Boost Strips

Minimum wattage: 18.2 watts, maximum wattage: 53.2 watts. How hard you run them would probably depend on how good a cooling setup you build for the things, of course. I just did some web-searching and it looks like, on average, at least ten for a 4'x4' space. Mainly what I got were threads full of people mentioning how these things were never in stock. Apparently, PLC isn't in a real big hurry to build them, lol. But, anyway, a 4'x4' space is 16 square feet, and Your... er... Scrooge is 20 square feet, so maybe 12 or 13?

If they're still selling for $28 each just for the strips, that looks like an expensive lighting project.

Appreciate the response, bud. I was thinking 16 so we're along the same lines. $400-500 plus a driver, heat sinks, and random hardware doesn't seem too bad. I suppose that's all relative though. Sure beats some pre-built setups with comparable components. Is limited supply due to demand, or the lack of production? I don't know...
I take it you haven't heard of the Scrooge method? It's similar to the scrog, just grumpier All the cool kids are doing it

Anyway. Thanks for chiming in.

Appreciate the response, bud. I was thinking 16 so we're along the same lines.

Probably a more reasonable estimate. Efficiency drops when one runs more power through them, so if you can afford to run at lower power levels and make up for it by adding more strips, you'll end up with more light for the same amount of electricity. Adds to the build cost, of course. But it'd be the way to go if you're concerned about running too close to your electrical system's maximum capacity. The individual strips would produce less heat, too, so it might allow for more cooling options.

$400-500 plus a driver, heat sinks, and random hardware doesn't seem too bad.

Well, for a 20 square foot grow space (I'm making the assumption that you're going to install some kind of partition between your grow space and the rest of the room in order to not waste whatever amount of light that would, otherwise, end up "bleeding over"), that's really not that bad. I just added up the cost of the three store-bought products (in other words, not assembled from individual components or even kits) that I'm hoping to use in a 10.5625 square foot tent and the list price, before discounts, totals $429.97. Different manufacturers but same general technology, I think. You'll have to source the components and assemble them yourself, but this gives you far more options in terms of placement / footprint size than I'll have with only three devices instead of 16 or thereabouts. And ALL of your stuff will be adjustable for wattage, while only one of mine is (maximum 150 watts), while the other two are non-adjustable 134-watt devices.

So... Yeah, I withdraw my comment about the expense.

I don't know the answer to the "out of stock" question, either. I looked on PLC's website and it appears that the strip product, a wireless lighting controller, and a constant current power supply are the only lighting-related components that they sell. Those, four models of Gorilla grow tents, ratchet (rope) hangers, baseball cap and coffee mug with "GG logo," and some cheesy cannabis-related posters appear to be it for the company, so maybe it's just one guy with a soldering iron who must build those lighting strips from parts (probably somewhat labor intensive when you get into quantities). If so, he's not going to be capable of selling hundreds at a time, and he probably isn't able to purchase parts in lots of 10,000, either. Or maybe the company has one of the (many) entities in the PRC who do that sort of thing build the strips for him. If that's the case, there might have been quality control issues (not a terribly uncommon occurrence) that could have cost a fair chunk of change to deal with and maybe necessitate finding a different entity to do the manufacturing. Being (what looks like) a small business, it wouldn't have the same... ability to negotiate from a position of strength, so to speak, in things like that.

Or could just be that Samsung is unable to keep up with demand. I check websites from time to time when I feel like dreaming (lol) and occasionally notice "out of stock" notes. But then things come back in stock, so... IDK.

No, never heard of the Scrooge method. Did the scrog thing for years, from before it became a "named" thing until a few years ago. A few times, I tried to kind of curve the screen to somewhat match the output of an HID, but I just always called that scrog, too. I just did some general web-searching and, when that didn't produce anything, I used the web-search engine to do site-searches at the usual forums where information might be found (this one, RiU, GC, OG, A/F (which appears to be down), Mr.N, Sensi Seeds' little forum, couple others). I couldn't find anything other than some comment in passing that "... or SCROG, in English" (was a non-English forum) and a couple instances of where people meant to type scrog but ended up typing scrooge, probably because they were using a cell phone and their phone's auto-mangle feature kicked in and did its job.

Hey, wait a minute, you're putting me on, aren't you?

Lol.

I hope if/when you manage to source the components you need for your lighting build, you'll post a thread here about the process (and, perhaps, do a grow journal thread showing how the setup performs). I expect that it'll be a pretty popular thread.

Good luck on everything!

Probably a more reasonable estimate. Efficiency drops when one runs more power through them, so if you can afford to run at lower power levels and make up for it by adding more strips, you'll end up with more light for the same amount of electricity. Adds to the build cost, of course. But it'd be the way to go if you're concerned about running too close to your electrical system's maximum capacity. The individual strips would produce less heat, too, so it might allow for more cooling options.

Well, for a 20 square foot grow space (I'm making the assumption that you're going to install some kind of partition between your grow space and the rest of the room in order to not waste whatever amount of light that would, otherwise, end up "bleeding over"), that's really not that bad. I just added up the cost of the three store-bought products (in other words, not assembled from individual components or even kits) that I'm hoping to use in a 10.5625 square foot tent and the list price, before discounts, totals $429.97. Different manufacturers but same general technology, I think. You'll have to source the components and assemble them yourself, but this gives you far more options in terms of placement / footprint size than I'll have with only three devices instead of 16 or thereabouts. And ALL of your stuff will be adjustable for wattage, while only one of mine is (maximum 150 watts), while the other two are non-adjustable 134-watt devices.

I don't know the answer to the "out of stock" question, either. I looked on PLC's website and it appears that the strip product, a wireless lighting controller, and a constant current power supply are the only lighting-related components that they sell. Those, four models of Gorilla grow tents, ratchet (rope) hangers, baseball cap and coffee mug with "GG logo," and some cheesy cannabis-related posters appear to be it for the company, so maybe it's just one guy with a soldering iron who must build those lighting strips from parts (probably somewhat labor intensive when you get into quantities). If so, he's not going to be capable of selling hundreds at a time, and he probably isn't able to purchase parts in lots of 10,000, either. Or maybe the company has one of the (many) entities in the PRC who do that sort of thing build the strips for him. If that's the case, there might have been quality control issues (not a terribly uncommon occurrence) that could have cost a fair chunk of change to deal with and maybe necessitate finding a different entity to do the manufacturing. Being (what looks like) a small business, it wouldn't have the same... ability to negotiate from a position of strength, so to speak, in things like that.

Or could just be that Samsung is unable to keep up with demand. I check websites from time to time when I feel like dreaming (lol) and occasionally notice "out of stock" notes. But then things come back in stock, so... IDK.

No, never heard of the Scrooge method. Did the scrog thing for years, from before it became a "named" thing until a few years ago. A few times, I tried to kind of curve the screen to somewhat match the output of an HID, but I just always called that scrog, too. I just did some general web-searching and, when that didn't produce anything, I used the web-search engine to do site-searches at the usual forums where information might be found (this one, RiU, GC, OG, A/F (which appears to be down), Mr.N, Sensi Seeds' little forum, couple others). I couldn't find anything other than some comment in passing that "... or SCROG, in English" (was a non-English forum) and a couple instances of where people meant to type scrog but ended up typing scrooge, probably because they were using a cell phone and their phone's auto-mangle feature kicked in and did its job.

Lol.

I hope if/when you manage to source the components you need for your lighting build, you'll post a thread here about the process (and, perhaps, do a grow journal thread showing how the setup performs). I expect that it'll be a pretty popular thread.

Good luck on everything!

That's a ton of info. Again... thanks for your time. Time seems to become more and more valuable.
About the "Scrooge" method. I was being sarcastic. My phone auto'd that mistake.

I'm going to put together a strip light because the technology appeals to me the most. And I can build a frame to cover my entire grow area. I'm using a dedicated room that is a little over 7 feet by almost 6 feet. I want to keep a foot of space all the way around the scrog net so I'm able to move around the entire setup. I suppose this will lend itself to some leakage, but I'm ok with that. So far the benefits outweighs the drawbacks. I can always change the setup down the road if I change my mind. That has been known to happen.

The reason for the thread was really to assure I have enough light intensity to achieve a good yield. If I can do that with 16 of these strips I'd be stoked. If I need to add something extra, I'd like to hear some suggestions.

[QUOTE="JollyRodger,

I'm going to put together a strip light because the technology appeals to me the most. And I can build a frame to cover my entire grow area. I'm using a dedicated room that is a little over 7 feet by almost 6 feet. I want to keep a foot of space all the way around the scrog net so I'm able to move around the entire setup. I suppose this will lend itself to some leakage, but I'm ok with that. So far the benefits outweighs the drawbacks. I can always change the setup down the road if I change my mind. That has been known to happen.

Welcome JR. If you only leave a foot around your grow it will be oh so tight trying to do any sort of work on your plants. Also makes for a 4x5 foot grow area which will be almost impossible to reach into the middle of as the grow progresses.

[/QUOTE]

At the expense of getting off topic, you've read my mind, Joe. During planning of this setup I knew it was going to be rough. Unfortunately the room size isn't going to change, and I don't want a smaller area to grow. I know a 12" perimeter will be tight, but I think doable. I was also thinking 2 separate scrog grids in order to get in the middle, but after deliberation, I thought that would be lost grow space without much to gain.

If you only leave a foot around your grow it will be oh so tight trying to do any sort of work on your plants. Also makes for a 4x5 foot grow area which will be almost impossible to reach into the middle of as the grow progresses.

I'll leave it up to the OP as to whether he'll be able to maneuver himself around in a 1' wide channel. But as to the bold part of the quote: It'll certainly become interesting, lol. A complete accessible perimeter like he's planning will help loads, because he's only going to have to go from the edge to the center, not from one or two sides all the way to the other side. But... Yes. I found that a 2.5' x 3.2' space became difficult to work on from only one side, and that was oriented so that I was accessing along the wide part (so only having to reach 2.5' from the access point to the rear wall). It'll probably be doable, but no treat.

If only we had more than one pair of elbows ;) .The real fun begins when your screen starts getting really populated, so to speak, and you end up having to reposition a dozen stem ends just to open one hole to reposition the first stem that you decide to move to a different hole - and you realize that you've got 70 more to move.

That day:rofl:. It can be a productive method. Very productive, if one disregards the lengthy vegetative growth phase that's normally done to fill a sizable screen with one plant (multiple plants are their own form of interesting, especially when it comes time to harvest the first plant and you realize that the other one(s) isn't/aren't ready yet and, therefore, instead of simply sawing through one main trunk (and it can be a trunk, thick as your wrist, on a relatively large plant), disconnecting the screen from the walls, and having a helper assist you in carrying the entire screen to the dining room table... you have to figure out how to remove that one plant without affecting the other(s)).

But the trade-off to the productivity aspect isn't just in the extended growth phase - it's in the effort of maintaining it on a daily basis. Budget an hour per day when the screen starts getting loaded. You might not need that much time, but it wouldn't surprise me. I usually went with a 14" distance from the top of the container to the screen. But that is up to the gardener, so if you think another inch or two will help with access, that's an option.

Great way to have a grow if your light(s) don't penetrate as well as the sun does, though.

These are Samsung based strips. And I have 16 of them in my possession. Guess I ordered at the right time, because they were in stock when I decided to pull the trigger. Now to just figure out how I want to arrange them to get the most out of them.

Lol.

Good luck on everything!
I keep seeing the samsung strips mentioned here a lot, but I can't seem to find where to obtain them completely assembled, or preferably DIY kit. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks and have an excellent day!

I keep seeing the samsung strips mentioned here a lot, but I can't seem to find where to obtain them completely assembled, or preferably DIY kit. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks and have an excellent day!

You can buy the strips on digikey or alibaba. Probably other sources as well. I suggest watching growmau5 on YouTube if you want to diy your own kit. Some of his videos are lengthy but full of valuable info to size heat sinks and drivers.
I bought the pacific light concepts strips because i wanted the lm301b leds and I liked(wanted) the added Cree reds on the strips, although they are not necessary. You'd definitely get the same for less if you just bought the Samsung strips.

You can buy the strips on digikey or alibaba. Probably other sources as well. I suggest watching growmau5 on YouTube if you want to diy your own kit. Some of his videos are lengthy but full of valuable info to size heat sinks and drivers.
I bought the pacific light concepts strips because i wanted the lm301b leds and I liked(wanted) the added Cree reds on the strips, although they are not necessary. You'd definitely get the same for less if you just bought the Samsung strips.
Nice JollyRodger! Both are a great source. I'll also check out pacific too. Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom