then we have a control.....

Back
Top Bottom