Books to Blaze to

glassONglass

I know reading is probably considered "old school" with all the video games and movies we have access to now, but I still really enjoy a good book that makes you think or just gives you something productive to do with your time. Does anyone have any suggestions for books they've read or heard good things about? make sure you give a little synopsis of the story and not just a name...

I really enjoyed The Stand by stephen king. its been a long time since i've read it but the book is an incredible story of life after the end of the world, and how the different characters cope with the situation. the entire story falls into place as a classic good vs evil plotline. definitely a good read if you have the time (i think it's 1000 some pages...)

anybody else have a book they can recommend? i'm really trying to get back into reading but i don't even know where to begin. i appreciate any advice out there.

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. Historical account of the battle at Gettysburg, told from the prespective of the main figures in first person. It won the Pulitizer, its excellent

If you liked The Stand, you might like his Dark Tower series. It's 7 books for a total of like 3500 pages, but it is an amazing story. It also ties in with The Stand and a lot of his other books as well (Insomnia and Salem's Lot, mostly.) It's not much at all like his other books, it's more of a fantasy than a horror, and he often refers to it as his masterpiece. He started righting the first book back in 1970, and the last one just came out in 05 or 06.

Anything by Terry Pratchett, I most recently finished Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman, good shit.

I know many people on this site are a fan of Hunter S. Thompson but his first novel called The Rum Diary is really good. He was in his early twenties when he wrote it and it is definitely a great start to his career.

Dunlap's suggestions are excellent if you like Stephen King, I also really enjoyed IT, Needful things, Carrie and Firestarter by King aswell.
What other genres are you interested in?

If you liked The Stand, you might like his Dark Tower series. It's 7 books for a total of like 3500 pages, but it is an amazing story. It also ties in with The Stand and a lot of his other books as well (Insomnia and Salem's Lot, mostly.) It's not much at all like his other books, it's more of a fantasy than a horror, and he often refers to it as his masterpiece. He started righting the first book back in 1970, and the last one just came out in 05 or 06.

Yeah, read the whole series about a year and a half ago. You cannot go wrong with this series. The tie-ins to other books and story cannot be beat. For me, I read most of it blazed and loved every minute.

Other great books would be Dean Koontz's: The Taking, Fear Nothing, Midnight.

Dan Brown's: The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress, Deception Point.

All books I've listed read very fast and usually I couldn't put one down when I started. The ones underlined would be the one to read first from that author. Good reading.

i'm taking notes... yeah i love dean koontz too. i read all of his books to date as of like 3 years ago when i cut back. what genre are hunter thompson and terry pratchet considered? i've never heard of him. the dark tower series is definitely something i need to pick up though, i keep hearing good things about it.

Dan Brown's: The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress, Deception Point.

YES, Dan Brown is a badass author. Angels & Demons is probably my favorite. They read really fast, and you'll feel like you're learning as you're reading. I used to read his books at work, and more than once I'd stay an extra half hour or hour after work just so I could keep reading. :laughtwo:

I'm glad this topic came up becuase alot of people think reading is stupid. It keeps your mind sharp and besides that, its refreshing to turn off the "boob tube" and read a book for a few days.

Dunlap, PM me and tell me what you thought about the Dark Tower ending. I don't want to ruin it for glassONglass or anyone planning to read it.

I just finished reading Jack London's the Sea Wolf. Its a great book and personally its just what i need when im baked

i loved dan brown's angels and demons and the davinci code but of course they had to go ahead and ruin the story as i imagined it by making it into a lame movie. i don't think i can appreciate a movie made out of a book because the movie always portrays people and events in totally different directions that i'd pictured. thanks for the ideas, i need to hit up amazon when my bank account's out of the red. i found my copy of the stand though so that should keep me occupied for a little while. does anyone else find themselves skipping over text when they go back to read a book. i can't help fast forwarding a paragraph or two when i know there's nothing terribly important ahead of me. keep those books coming! peace

Anything by Tom Robbins.
I'd recommend Jitterbug Perfume or even Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. Very lyrical, excellent imagery and use of literary devices. They are great stoned reads.

It might not be your cup of tea, but Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit are great reads. I really enjoyed reading Hemingways short story compilations, they are convenient for quick reads on the commute, etc. Anne Rice's Vampire stuff is fun to read, again if that's your thing. One of my favorite books as a kid was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Keep blazin' and reading, both are great mental exercise.

hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

funny AND deep
or the national geographic magazine, that's funny.

I'm definitely not an avid reader, but there is one book I seem to enjoy if I'm just sitting around after smoking. The book is called Parallel Universes by Fred Alan Wolf. Some of the stuff just gets my mind thinking and there are some pretty interesting things, I would recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom